7th Gen 2.4 Clutch Replacement Options

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Hey guys,

I think 2017 is going to be the year of the failed clutch for me. The release bearing is very persistently noisy in 1st and sometimes second and I think I detected my first bit of slip today... The clutch has done 80K, so it's not unreasonable.

So my question is should I got the OEM route or put something a little more rugged in there. I spend a fair amount of time crawling in traffic, which I guess an OEM clutch would favour for smoothness, however I do enjoy the occasional blast (don't wan to rule out future track days) and have had some modest modifications that will see a very small increase in output over stock.

Does anyone have any recommendations and/or advice?

Cheers

Having had performance clutches in the past Steve, if you do spend time in stop start traffic then be prepared for a oversized calf muscle on your left leg! Jokes aside I would stick with oem mate, the old ones given you 80k which is about right on the 2.4 so I'm told. If you were considering doing any more to your engine then you may want to consider it but otherwise I would stick with the oem.

Or possibly this ?

http://hondaperformanceparts.co.uk/catalog/24501

Cheers dude. I'm thinking/leaning towards OEM, but was curious in case someone knows of some magic wonder clutch that's strong like a racer, but feels like OEM...

Cheers guys, I'll look into it.

+1 exedy Clutch

sent using tapatalk

Exedy clutch is Durable and will last long

sent using tapatalk

It's hard to talk about the lifespan of the clutch. Different people will consider normal use in different ways, so different lifespan.
I think that any clutch OEM or replacment one withouth abuse will last 200k km or more.
A friend have a Exedy stage 1 on his Honda CRX with D16A9 engine ( 130 hp ) and it's not even close about the feeling compared to the OEM one.
He is also getting judder/drawbacks when starting gently.
OEM is the best compromise about everything...Or OEM replacment

I would go and did change mine to Aisin set, it's also OEM as Exedy, plate and disc comes with Honda marks on them.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

Think parts and labour at Honda were 600 quid under the happiness thing if your looking to get the lot through them.
Not too bad considering it's an awful job on the accord

Aisin kit cost me 170 Eur and labour was 120, it's far from 600. Job is not that hard, good mechanic or two can do it in no time, 4-6 hours, they even did not remove subframe. Also get seals replaced, main engine and for gearbox. That will leave you happy for long time.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

As above 600 was the price at Honda iirc, personally would not have a clutch swapped at main dealer without good reason. I would say in the U.K. 600 pounds isn't that bad if like you say 4-6 hours labour when you consider the average cost of labour per hour over here.

Steve if you want to stick to OEM then I'm pretty sure the type r civic clutch is a strate bolt on.
Also you can go down the rout of a light weight flywheel as well.
All depends on how much you want to spend.

Cheers Brett. That's interesting to know about the Civic Type R. Although I imagine that's a bit more pricey. I've looked at lightweight flywheels too, but right now, I think that would be overkill for what I'm doing. There are several (cheaper) areas I can save weight, if I could be bothered :lol: .