What's new

8th gen as reliable as 6th?

monkey

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2002 SE Exec
Hi all,

I currently have a 2002 SE Exec on 147000 miles - reliability has been amazing - and I am considering replacing with a 2.2 DTec, probably 2 years old.

Can I expect it to be as reliable and bomb proof as the 02 model?

I noted the potential for corrosion problems in the area surrounding the sunroof - is there anything else to be aware of?

TIA

Hi there, one word NO I wouldn't expect 8th Gen to be as good 6th Gen at all, but nevertheless it will be a much younger car and the 8th Gen does have its niggles but Keeping your 6th Gen for longer you will likely face more reoccurring repairs on your current car than an 8th Gen in the first four years in all honesty. However' keeping the 6th gen still would be allot cheaper to keep, if your factoring in buying the 8th gen to start with and then factor in the known issues e.g rear brakes :unsure: but easily resolved if tackled correctly, also the screen washer pump (fixed for free), loose windscreen side strips whistling (fixed for free)

B)

I agree with Hugh,
theres no other Accord made yet that will out live or be more reliable than the good old 6th gen.
Hence why i brought a 13 year old 6th gen instead of a 3month old Accord.
My budget was high but i thought it would be a waste of money buying a newer 3month old motor if u factor in depreciation and less reliability ;)

I'd stick to petrol for reliability. iDtec is good, but still too many diesel expensive problems out of warranty.

2.0 petrol is a good compromise, reasonable powerful, cam chain, cheaper to buy, which compensates for slightly less MPG. Easy to service yourself.

6th gen was a good car, but cars move on, you get better safety (Euro ncap 5 star), security, handling, and technology than the 6th gen, thats what you pay for.

The 8th gen is still considered one of the most reliable cars on the market. Guess even if its not quite as reliable as the 6th gen it sure the hell beats buying anything else in its class! Making a move from a 6th gen to diesel powered BMW or Audi would be like comparing the reliability of an anvil to an Austin Allegro that has been ragged off road for most of its life.

And I guess its what you consider reliability to be.

How many times it will break down? How many niggling problems that it develops? How many times do you have to replace service items?

toffee_pie said:
8th gen diesels are not as economical as people think, so agree that a 2.0 petrol is just as good a buy.
Surprise, surprise.

I do agree that the 2.0 petrol is a good buy.

The more I read, the less I think there is between the 2.0 and 2.4 in terms of actual, at the wheel performance. It's more just a different driving character I reckon. I'd love to have a go at thrashing a 2.0 and see how it feels compared to my 2.4.

Would be nice to drive them back to back. Reckon the 2.4 has a lot more top end grunt.

2.4 K series engine is DOHC also, whereas the 2.0 R series engine is SOHC.

Could try a 1.8 R series in a Civic, would be very similar.

for normal driving, little difference between a 2.4 and 2.0, its the same as alonsos and damon hills booting up your arse around town in polos and vauxhalls. But on wide open roads when you open it up the 2.4 will go quite a good bit faster.

I would say it could get up to 145mph if it was looked after and had an induction kit.

that's pretty fast by all accounts.

Our 2008 Accord is now over 5 years old and has no had a single issue apart from when the Mrs let the battery drain and trashed the battery.

Would I buy an Accord 2.2 iDtec? No. They aren't that economical and are pretty slow (particularly as autos). My Mercedes E350 gives better MPG that people report here and is "considerably" faster :) Also the Mercs don't have DPF issues.

Our 2.4 isn't the most economical but it's been ultra reliable.

I would gander in the long term the 8th gen won't be as reliable as the 6th gen because of the amount of electronics and other tech stuffed into these modern cars these days. The 6th gen is a really beautifully made car, surprising this was made in Britain, I spent a fair amount of time in a 63 plate Golf last weekend, and not being biased or anything but the 6g feels much more solid in build quality and the materials, honestly spending time in the Golf made me realise how overrated they are, the materials used are not even good, they are hard plastics around the dash, compared to the soft touch, foamy like material used on the Accord, and some of the storage holes like the arm rest door was so flimsy, and the fake silver panels felt fisher price.

Exec, I noticed the same thing between the 8th gen and the 6th gen. Weirdly the 6th gen has more soft touch materials around the cabin, the glovebox on the 6th gen has the fake leather/soft touch material covering it, where the 8th had a horribly tacky plastic door that honestly sounded like a dustbin. Also on the doorcards, the 6th gen used soft touch all over apart from the storage bins whereas the 8th gen have the same tacky plastic in front of the arm rest. Finally the 6th gen have a beautiful chrome finished door handle where as the 8th gen has a matte plastic, cheap feeling thing.

I miss my 6th gen :(

The dash is wrapped in some nice strong foam filled material, so well put together, the 6g's are massively under rated cars, all built in Swindon too, so not bad for a British build!

Find this amazing I've got a i-ctdi with over 250k on it bought it with 46k and a i-dtec with 125k the i-dtec is a far better car than the i-ctdi i did have a problem with DPF regards re-gens contacted Honda who replaced free of charge the car was out of warranty also bought from independent garage, never missed a beat also the latest update for the dpf as just about sorted all problems. What I have picked up on this forum over the years for some reason the petrol heads dislike diesels, you may also find more faults with the diesel on the forum again this comes down to numbers and the ratio for diesel to petrol on united kingdom roads is 6\1.

Totally agree with above ^^
Anyone would think that the diesels are the most fragile worst engines in the world ??
Yes appreciate there are some who have problems with The DPF but the vast majority soldier on without any issues at all ..
I have owned 4 DPF fitted cars ( 2 accords ) and yes even an audi ?? Lol and not had a single issue with any of them , if i have an issue then sure ill be glad to pay Fahad a visit to have it removed ,
As for reliability between the 2 a point to factor in maybe 1st ownership of the 2 gens ... 6th gen i reckon may have been bought by a lot more private owners new and looked after accordingly .. A lot of 8th gens were fleet cars and might not have been treated as well ?
I think the accord has evolved into a nicely screwed together machine over the years , yes agree with some earlier points too about plastic door handles and stuff making it feel less premuim feel , but what car is perfect ?

I've had 2 6th gen cars, a 7th gen and now an 8th gen, all petrol.

One of my 6th gens (25K, 4 years old) was leaking oil out of the end of the engine where the flywheel is, and had clutch judder. The other 6th gen had an ABS fault before it was 4 years old, which cost about £300 for a new sensor.

My 7th gen 2 litre pertol i sold last year had 97K on the clock and was 9 years old. The car never experienced a single failure (other than the normal wear and tear issues with brakes and tyres). The clutch pedal creaked until i lubricated it with red rubber grease.

My 8th gen is 4 years old and touch wood has been truely faultless.

So i didn't have such a great time with the 6th gen cars. Had a Rover 600 that was better than either of them (sister car to 5th gen)

Just been to view a 7th Gen with the intention of buying...BUT it only took 2 minutes to realise that is it's a cheaper feeling car than the 6th Gen that I already own. Massively disappointed.

I'm sure it's a lovely car, but my 6th gen has 160,000 miles on it and the suspension is worn to hell, yet the interior is one of the most solid I've ever come across in any car.

The 6th gen doesn't have the poshness of an audi, but it has the same, if not better build quality.

Must admit I find the interior of the 8th gen purely functional as opposed to the 6th gen which appears to have had more thought put behind it. Maybe people these days simply don't like the traditional 'luxury' look and like the dark, shiny plastic feel instead.

I think the 8th gen, especially with the GT bits is a cracking looking car though. Looks like its been styled with blokes in mind.

Well I'm a bloke and have had Gen 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and now 8. The 8th gen I've only had for six days but love it to bits. Haven't got the manual but have pretty much figured out all the switchgear and gubbins. I do like your USA built Coupe though, very cool