What's new

Air con removal question

Davsurfa

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 Accord se vtec
My A/C doesn't work, never has since I got the car. I've heard it's a 10whp gain when removed due to less drag or something on the engine. Anyways taking it all out isn't the problem, the problem lays when I get to replacing the belt for the alternator. I read that the American DX model didn't have A/C and is the belt I would need. What I need to know is what year is a DX?? Or another belt that would fit. Anyone help me on this??

I'm not sure about the belt unfortunately but is the power loss that high with no aircon running? The reason I ask is it works with a clutch mechanism to engage it, therefore it might not be such a loss unless it is/was actually engaged..

Obviously there is some loss in turning the aircon pulley but maybe its not as bad as reported?

In all honesty I'm not entirely convinced by this 10hp gain. I can see there would be a gain but I very much doubt it'd be as high as 10. I got the figure from an american accord forum after googling "a/c removal honda accord". I think short of a before and after dyno run I'll never know but it will tidy up my bay.
Just gotta source the right belt now

You will only gain in weight loss. If you completely remove the AC, it might save you about 50kg(not sure about the number)

Pedro is spot on mate. All in, an AC system will add between 40 and 70kgs of weight.

You WILL NOT see an increase of perfomance from simply removing the system. The system only saps power when it's turned on. So when driving everyday and not having the system turned on, your engine doesn't even know it's there.

But the lack of pump etc, and especially that extra fan will be a noticable tidy up in the engine bay.

Ok so now we have decided that there will be no hp gains and to be honest a weight loss of 50 odd kg that'll be completely unnoticeable so does anyone know about the belt size?

losing 50kg will be totally noticeable , that's like losing a adult from the car.. Well worth it in my opinion.... As said before mine doesn't work either and if I can't fix I'll strip because I want the weight loss....

Paul

No offence but if weight is an issue run at half a tank of fuel all the time and leave your spare wheel and jack at home, there's a 50kg save. I always thought weight saving was a Civic owners obsession. Drilling holes in the rear bumper is their usual trick too

Ok so now we have decided that there will be no hp gains and to be honest a weight loss of 50 odd kg that'll be completely unnoticeable so does anyone know about the belt size?
Don't know the size, but you just have to buy an alternator belt for Accords without AC.

Look here for reference:
https://www.gates-online.com/GatesEU/en/GB/adirect/gateu1?cmd=Automotivewebcat

Or here, considering a 1.8, F18B2 engine:
http://seekpart24.com/gates/v-ribbed-belts-6pk955?c=100431&at=8516

I forgot to reply to this, but my aircon is now completely removed. The replacement belt is only 7mm shorter than the original so I could of used the original one and lost the excess on the alternator adjustment. I went to a local place called Electroparts in Daventry and he had a listing for an alternator belt for a non-aircon Accord 1999-2002! I tried it and it fitted :)

Glad you got it all sorted dude!!!!

I thought everyone was like me and left there jack and spare wheel at home ;) lol let's be honest my 14/15" wheel ain't getting me nowhere lol

Did you notice in change in performance then, mainly with the weight loss?

50KG is almost a grown man and a reasonable amount to lose from your car. I'm sure you will feel something, especially when you're low on petrol as well. Plus Air Con units being on can sap between 5-10% of engine power (so I've heard :unsure: ), so in all, it should make some difference. But why stop there? What else don't you need? Strip it out and get the car lighter and more nippy. I don't think many people (if anyone) on this sight has done such a thing. Could be very interesting to see/hear what the effects are of stripping down the heavy old beast that is the Accord.

I would imagine it would feel quicker and pick up pace slightly more.

Something odd I noticed on mine though sometimes when I have the air con on the car becomes really responsive, it is really odd, like as soon as I hit the gas it accelerates really quickly, becomes really revvy and the engine is alot more audible. I don't really understand why :s as other times I can fell it sapping power as acceleration becomes sluggish.