What's new

accord 6th.Gen hatchback rear quarter panel anyone?

ianking

Members
Reaction score
Car
4 Accords
Last wednesday my 2001 type-v HB was hit up the rear by a young driver. My car was stationary waiting to turn left at a roundabout. Indicator on, back lit up with brake lights (it's an automatic). Nobody in the rear view window, then moments later BANG another car hit the offside rear quarter and continued on, narrowly missing another car on the roundabout. The other party was going so fast he nearly didn't get across the roundabout. Anyway that is all another story. It is a "non-fault" on my part incident.

HOWEVER, my insurance company are trying to write the car off because it is 14 years old. They won't send anyone out to look at it. They say it is beyond economic repair. Not quite sure why because I intend to keep it for a very long time and have no intention of selling it especially as I've spent a bit of money on it. It looks as though I'm going to have to get it repaired myself (which I'm pretty annoyed about especially as it's not my fault).

I have had it independently inspected. It isn't that bad. It hasn't bent the chassis or anything like that. It needs a new rear offside light cluster (ebay) and a replacement rear bumper (also ebay). The expensive repair is it needs a new rear quarter panel. Honda are quoting £380+VAT.

Does anyone know of a cheaper source? There is one on ebay but it is for the 4-door version. What is ironic is I very nearly took my other car that day. It is the 4-door twin of the 5-door!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards...
Ian

Get a pic up dude and we can ***ess for you. Yes it would be a shame to loose her if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Admire your devotion to it

If it definetely needs a replacement wing, then any path you go down will be expensive as a decent repair involves a lot of work, cutting out the old wing, welding in New one including spot welds etc, then seam sealing and whatnot.

You could go down the cheaper route by getting your wing jigged and filled with filler.

TypeR said:
Get a pic up dude and we can ***ess for you. Yes it would be a shame to loose her if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Admire your devotion to itI
I can't see a way of uploading pictures to this forum otherwise I would have done. The attachments don't seem to work :-( I'm obviously doing something wrong but I can't see what. I will try and change my profile picture to show the car (have done that.. not a good quality picture).

It looks a lot worse than it is. The car is B99 Atlantic Blue. The "white" parts of the photo are just reflections. The inner skin is not damaged just the outer skin. The rear right corner of the bottom of the boot has been pushed in slightly but not by much. I still can't believe that the tailgate is untouched. The rear panel has been pushed forward and sideways such that the rear door is a very tight fit. The local Bodyshop (I've known them years) I took the car to say it should all pull out but the best solution is a new rear quarter panel. It needs a new rear bumper and rear o/sr lights (already found on ebay). One of the exhaust pipes has a small dent. The only thing not working is the outer right parking sensor and rear side and brake lights (bulbs smashed). The rest survived.

Oh... my other, other car is a 1990 Honda Accord 4th.Gen which I've had since 1994 (It has a habit of "re-generating" just when my wife thinks it's gone for good). Now I'm really hoping no one ever hits that!!!

Best Regards...
Ian

Just looking at your profile pic, that's a lot worse than I was expecting so it's no wonder they want to write it off! Are you sure there's no suspension damage?

That looks really bad, there must be some damage to chassis too!

BlueVTEC said:
Just looking at your profile pic, that's a lot worse than I was expecting so it's no wonder they want to write it off! Are you sure there's no suspension damage?
No it missed it. It will be rechecked by the bodyshop before any work is done on it. However it drives/rides just the same as it normally does.
The inner skin around the boot area is intact with little damage (it's bent a bit). I've been told will pull out fairly easily.
On the rear quarter panel, it's almost as though the outer skin has been peeled off. I still can't believe the tailgate is untouched and the exhaust just has a small dent in one of the pipes.

I will upload all the photos taken shortly after the accident. Ironically the car is in the hospital car park :)

My neigbour works for Nissan (design) & he also says the chassis doesn't appear to be bent.

Ian

Christ...That is painful to look at.

To be honest, I would cut your losses and pick up another Accord. They are worth so little now, and that one needs some serious jig work to get straight, especially seeing as you can see the inner boot shut has been pushed down and created a huge gap, and the way the wing is pushed against the door is worrying too!

Scrap her imo. :(

BlueVTEC said:
Christ...That is painful to look at.

To be honest, I would cut your losses and pick up another Accord. They are worth so little now, and that one needs some serious jig work to get straight, especially seeing as you can see the inner boot shut has been pushed down and created a huge gap, and the way the wing is pushed against the door is worrying too!

Scrap her imo. :(
The problem is I know that car's history and what has been done to it since I bought it in 2010 (eg new brake & fuel lines, air con pipes etc) If there were another similar one available then I'd change the plates (there is no way that number is going as it's mine..I've had it 30 years) and scrap this one but there isn't ATM. There was one a couple of months ago plus it was lower mileage but that has been sold (it was Type-V Atlantic Blue, 70k, full Honda service record etc). I suppose I'll have to wait & see how it pans outs. I am now using my 1990 Accord on a daily basis...

Ian.

It all depends how much it's worth in sentimental value. However, since you've only had it 4 years I would definitely pick up a new one and see if there's anything you want to switch across in terms of parts from the damaged one. It just looks like too big a job to be worth it, and tbh I wouldn't be happy to drive it after that, who knows what unseen damage has been done.

Seriously, these things pop up all the time with FSH, just wait a few weeks and you'll find one for a grand or less.

EDIT: Also, completely feel your pain, that would absolutely infuriate me. Cant believe the **** just drove off, hope you got his plates.

check out eplay number 121413585127 . Yours for about £400, my guess, if you were to make an offer.
cut or swap best bits ?

mikem said:
check out eplay number 121413585127 . Yours for about £400, my guess, if you were to make an offer.
cut or swap best bits ?
That's a good idea but sadly that one won't match as it's a midnight blue 4dr SE (2.0L) with grey interior & 122k miles. Mine is an atlantic blue 5 dr type-v (2.3L) with tan leather interior (in very good condition & no rips etc) & 94k miles.

I don't have any sentimental value for the car but the number plate has a value far, far more than the car and I've had that plate for 30 years. The car still has a long MOT & car tax so I think I'll sit & wait to see how it all pans out. If the chassis is bent it's definitely scrap. In the meantime another might come along on ebay or wherever!. So fingers crossed.

Ian

What does the plate have to do with it? Your private plate can be taken off your current Accord and put on retention of, then when you find another car you can transfer it over.

Talk to the DVLA.

The plate is (was) of concern because of what happened to one I had 35 years ago... I lost it and I didn't want to lose this one. Subsequent to the posts above, I have now found out that the rules etc have changed considerably and I can transfer it.

I very nearly bought an identical direct replacement yesterday... unfortunately the seller had already decided to withdraw his car from sale :-(

Best Regards...
Ian

So your scrapping the Type-V?

BlueVTEC said:
So your scrapping the Type-V?
No not at the moment. Fortunately, we don't rely on that car (since we have another 2 Accords) so I'm in no hurry to sort it out. I have had another good look underneath and I can't see any damage to the chassis. I am going to get the bodyshop to actually check it on a jig.

Shame your not closer, I'd happily buy it off you as is for parts! :(

A Postscript...

The Accord Type-V is dead.

Today my type-v was collected by the insurers and has gone to the scrapyard in the sky (I ***ume). It has taken this long since last August to get a resolution. The car was eventually professionally inspected in early February (at my insistence) and it didn't have a bent chassis etc etc. In fact the inspector said it was in very good condition apart from the smashed in rear quarter panel and the damage to the inner boot. He confirmed that it wouldn't take a bodyshop long to fix it but............ the cost would be more than double it's market value. I looked at buying the car from the insurance company and getting it fixed myself (they were quite happy about that). But the figures still didn't add up even with that option.

Then just when I hadn't seen one for months, on e-bay in early Feb there was a blue type-v (66k miles) in very good condition. I seriously considered buying that.

However in late Feb, we bought a 2004 7th.gen 2.4 auto with 52k on the clock..

Long Live the Accord 7th.Gen 2.4!

For a short period I had 4 Honda Accords!

Best Regards..
Ian

PS my wife says no, I can't buy a 5th gen as well even though I know where there is a very good 2.0 ES coming available soon.
Of course if I did I would have 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th generation Accords :) ;-)