What's new

2.4 misfiring - cylinder 3

gazman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer Type S
My 2.4 just started misfiring after a 200 mile trip to down to London. Perfect drive all the way at a very steady pace as it was raining like mad. Get within a mile of where I'm going and I'm sat at a level crossing for 5+ mins waiting for a train to pass. All of a sudden the idle goes lumpy and the CEL lights up.

Arrive at my friends and scan the code and it gives P0303 and a P0300 random misfire. Over the weekend I replace the spark plugs as I knew they needed doing but to no improvement. All spark plugs looked reasonably used but not terrible and there was no sign of oil or anything in or around the holes.

I've also tried swapping the coils over from cylinder 4 to cylinder 3 to see if the problem followed but it has remained the same. Usually when I first start up the engine runs correctly and if I gently raise the revs to around 3k all 4 cylinders begin to fire again. Driving slowly at low revs or idling for a minute and the misfire comes back.

I'm going to do a valve clearance check as soon as this terrible weather passes. Oil consumption is pretty much non existant - I checked before leaving and again at my friends down south and it was right near the upper line and have not needed to top up in months.

I am not sure if the fuel filter has been replaced recently/ever but not sure if that would cause these symptoms. I'm still sort of leaning towards something electrical as the engine kicks back into life as the revs rise.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Try spraying some WD40 on the coils and leads as you may have got some damp intrusion.

What did the plug that came out of cylinder 3 look like compared to the others?

Swop injectors with another cylinder as the others have said. How many miles has it done?

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I checked the valve clearances and the exhaust valves were miles out at about 0.2mm. Adjusted to 0.28mm and cleared the codes - totally transformed the car. Low end torque is back in spades and there is no sign of a misfire. Fingers crossed I caught it before there was any valve burning damage!

Nice work. How long a job was it to do? I fancy doing the K20 in our FRV at some point

Not too long a job at all in the end and now I've done it I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. May even do it once a year as part of yearly service!

I would stick a couple of pics up here but not sure how?

Just sign up with photobucket and upload them there then link to them here

They should only need doing every 25k but if you're comfortable checking them then there's no harm doing them every year

Paul do you know if the K20 needs them doing too or just the K24?

All the petrol engines will need them done every 25k apart from the 06 civic on which is 62.5k. The 2.2 diesel have hydraulic tappets

from the Honda service sheet pre 09 accord pre 06 civic type r(all) pre 07 Crv Jazz 02-05 Crv 04-06 & stream valve clearances are every 25k
06 civic on jazz 06 on Crv 07 on frv 1.8 accord 09 insight and Crz every 62500 miles.

Ok so I've got a set of feeler gauges, what should the clearances be on the K20a9 lump?

Inlet 0.21-0.25mm
Exhaust 0.28-0.32mm

I normally set them inbetween. Then do an ecm reset if they have needed a lot of adjustment

Couple of pics for you...here's a pic showing the cams and the adjuster screws at the front (inlet valves). To adjust you simply undo the locking nut then set the screw with the feeler gauges and lock it down. Rear (exhaust) are easier to get to since there's nothing in the way. The fronts are a pain especially if you don't have angled gauges.

20151116_115906.jpg

Here's a close up of the timing chain...I wasn't sure if the tiny marks on the chain were indication of an issue or not. I don't believe so though.

20151116_153626.jpg

Many thanks that's helpful pal.

^^ just to close this one out, we did the valve clearances on my wife's FRV. It's made a remarkable difference! Both inlet and exhaust side for cylinder 1 were a little loose and therefore outside the tolerance. 2-4 were all fine and within.

resetting the loose adjusters for cylinder 1 has made a great difference. We also cleaned the inlet manifold and throttle body at the same time and renewed the gaskets, as well as a full service. The car feels like it's gained another 10bhp and just has that responsiveness back that it seemed to have lost.

I would strongly suggest all K series owners have their valve clearances checked if not done recently.. you may be surprised!

I'd second this. Even if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself get a garage to do it as per the recommended schedule. It made the world of difference to mine and could potentially save your engine. I was worried I may have burnt a valve while the valve clearances were out and eventually ran a compression test to check. Luckily it was 185psi across the board which is great but it could have played out very differently if I'd not fixed the problem as quickly.