What's new

5F10 unknown fault code, limp mode, seeking for advice

Nameuser

Reaction score
Car
2.2 ctdi ex tourer07
Hi everyone, I am seeking for advice..

Recently I bought a 2007 2.2 i-cdi accord tourer ex. On the way home it went into limp mode after 20miles of light country road driving.

The symptoms:
After starting the engine the car runs normal, it pulls as it should for a few minutes. Then the check engine mil comes up along with the glow plug symbol and it doesn't rev above 2000rpm.
If the engine is restarted within a few minutes, then the issue is still present. However, after 15ish mins rest, the issue is gone and the car can be revved up again, pulls well for a few more minutes.
I thought it was the fuel filter when I spotted that it had a non factory one fitted. So I replaced it with a genuine one. Nothing changed, same issue.

Then I realized that there was some oil around the turbo/exhaust manifold/high pressure fuel pump. But I couldn't find the source of the leak yet.

The Delphi diagnostic software gives me the 5F10 - unknown fault code message on the engine.
Plus it says: fuel filter water level sensor--high ( since then I changed the filter however I didn't check if the level is still high).

The previous owner or the dealer managed to overfill the engine oil..5-10mm over the max sign on the dipstick. That still needs draining anyway.

The navigation unit self diagnostic says 1F4 fault is present but I guess that is not related to the engine.

Could the reason be sticking vanes or leaking egr, leaking turbo?

Could you guys please advise me on where to start?

Kind regards N.

Needs a thorough diagnostic and engine tests. Possibly fuel pressure, boost pressure or egr related yes.

You could try the dashboard diagnostic test, it should provide more codes that might give clues to the real issue.

You could try the dashboard diagnostic test, it should provide more codes that might give clues to the real issue.
Do you know by any chance where could I find a legend/key for the dashboard diagnostic? Google didn't get me anywhere.

Dashboard diagnostic won’t provide any greater insight. Does your Delphi allow you to run any functional tests?

Dashboard diagnostic won’t provide any greater insight. Does your Delphi allow you to run any functional tests?
Thank you F6had for getting back to me. Yup, my Delphi can run 61 real time data tests. And I am looking into getting a HIM for my freshly downloaded HDS.

With the Delphi I see the rail pressure, injector correction values, injected values, egr cycle and so on.
The one thing that seemed to be very obvious at first glance was the"Fuel filter water level: High" value. So I replaced the non OEM filter with a honda one and checked the water but I didn't see any in the drained diesel. After the swap (and a few test drives), the value was still high. So I drained it again but no water. So I disconnected the level sensor and put a jumper on the car side of the connector, which then came up in the Delphi as "fuel water level:low" but then on the dash the fuel water level High symbol came up. Did a test drive and it went into limp mode again. So I am guessing maybe the Delphi gets the fuel sensor values the other way around.

For me, the following values seemed a bit odd.
At idle speed 820rpm:
intake manifold runner control valve position @32°
intake manifold runner control valve duty @62%
Turbo boost control sensor position circuit @49%
Turbo boost control @other
EGR valve duty cycle @34.91%
The injected fuel values show discrepancy between 0.4mg to 1.2mg.

The rail pressure, well I don't know what would be ther right value but it varies between 30kpa and 100ish kpa if I am remembering correctly (this one whilst driving)

Also inside the intercooler pipe and at the swirl valve there is relatively lots of soot and oil.

You might have a faulty water sensor, worth replacing to eliminate that. You’re looking at live data there but does your system allow you to run any functional tests?

Probably not, but it may give readings that are different to the diagnostic kit which could give additional clues.

You might have a faulty water sensor, worth replacing to eliminate that. You’re looking at live data there but does your system allow you to run any functional tests?
For some reason the "tick - tick" functional test option is not available on this car whilst using Delphi. Interestingly it was available on our 2008 mitsubishi outlander with the same laptop/diag tool.

Let's say I managed to activate the functional test. What would you suggest to test then?

If not sooner then maybe with my HDS HIM I could test it (if I manage to figure out which one to buy).

HDS will allow you to run functional tests on your injectors, turbocharger actuator, IMRC, EGR and Fuel pressure (checks high pressure pump, pressure relief valve and injectors to check the system is maintaining pressure at 3 different targets). If it fails any of these tests then you’ll have a signpost to follow..

HDS will allow you to run functional tests on your injectors, turbocharger actuator, IMRC, EGR and Fuel pressure (checks high pressure pump, pressure relief valve and injectors to check the system is maintaining pressure at 3 different targets). If it fails any of these tests then you’ll have a signpost to follow..
Thank you F6HAD. I'll work on getting the right diag tool then.

Needs a thorough diagnostic and engine tests. Possibly fuel pressure, boost pressure or egr related yes.
In the mean time, I have tested the high pressure relief valve on the rail and did a leak back test on the injectors. (At idle rpm, for about 1.5mins).

The valve: followed the test procedure posted by Jon_G. Disconnected, the return pipe from the rail (relief valve) and put a see through fuel hose on it which then ended in a 0.5L water bottle. Plugged the metal stub pipe (which the return pipe was disconnected from). Run the engine for about 1.5mins. The 0.8m long see through hose (dia 6mm) slowly filled up. So it was about 20ml diesel in the pipe at the end.

Is that normal? Or should I replace the valve?

The injectors: from the driver's side the injector 1,3,4 pumped out the exact same volume in to the containers (5.1ml). The injector nr2, pumped out twice the amount what the others did (10.3ml).

Would this mean that I should change the injector nr2?

If you guys could advise me on this that would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

I think you’ve found your problem, change injector 2.

Generally yes but think about it logically, your own checks have shown that one injector is significantly over fuelling which will be causing excessive rail pressure. The relief valves job is to help relieve that rail pressure.

So, after a long time I managed to sit down and finally tell my story.. The car works like a charm now. The biggest take away is: be patient, think before you act, try all possibilities and take pictures of each step to the last nut.

My car could have been repaired in 15mins if I only waited for the honda diagnostic tool to arrive (ODBII365.com).

Long story short, the previous owner has replaced one injector but did not update injector number in the ECU.

The car kept going into limp mode after revving it up.. I had all sorts of fancy scanners but none of them read out the injector registry from the ECU. I couldn't wait the 5 days and took out the injector.. the nut, that holds the electric actuator on top of the injector was proper locktighted. After a few hours of jiggery-pokery, I still managed to brake the nut. Which then turned out: can not be replaced, so eventually I wrote off the injector. Ordered a second hand one, took it apart, cleaned it, two weeks later tried to ***emble it and then doubted myself, thinking that I lost a shim element. So I ordered an other injector. The package went lost and I was so fed up that I put the previous injector (with the shim believed missing) in the car. I bought new injector hold down screws as I was worried that the old one will snap. Put everything back together, did a leak off test on all injectors at the same time. The replaced one leaked back the exact same amount of diesel like the injector I broke (3times more than the other three: 5,15,5,5ml)..This is where I started to suspect there was some other issue. By this time I finally had the honda specific diagnostic tool. Hooked it up, then realized that the injector coding wasn’t done on the ECU.. gave myself a handshake for being so professional and entertaining myself for weeks. Coded the new injector into the ECU and there was no more discrepancy in the leak off volumes. So apparently there was no missing shim eighter. The car run smoothly. Next day the second injector arrived. And two days later the a third one that I received as compensation for the delivery ****up.

• Taking the injector clamp down bolt out did cost me 3 torx bit. I bought some good quality ones from ebay later. If you have to do this kind of job, make sure you have a long enough extension and a quality, strong spare torx bit that reaches down to the bolt. Awkward position. £7.5 5x Addax Timco X6 TX30 torx drive 50mm long ¼” drive
  • Injector clamp bolt from Cox Motor Parts £6
  • O-rings for the injector housing can be bought from POLYMAX.co.uk
    This is not the OEM dimension but a close match: 16.85mm ID x 1.78mm CS FKM (viton) 75 ShA, £10 for min order of 18pcs
  • Copper injector seat seal: set of 4 OEM, £5 from ebay
  • Duralac jointing compound for the galvanic insulation between dissimilar metals (bolt, head cylinder) £10

Glad you’ve got it sorted. I’ve never seen wrong injector coding cause this issue, although it is always recommended that you have them coded to ensure the ecu makes the appropriate corrections for each injectors tolerance.

I suspect your removal and refitting might have had something to do with the resolution.