What's new

8th gen accord or frv (decisions, decisions)

johnmaud

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord tourer
Hello folks,

Just after a bit of advice. I'm thinking of part exing my 05 accord tourer 2.2icdti exec 107,000 next year and am toying on the idea of a FRV diesal. I need a family motor and something that can hold my fishing gear and all the kit when we go caravanning. The FRV's kerbweight is sufficient for our van and I like the idea of the 3 front seats and how the others all fold. My accord has been great other than the vsa modulator problem and when it went into the dealers for this repair I viewed a few 8th gen models and loved everything about them. Would have to go with a tourer though as it looks as though the seats dont fold down and it only has the ski type access at the centre of the rear seats. I was also reading on the site about dpf problems on diesal models. I dont really cover that many miles a year, probably less than average so would the better choice be petrol or would this reduce kerbweight and towing performance (anyone towed with a petrol accord?).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and any info on what to look out for on both models will help a great deal.

Thanks,

John.

John I have the 8th gen 2.4 and tow a caravan.
The max I can tow is about 1385 kg with 85% of the kerb weight.
As my van is within this the car tows no probs.

8th gen diesel engine is more robust and reliable than the 7th gen, EGR pipe is a known issue although there is an extended warranty and it's only a £400-odd fix. DPF is the main consideration as you say although sometimes these problems are caused by people using wrong oil - it has to be low SAPS or ash bungs up the filter. That said I would personally go for petrol every time but then again I never tow.

8th gen diesel engine is more robust and reliable than the 7th gen, EGR pipe is a known issue although there is an extended warranty and it's only a £400-odd fix. DPF is the main consideration as you say although sometimes these problems are caused by people using wrong oil - it has to be low SAPS or ash bungs up the filter. That said I would personally go for petrol every time but then again I never tow.
Cheers for the info lads. Out of a matter of interest do the rear seats fold on the 8th gen saloon or is it just the ski access type opening in the centre of the rear seat. Starting to take a liking to the gt spec on either a 08 or 09

They fold 60/40 and there's a surprisingly large amount of space, managed to get a lot of flat pack furniture in the car including a chest of drawers and a wardrobe at the same time. There's no ski access thing I don't think however.

As for fuels, it's obviously dependant on what kind of mileage you're doing if you're after savings, if not, I'd say go for the diesel as it's a very relaxed type of car and a great cruiser, we tried a 2.0 EX and it was noticeably slower, especially in auto guise.

Oh and if you're buying from a Honda dealer, Don't fall into the Autoshine or Supagard protection thing, it's basically just the dealer applying wax to your car and then charging £500 for it!
What Gt spec was it. EX GT or ES GT?

Oh and if you're buying from a Honda dealer, Don't fall into the Autoshine or Supagard protection thing, it's basically just the dealer applying wax to your car and then charging £500 for it!
What Gt spec was it. EX GT or ES GT?
Thanks for that Yadash. Now that I know that the seats fold I am defo not limited to looking for a tourer. Priority is getting my fishing gear in he, he. Just had a look at a ES GT 2.2 I-DTEC on the trader and quite like them. Which is better the EX GT or ES GT ?

Not a problem John

Here's what I know

ES- The entry level spec, 16" alloys I believe, standard suspension and cloth upholstry, climate control (Sat nav optional)

ES GT- Basically an ES with bigger wheels, sports suspension, lip kit, half leather upholstery (Sat nav optional)

EX- Top spec, Full leather, Sports suspension, Ambient Lighting (including footwell lighting), Sat nav standard, Heated Seats, Auto dimming mirror,

EX GT- Ex with a lip kit and red ambient lighting

All the GT's and Type S get Red backlighting on the instrument panel instead of the standard white

Not a problem John

Here's what I know

ES- The entry level spec, 16" alloys I believe, standard suspension and cloth upholstry, climate control (Sat nav optional)

ES GT- Basically an ES with bigger wheels, sports suspension, lip kit, half leather upholstery (Sat nav optional)

EX- Top spec, Full leather, Sports suspension, Ambient Lighting (including footwell lighting), Sat nav standard

EX GT- Ex with a lip kit and red ambient lighting

All the GT's and Type S get Red backlighting on the instrument panel instead of the standard white
thanks again yadash. cracking breakdown of the trims. looks like i will be hanging on for one of the ex models.

Was your concern about the saloon fitting in fishing rods?
If so, how long is a fishing rod?

Thought a lot of fishing rods are sectional and break down, or am I completely wrong?

Update to Yadash notes, ES GT had red dash lights and red ambient footwell lights.

ES GT models are noticeably cheaper than EX models.

Also have a look at the new model data on Honda.co.uk for the towing weights, 2.0 petrol is fairly low IIRC.

FRV is a fairly basic car compared to an 8th gen Accord, its a generation behind, in safety features and driving dynamics. It is bigger, but its an acquired taste in the looks dept...

EX GT has these a ES GT doesnt:

Heated front seats. (GT is Half Leather)
Electric seats with 2 memory positions
Xenon lights.
Front rear parking sensors
Auto head light washers
Sat nav/ cam as standard.
The arm rest has vents in to allow air con to the rear passengers plus cd storage becomes a fridge too.

The EX GT is the best choose if you want looks and luxury as standard. You can get an EX and then add the official Honda sports pack though which does have the extra cost of getting it fitted and extra insurance. The EX GT costs more than a EX too according to the honda brochure I have. The ADAS versions cost even more. They can be found on either car but is quite rare on the EX GT as it made it the really expensive. Ill go find the brouchure out

I know it probably doesn't help much as it's not a diesel, but we have 2.0 FRV in the household and it's a seriously cool car. Very very practical, nice and smooth to drive and the kids just love it.

Shockingly poor on fuel (my 2.0 Turbo SAAB 210bhp Auto is more economical).. but otherwise a pretty much perfect car in every way.

I do agree though, you can't compare to an 8th gen Accord, that is another generation ahead in terms of design and fit/finish.

thanks for all the information guys. Think its gunna have to be an 8th gen.

Cheers,

John.
Now the hard part John you need to find one :)