What's new

2005 accord will not start without priming bulb under bonnet

mikeypeo

Reaction score
Car
ACCORD TOURER CDTI
Hi all- I am an exasperated newbie on here.
I have had glow plug light on and flashing -Honda said fuel rail pressure lower than expected-need new filter. Had a local garage do the filter-was ok for 3-4 days and 150 miles but then on hard acceleration went into limp mode. Got it checked and reset then cut out altogether on hard acclelration and engine management light came on. Went back to Honda who replaced new filter with genuine one, now no lights on but will not start if left for more than 30 mins without manual priming with rubber bulb under bonnet. Honda are at a loss. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

you are dragging air into the system somewhere, check the clips on the pipes at the filter, and the pipes as well they could have been damaged during the refit. I beleive the manual refers to this.

Hi and welcome to TA.
It sounds to me as well there is air getting into the system.To bleed the system i believe there is a bleed screw that needs to be opened 1st.Then prime the system until no bubbles are coming out of the screw only diesel.
If this fails then there may be a hole in one of your fuel lines but to be honest if there was air being sucked in the car would keep conking out.

Yup, bad installation of fuel filter that's all. Is your car a facelift or pre facelift? They have different filters.

If it's a pre facelift then you have a Bosch filter. I would say, drain it from the bottom first, then prime it and then bleed it from the 10mm bolt on top of the filter. Then prime it again with the hand bulb and bleed it again for good measure.

Check and recheck all the hoses for splits and kinks and ensure the clips are all on correctly.

Yep defo sounds like fuel filter issue, tbh it can be hard to get rid of the air when a new one is fitted. Even when HH did mine I had a couple of occassions when I had to prime the bulb several times just after it had been done. To be fair I watched the install of the filter and it was 100%, HH even told me this might happen so it never came as a shock.

Only other thing I could imagine and its a long shot is an intermittent transponder fault. When it wont fire up first time, have a look at the dashboard and see whether the green key light is flashing. If it is the imobiliser is kicking in and the transponder has a fault, easy to check just get spare key. I doubt its this and it sounds like fuel filter but worth a mention as Ive seen this on another accord this week.

Yep defo sounds like fuel filter issue, tbh it can be hard to get rid of the air when a new one is fitted. Even when HH did mine I had a couple of occassions when I had to prime the bulb several times just after it had been done. To be fair I watched the install of the filter and it was 100%, HH even told me this might happen so it never came as a shock.

Only other thing I could imagine and its a long shot is an intermittent transponder fault. When it wont fire up first time, have a look at the dashboard and see whether the green key light is flashing. If it is the imobiliser is kicking in and the transponder has a fault, easy to check just get spare key. I doubt its this and it sounds like fuel filter but worth a mention as Ive seen this on another accord this week.
Andy iv had this prob twice when stalling the car :( is this the same thing.After stalling the car it took both times 4 turns of the key to start.

Andy iv had this prob twice when stalling the car :( is this the same thing.After stalling the car it took both times 4 turns of the key to start.

Dont know mate does the green key light flash if so its possible.

All I know is this Lady had a fault where the car would always start up in the morning but when she parked up and then tried to start again it would just turn over. After four to five attempts it would start. I was convinced it was the a fueling problem and checked everything but to cut a long story short it was the transponder that was the problem. Its been good as gold since, I noticed the key case was cracked so I think the transponder may have had too much movement inside the case and was too far away from the key. Im seeing the car again over xmas so will be swapping the transponders over as I think it may not be faulty. If so it will be a much cheaper fix for the lady in question which this time of year is always a win.

;);) ^^ a bit of transponder eh
Hey mate dont knock it shes that bird I told you about the one that had the compliance bush problem.............oh god that sounds so wrong :(

Err a bird with a bush problem?

That'll be monksy to the rescue then :(

Complaint or compliant?

So easy to get on the wrong side of that one! :lol:

hhmm... Compliant bushes - I miss Univeristy soooo bad!

Mate it all depends on the bush.

French are the worse (read "estate" like) in my experience. Closely followed by Spanish and Italian. In fact - my top, in order of preference:

Japanese
closely followed by Lancastrian

Then Gloucester.
Then Swedish (but only because it would have been rude not to;) )

That is from a fairly international grounding. Ahem.

No offence will be taken by the editing of this post :lol:.

Braun have a great range of products for this ;).

I said Braun, not Snap On ;)

Are we miss-referencing our foliage?

Thanks people for the advice. Air getting into the system has been suggested by a mechanic friend but I guess the problem is whether the air is residual from the ff change or whether there is a split pipe somewhere which may be hard to find. To make matters worse I have an aftermarket Warranty Wise warranty which having dealt with them before , it is very difficult to get them to accept a diagnosis and pay up. They will only pay for 1 hr diagnostics max. Need to follow procedure to the letter incase its a diesel pump/injector problem?

Also just my luck to have two fuel filters installed incorrectly from two garages-one being a Honda dealer! It is back in today for more work. Do I suggest to them that air is still residual from initial change? I also don't understand why car was ok after initial filter change for 3-4 days and 150 miles-where was the air then?
cheers

Dont know mate does the green key light flash if so its possible.

All I know is this Lady had a fault where the car would always start up in the morning but when she parked up and then tried to start again it would just turn over. After four to five attempts it would start. I was convinced it was the a fueling problem and checked everything but to cut a long story short it was the transponder that was the problem. Its been good as gold since, I noticed the key case was cracked so I think the transponder may have had too much movement inside the case and was too far away from the key. Im seeing the car again over xmas so will be swapping the transponders over as I think it may not be faulty. If so it will be a much cheaper fix for the lady in question which this time of year is always a win.

Cheers Andy if i stall the car again ;) i will check the green light.

Also just my luck to have two fuel filters installed incorrectly from two garages-one being a Honda dealer! It is back in today for more work. Do I suggest to them that air is still residual from initial change? I also don't understand why car was ok after initial filter change for 3-4 days and 150 miles-where was the air then?
cheers

Michael it sounds like bad luck and bad installation to me.

I think you used a non genuine fuel filter first, which is a big No No on these engines, already covered many times in this forum but you HAVE to stick to Honda fuel filters.

It could be a kinked pipe somewhere. Fortunately on these engines, Honda have provided proper plastic clips for the pipe routing so I would advise you attempt to fix this yourself. Just take it all apart and check the pipework routing - the pipes are all very specific sizes so you shouldn't have to force the pipes around in awkward positions to make it fit etc. Ensure there are no splits or kinks and then re-install the filter and bleed it a couple of times for good measure.

Thanks
Honda have just been on and are trying a donor diesel pump from another vehicle and will see if it starts in the morning. I would ***ume that Honda should be good at changing these fuel filters but we will have to wait and see.
Thanks again
Michael

Sound advice from Fahad there ! Never ever ***ume

Is it a Pre facelift car or Facelift.

If it was the pump, wouldn't there be issues whilst driving?

Honda have rang and apparently car started first turn of the key with the donor pump on so they advise fitting a new pump. They are ringing Warranty Wise on my behalf this afternoon but no response as yet.
Thanks
Mike

At the end of the day, Honda sourced the part in the first place and decided to install dodgy German components in them!

Hope it sorts it mate :lol:

Denso are only deemed more reliable in your eyes because they only supply diesel injection components to Toyota, nobody else. Their global coverage is therefore much smaller. Bosch supply to ALL the germans, nearly all the Europeans and much of the Jap diesel market - so of course when you see diesel component issues/failure, it's going to be Bosch.

As for them being light years ahead... have you ever driven a 3 year old Avensis D4D and then compared it to a 6 year old Accord ICTDI? Then tell me which is light years ahead. The Toyota diesel's are very strong, but they've kept it simple and gone for the agricultural approach.

Honda's implementation was very different, they wanted to create the best diesel engine on the planet. And in my humble opinion, I think they did it at the time.

However as pointed out in other posts, when you create something so sophisticated, you do need to respect it and ensure it's looked after well. Not everyone with an ICTDI on here has problems by the way. Next year will mark my cars 3rd anniversary in my ownership and over that time it's had a clutch, manifold and a used ABS sensor. That ain't bad is it.

Well at least the facelift FF is Denso ;)

All of this reliability talk is a matter of perspective, does anyone remember when Lucas supplied components for British Leyland?

It's no wonder there's nothing left of the British car industry, I used to spend many a happy hour looking over corroded bullet connectors working out why the car had stopped this time!

I feel old...

CJ, you need to re-read my post, I am talking specifically about diesel technology.

Yes Denso supply Honda a load of other japanese manufacturers, but that is predominantly for petrol cars. Yes our diesel Accords also have some Denso components, but it's stuff like solenoid valves and fuel filters - the actual diesel core components such as pumps, injectors and even the ECU are all Bosch.

I'm not saying I'm a big fan of Bosch, just pointing out that nearly all the mainstream diesel technology that goes in European and a lot of Japanese cars is made by Bosch - so it's a given when you see problems, they will be Bosch related because they're providing nearly all the technology anyway.

Who needs Robot wars when you have Admin Wars. :lol: :lol:

Not at all mate, you know us better than that. We're just very passionate about our subject matter B)

Yes everything you say is probably true... but my original point remains the same and is valid - Bosch make most of the diesel technology that goes in to the majority of modern diesel cars out there today - and that's a big reason when you see part failures, chances are it will be Bosch!

OK dude you get the last word ;)

By the way, Cap is missing the 1st gen - he said it was dead emotional when it left :(