What's new

5w 40 oil

Ian, I've seen a few blown Accord turbo's now - never seen one destroy anything more than itself and maybe chuck some oil into the intercooler. Anything's possible of course, and if you're willing to spend - then change the turbo. But what the chap is saying, sounds just like a bit of wear and tear as he says the noise disappears when warm.

Well, it's had the castrol 0/30 treatment and I swear it's running quieter today - I couldn't hear the usual turbo whistle this morning or evening when it was cold :)

Top man - your engine will thank you for it. I amsure mine runs sweeter when its had an oil change - and I do mine every 6K or so like the others.

Hi there, just thought I'd add my 10 pence worth.
Having rang round my local Honda dealers for a 5th year service (prices varied from £95 - £374) I eventually settled on the cheapest as at that price I thought the oil and filter plus Honda stamp was worth it. When I dropped the car off for the service I checked that they would be filling the car with the oil Honda recommend and was re-***ured that it would be. To my surprise when collecting the car the invoice stated that 5w 40 oil had been put in, I questioned this and was again re-***ured that 0w 30 had been used and it was just there invoicing system. Driving home I thought the engine sounded slightly quieter and the fuel consumption wasn't very good, check the oil and they had over filled it by about a litre. The long and the short of it is that having spoken to the garage they did in fact put 5w 40 in plus over filled it. Obviously I wasn't happy with this and once I set the wife on them they drained the excess and changed the oil the following week as they needed to order 0w 30 in. They gave me the old flannel of 5w 40 being okay to use and that I should wait an hour before checking my oil to which I put the right on. They did however take me out to the workshop and showed me the replacement oil that had been put and checked the dipstick in front of me.

The moral of the story is even dealers don't appear to no what's best for your car.

Please excuse this first post as being a bit long winded.

A sorry tale - and one that has been told here more times than I care to remember.

Glad you stuck to your guns. Having the wrong oil is bad enough - but overfilling the oil is just fricking stupid.

Certainly deserving of a name-n-shame.

Now pop yourself over the Newbie section and say Harro ;).

Nothing surprises me when it comes to Honda dealers.

It was Hidsons Honda in Rainham Kent (not strictly a Honda dealer any more but are an authorised service agent).

not for much longer hopefully..

I only used them as they were the cheapest @ £95. Can't believe that for the same service which is only an oil change really that one dealer had the cheek to charge £374. A lot of money for the Honda stamp in your service book.

You paid peanuts and couldn't even muster a monkey.

Things are often priced for a reason bud. You have to pay for knowledge, skill and training as well as operating costs.

Yeah couldn't agree more having worked in the industry previously, but there's paying good money and there's paying way over the odds.

Problem is - the level of those "odds" is all relative. In a couple of weeks we start a job where we were nearly 30% more than the nearest competitor - to the tune of £800 or thereabouts. I didn't budge on my price but won the contract 'cos I could demonstrate WHY I was that much more.

I hope nothing goes wrong :lol: I wasn't too keen on the job, but things were quiet at the time :D.

Guess it is the same with garages. I don't mind paying a little extra where I can see the care and commitment from the company doing the work - as well as to support the little guy.

Problem is - the level of those "odds" is all relative. In a couple of weeks we start a job where we were nearly 30% more than the nearest competitor - to the tune of £800 or thereabouts. I didn't budge on my price but won the contract 'cos I could demonstrate WHY I was that much more.

I hope nothing goes wrong :lol: I wasn't too keen on the job, but things were quiet at the time :D.

Guess it is the same with garages. I don't mind paying a little extra where I can see the care and commitment from the company doing the work - as well as to support the little guy.

Yeah that's right if its a justifiable extra charge but, I think a nearly 400% (no maths expert by the way) difference in price is impossible to justify.

would be interested to see what was included with the various prices?

The servicing was exactly the same at all the dealers i.e. oil and filter plus sump plug washer and then numerous checks around the car, like suspension, tyres and fluid levels. So you can see why I elected to go with the cheaper option. What confused me is that the car has done 38000 miles and I think more is done on the 38k service but as the car is 5 years old all the dealers would only quote for a fifth year / 62k service. I'll probably do the other bits myself.

Hi,

I've just been to the Honda dealer in Malta and asked for oil for my 2005 I-CDTi. They produced 6x1l Honda Branded 5w40 oil. I pointed out that the manual recommends 0w30 oil but they ***ured me that this requirement varies according to climate and that for our climate in Malta (+15 to +>40) the 5w40 is the right oil for this engine.

I've changed oil and filter yesterday after 5k miles. Do you think that this was the wrong choice? I know that thus issue has been discussed a few times but I'm unsure about the climate variable.

Another thing is that with the windows open and when driving along sound reflective road sides, the turbo whistle is quite audible, it's not a whine though but a high frequency hiss. I thought this was normal but I'm getting a little worried!

Another bit of info is that the car has had Fahad's stage 1 remap recently - it drives better than ever!

Thanks for your patience and all the great info.

Emile
Malta

Hi,

I've just been to the Honda dealer in Malta and asked for oil for my 2005 I-CDTi. They produced 6x1l Honda Branded 5w40 oil. I pointed out that the manual recommends 0w30 oil but they ***ured me that this requirement varies according to climate and that for our climate in Malta (+15 to +>40) the 5w40 is the right oil for this engine.

I've changed oil and filter yesterday after 5k miles. Do you think that this was the wrong choice? I know that thus issue has been discussed a few times but I'm unsure about the climate variable.

Another thing is that with the windows open and when driving along sound reflective road sides, the turbo whistle is quite audible, it's not a whine though but a high frequency hiss. I thought this was normal but I'm getting a little worried!

Another bit of info is that the car has had Fahad's stage 1 remap recently - it drives better than ever!

Thanks for your patience and all the great info.

Emile
Malta
Hi Emile...Malta too here...Just got my Accord a couple of month ago...What is a Fahad's stage 1 remap if i may ask??

It's the diesel engine elixir of fun... click the link in my signature or have a search for remap ;)

Hi Michael,

I hope you're as happy with your Accord as I am with mine. As Dan said the stage 1 remap is a new set of variables for the engine management system aimed at developing a better power output. The Accord is already fast but with this remap it is incredible!

If you want to have a look, let me know, I live in Ta' Xbiex.

Hi Michael,

I hope you're as happy with your Accord as I am with mine. As Dan said the stage 1 remap is a new set of variables for the engine management system aimed at developing a better power output. The Accord is already fast but with this remap it is incredible!

Thanks Emile..Will definatly come and have a look one day if you don't mind.

Did you do the remap in Malta? how much did it cost?

Thanks

MM

5w40 is probably ok for your climate Emile - Honda are correct in that the oil viscosity varies for different climatic conditions..

As for the louder audible whistle, that's probably down to it being tuned. As long as it's a whistle and not a whine, you should be smiling :)

Hi Michael,

Hi Emile...Is it possible to give me a call some day on xxxxxx?

Thanks

Michael Mock

Michael, I've edited your post to remove your phone number. You're not breaking any rules but for your own protection I think it's best to just send Emile a PM with your number.

Michael, I've edited your post to remove your phone number. You're not breaking any rules but for your own protection I think it's best to just send Emile a PM with your number.
ok thanks...didnt know that!