What's new

Accord diesel shudders at start up and turn off

goonerfromlag

Members
Reaction score
Car
ACCORD GT SPORT
Hello peeps, my new to me 57 plate cdti shudders when I start it or turn it off. It is much more noticeable on starting it up. Depressing the clutch makes no difference. I can also feel some vibration/slight tremor when idling and below 1500 revs. Should I be worried or am I being unrealistic as this is my first diesel car? Thanks in advance for your input.

I don't know about when it actually idles but all diesels give a good hard shudder when then turn off that's just the nature of high compression engines.

I can't say I notice any shudder on mine especially as I think the Honda has balancer shafts in the engine

Your car shouldn't do this at a guess I would say engine mounts or DMF

Mine doesn't shudder and runs smoothly, even at low revs. I suggest that you check the engine mounts first.

But it could also be something like a duff injector not fuelling correctly

When was the engine last serviced? Ensure it's running on the correct oil and the filters are clean. Even a sudden drop or loss of oil pressure can cause shudders like this. I know it sounds like a slightly tenuous link, but these cars are very reliable if looked after properly.

Also, I know you say 'dreaded DMF' but DMF problems are not that common really on these.

Dave is right, it could even be a slightly misfuelling injector or loss of rail pressure. If you can get it to me, I can run a full Honda diagnostic on it for you.

Mine also shudders on start up and turn off. I took it to honda and they said it was fine and thats just how diesels are.

It was serviced by honda brindley just b4 i picked it up, though i specifically asked for 0w-30 oil they'd used 5w-30 oil. I changed this to 0w-30 a few days after. Really don't trust that the relevant work has been done at this point.
I'll be changing all filters & fluids in another week or so.

When was the engine last serviced? Ensure it's running on the correct oil and the filters are clean. Even a sudden drop or loss of oil pressure can cause shudders like this. I know it sounds like a slightly tenuous link, but these cars are very reliable if looked after properly.

Also, I know you say 'dreaded DMF' but DMF problems are not that common really on these.

Dave is right, it could even be a slightly misfuelling injector or loss of rail pressure. If you can get it to me, I can run a full Honda diagnostic on it for you.

Thanks, do you go past london/se at all?

Yes - drop me a PM to discuss.

Mine shudders when start up....and sometimes does a single shudder when turned off, although meant to be characteristic of the engine I cant remember my pre facelift feeling so rough, I am getting Fahad to come and do a Stage 1 remap and run a HDS on mine so if he finds anything I am sure one of us will let you know as it may be a similar issue.

Mine shudders when start up....and sometimes does a single shudder when turned off, although meant to be characteristic of the engine I cant remember my pre facelift feeling so rough, I am getting Fahad to come and do a Stage 1 remap and run a HDS on mine so if he finds anything I am sure one of us will let you know as it may be a similar issue.

Thanks