What's new

7th Gen value...

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
ive been contemplating selling my 2004 Accord ctdi for a while now and have been thinking of swapping it for a Civic ctdi. after looking around on autotrader, ebay and other sites the price varies vastly for the same car. now i know a used car is only worth what someone will pay as is everything we buy but surely £3400 for an 04 with 141K on the clock is very excessive..... and i ***ume that £1500 which is the low end of the cars ive seen is going to be for a complete nail....

these prices give me no accurate idea of what our cars are now worth. i think if i was to get between £2-2.5k then i would be happy really but am i thinking too high here?

if anyone has recently bought a 7th gen ctdi then maybe you can share what spec, mileage, condition along with the price you paid. i understand that traders will up the prices a bit giving a private seller/trader price gap but what would you be happy paying for an Accord these days?

Hi bud.

Mines a 54 plate ctdi sport, arctic blue, 1 previous owner, 75k, fsh, in immaculate condition. I swapped it for my previous vehicle which was worth about £3k so i think i got a good deal what with mileage etc

The one thing ive noticed when looking for cars is that it depends on the region theyre being sold in. In the south they seem to ***ume we're all rich and price them up accordingly, then the further north you go the opposite happens.

Same with everything. Arcade machines cost almost double in some cases in the south compared to the North. I've seen it too when googling car stuff. You can get great things done up north in terms of body shops and customisation. Down south it's double what it would cost up north. Very frustrating sometimes.

so if/when i sell my car can a member who lives down south sell it for me then so i get max return.......? :p

Everything is more expensive in the south, not just beer and houses.

My 07 plate 2.2 EX, with FHSH and 59k on the clock when I bought it, cost me just over £5,900 when I bought it about 6 months ago, which was about the norm. Cars the same age/spec but mega mileage were going for about £4k. I've recently seen an 07 plate petrol EX with 27k advertised for over 8 grand, which I think is very optomistic.

Stevearcade said:
Same with everything. Arcade machines cost almost double in some cases in the south compared to the North. I've seen it too when googling car stuff. You can get great things done up north in terms of body shops and customisation. Down south it's double what it would cost up north. Very frustrating sometimes.
As a Smoggie (From Middlesbrough) I would completely agree... I would book my car in up north and save the money... you're still likely to be financially better off even after you factor in fuel... although if you come to the North East you'll reck your lungs due to the high quality air we breathe up there!

I bought my last Accord Tourer Ex with Nav on a 54 plate with 125k on it for 2k about 2 years ago. That was cheap because the clutch was slipping though that fixed itself after a while. It was written off last June and the insurance valued it at £2450.

I have just bought another one, 06 plate facelift tourer again and Ex again with Nav and HFT. 129k on it, full history and a recent new clutch and flywheel. It's a much better car overall than my last one and I got it for £3100 which I think was a bit of a bargain :)

ive had a couple of PX offers of £1200-1500 which i feel is not enough for my car. if this is all i can get for it then i may as well run it till it dies....

its a 2004 Accord EX ctdi, FHSH, 145K, indigo/blue metallic, 12 mnths MOT, 5 mnths Tax, new Honda alloys 18 months ago, new Bridgestone Potenza tyres last month, leather, nav (usual doesnt read disc...). everything works as it should except the nav unit. overall its in great condition just a slight scuff on the rear bumper which was there when i bought it and a few stone chips. its had lots done to it since ive had it over the last 4+ years including new alternator, new injector seals, new rear discs/pads and calipers, ss brake lines, HID lights, a/c sensor changed, timing chain cover resealed due to tiny oil leak, new rocker cover gasket. ive got all the receipts etc and 99% has been done at Honda. before i had it there are receipts for the timing chain and exhaust manifolds that have been replaced on warranty. so pretty much all the usual things that need doing have been as well as a great history and maintenance record. to let this go for £1200 would be a crime surely????? i know that dealers arent interested in what its had done as they will price it using a book and not its history etc... if i drove a battered Accord in for PX i would probably get the same price!!!! makes you wonder if its all worth it really.

i think im going to hang on to it for now but from what ive been looking about at on the net i may manage £2000-2250 privately...

I bought mine a month ago, 2004 ctdi sport, black, 2 owners, only 85k on the clock, paid £2400 but am since having to change manifold, service and brakes all round which will prob push the overall cost of car and maintenance to £3000 all in within a month. Hoping after this spend I won't have to spend much more on it. This was bought from Newcastle and I'd based in Teesside

nahh mate, £3000 is for car purchase (£2400) and all servicing, manifold and brakes replacement (prob about £600) all in, I'd have freaked out if I was being charged £3000 for a service and manifold haha

Mine is on 155k miles and in fairly average condition I guess... interior great, bodywork pretty good, engine a little rattlely/manifold cracked, wheels awful. No service history, but a pile of receipts to show what I've done.

I wouldn't expect to get much at all on PX for mine. And maybe around £1000 if I sold it privately? So far as I can see, Honda Accords don't hold their value particularly well, which is exactly how I came to buy mine really cheaply nearly 6 years ago. It's all swings and roundabouts!

Sorry, but I don't think having a whole bunch of work done during your ownership really adds any value. Buyers (particularly trade) will ***ess the vehicle on its condition 'as presented' on the day... I'd expect a car sold as being in good condition to have everything working properly, and if you've been unlucky enough to have had to replace expensive items then that's tough!

Mutley_m said:
Hi bud.

Mines a 54 plate ctdi sport, arctic blue, 1 previous owner, 75k, fsh, in immaculate condition. I swapped it for my previous vehicle which was worth about £3k so i think i got a good deal what with mileage etc
Pretty good dead there man.

Mine is a 54 plate cdti exec, 83k fsh and cost me £3990 in July 2013

Jon_G said:
I'd expect a car sold as being in good condition to have everything working properly, and if you've been unlucky enough to have had to replace expensive items then that's tough!
Bit harsh there considering I'm no mechanic and as the car was described as in good condition when I bought it you generally have to take the sellers word for it and having purchased it, thats when I realised it required the manifold as I couldn't smell anything on the test (not that I was looking out for it),

I think even with the cost of the work I've just had done, it still works out good value considering the prices of similar cars for sale on autotrader with FSH and less than 90k on the clock which all may still require similar work, it only seems the price tumbles when you've got relatively high mileage and no documented history as a buyer will always pay a small premium to see a car with good history and low owners

Hi Dave, my comments weren't aimed at you... It was really a agreement with Matt's disappointment that his car wasn't worth more because he's spent a lot on it during his ownership, but the trade don't care and I understand why not. It might have been clearer if I was able to reply and include a quote.

Never take the seller's word for anything and - if you're not a mechanic - then take someone knowledgeable with you... whether dealer or private.

Jon_G said:
Mine is on 155k miles and in fairly average condition I guess... interior great, bodywork pretty good, engine a little rattlely/manifold cracked, wheels awful. No service history, but a pile of receipts to show what I've done.

I wouldn't expect to get much at all on PX for mine. And maybe around £1000 if I sold it privately? So far as I can see, Honda Accords don't hold their value particularly well, which is exactly how I came to buy mine really cheaply nearly 6 years ago. It's all swings and roundabouts!

Sorry, but I don't think having a whole bunch of work done during your ownership really adds any value. Buyers (particularly trade) will ***ess the vehicle on its condition 'as presented' on the day... I'd expect a car sold as being in good condition to have everything working properly, and if you've been unlucky enough to have had to replace expensive items then that's tough!
i agree that the work done doesnt add value to a car as its just maintenance but it does show that the car has had all the usual issues resolved and by a reputable place. if people do a bit of research then they will be aware of the common issues that come with their new choice of car and to see that they have been done with paperwork to prove it can only be a good thing. when buying a car i always search through the history and if it has none then im a bit put off tbh. some people including myself keep every receipt for parts and work done on their car including myself and others dont bother for some reason. i part exchanged a car many years ago and someone i knew bought it from the trader, all the paperwork and extensive history somehow had been lost after i handed it over with the car and the new owner got nothing and almost didnt buy it due to this. i reassured him that it was a great car and he had nothing to worry about and could list everything that had been done which put his mind at rest a bit.... i just think that keeping a file with your service book can help sell a car and does make it more appealing and almost shows how much the car has been looked after. on the flip side too much paperwork could show that the car is a bad herring and maybe the reason its up for sale but if its mainly service items and records then its good to have. i know this stands up better on a private sale but the trader has the chance to big up the car with an extensive history file and book that is as old as the car surely?? the amount of cars ive been to look at that apparently have FSH and when the book is checked its not been serviced for 2 years or its missed 2 services but has been recently serviced... this isnt FSH, this is part SH and to me shows how the previous owners didnt really care or give a dam about it if they didnt want to spend a couple of hundred quid a year looking after it....

Accords over the last few years have really lost a lot of value but i think i would rather keep mine than PX it for £1200. i would rather buy a car with 10K more on the clock that comes with great history than one that has nothing. second hand cars are a gamble and no history record can save an internal engine issue that could empty your bank very fast but it does show that the car has been regularly serviced and cared for the best it could have which is all you can ask for in a used car apart from being tidy and in good condition tbh.

Jon_G said:
Hi Dave, my comments weren't aimed at you... It was really a agreement with Matt's disappointment that his car wasn't worth more because he's spent a lot on it during his ownership, but the trade don't care and I understand why not. It might have been clearer if I was able to reply and include a quote.

Never take the seller's word for anything and - if you're not a mechanic - then take someone knowledgeable with you... whether dealer or private.
this is also very true and a good idea

I paid £2,600 for my 2.4 Tourer from a trader with FHSH so there are some good deals down South!

A car is only worth what someone is going to pay for it, start high and see what happens.

leighmcgough said:
I paid £2400 for my 2004 2.4Vtec Tourer Exec - with full history, 3 previous keepers... from Watford!
When did you get it? I work in Watford but didn't see many for sale around here when I was looking. Having said that I'd imagine you have a manual and I was after an auto. I bought mine up the road in Apsley/Hemel.

I get itchy feet every few years with cars and tend to change them. I'm trying to sell a 2005 diesel Exec with FHSH, every option and 84k on it. I've it advertised at £4050 and not a single phone call!

Are the comparable cars in your area for sale? If so how much are they? Personally, I'd think £4K was a little steep for a 2005 Accord with 84K on the clock, irrespective of petrol/diesel.

I've seen 2.4 Execs with 80-100K go for as little as £2K :eek:

I've been looking at prices and see 2006/07 diesel sports with 80-100k on them go for £3800/£4000. So an executive is bound to be worth£4000 or more with everything in in, touch screen sat nav etc, FHSH

I'm guessing that car prices are much, much higher in N.I.?

Bearing in mind that they're getting on a bit, I'm pretty sure I could buy a decent PFL 7th gen for £1500 max... in fairness, that wouldn't be from a dealer and I don't pay too much attention to service history.

They are slightly higher as mentioned regarding the price of the sport models for sale. Looks like I might be keeping it in the driveway as I ordered a new Volvo estate a few weeks ago and its due next week

well you really need some service with an accord, i got a wad of paper work and receipts for my car. It shows its been looked after.

exec models are more desirable for sure, put it down for 3,500 if you got that it would be good. I dont think there are many Accords up North, Its turning out like (southern) Ireland there i would say and people getting smaller vehicles.

Also put it thru a MOT and tax it, put up photos of a current/extended tax cert and the MOTs...

will make a difference i am sure.

Cheers. It has 11 months MOT, full service history etc. Although it looks like my wife is going to inherit it when my Volvo arrives, I dont' need to sell it and would rather keep it than give it away lol.
True there are few Accord's in the North (although I was in a convoy of 7 this morning, must have been every Accord in a 150 mile radius). In Ireland they like their Toyota's and Lexus', country is full of brand new ones.