What's new

Airbox location.

Superman001

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th & 7th Gen Accord
Just thought I would have a go at fiting the K&N panel filter in the airbox and thought thats good I wont need any tools to do this job as there are clips on the lid, how wrong was I.

Couldn't quite reach one of the clips and I have got medium to small hands so figured out the airbox intake next to the battery easilly pulled off which is good.

So now I can lift the lid about 2 inches and even touch the old filter but can't lift the lid any further due to it being between the edge of the car and the battery, so even if I could slide the filter out there's only about 3 inches of space between the airbox and the slam panel.

So my question is, do I need to slacken off the jubilee clip the holds the intake tube from the airbox to the throttle body?

Also with the airbox being so tightly packed in the corner of the bay im supprised Honda didn't put the battery in the boot.

Yeh it's annoying isn't it how its tucked under the wings and slightly blocked in by the battery. It's easy enough to take out though, detaching the intake tube from it helps as you have more leverage, then all you need to do is squeeze it to the right and take it out, you might scrape a bit of plastic, or you can always loosen the battery and move it slightly out the way, but ive never had to do that.

Call me sad or boring but when I look at these sort of things I try to see the design of something and how it could be improved and just come to the conclusion that the battery would be better off in the boot.

You can save yourself ALOT of hassle if you keep the bottom half of the box on the car. When you pull that out, it is a nightmare to get it back on. So as Exec says, undo the clip and pull it off, then resume lifting off the top half and it should be fairly straight forward. It is a pain in the backside I will admit, especially something as simple as an air filter.

Don't worry I have every intention of leaving the bottom of the box where it is.

I guessed most people would have to remove the battery to change the airfilter, I was just trying to avoid as it means finding the radio code which im not sure I have got.

Thanks anyway Andy, much appreciated.

I think the battery is fine where it is, having it in the boot would be annoying cos not only would it take up space in a boot where it narrows anyway due to the double wishbone setup, but you end up with wiring going across the car and more work if you ever wanted to hook more stuff up to the battery.

The top section is easier to get off once you figure out a method, i find it easier to slide it off from the inserts it goes into on the bottom section and pull it out from the back, this is with the piping detached, gives you much more room to manoeuvre it out, with the battery it might be enough to just loosen it and slide it to the side if there is space to play rather than detach the whole thing.

Seems a bit silly though that they made the air filter box itself very easy, with a simple clip design and placed it in an ideal location, yet ended up putting it in an awkward way.

If your running a k&n why don't u remove the bottom box and run the k&n as an open airbox design and run cold Air feed???

That's what I did with my f18b2 accord sport.
Crisper throttle response and very impressive vtec engagement sound.

Do you mean the resonator bottom box?

Yep, get the resonator gone and get yourself a proper cold air intake in the mate. It's cool. I've done it.

Maybe at some point I will but for the moment im trying not to do too much to the car as its intended use is just a reliable daily.

Maybe once I have sorted my Jag out then I can do things to the car and it won't matter how long it takes because I'll have my other car to use.

The airbox is easy to remove.. Plenty of space and takes 5 mins and the battery isnt in the way in anyway what so ever...

TonyK7ng87 said:
If your running a k&n why don't u remove the bottom box and run the k&n as an open airbox design and run cold Air feed???

That's what I did with my f18b2 accord sport.
Crisper throttle response and very impressive vtec engagement sound.
When my airbox wasn't sat correctly, I got an engine warning light. So for this reason, I would try and keep it as factory and just stick a decent quality filter inside.

Thats what I did in the end, just took out the paper filter and replaced with the K&N filter.

I just loosened the battery tie bar and shifted it a few mm to the right and loosened the jubilee clip of the intake tube and it was easy enough.

Sorry solvalou but theres nothing on the airbox that will cause the eml light to come up unless you are checking the air supply or not connected a breather pipe properly.

I had mine running perfect with no resonator and no bottom box connected with my hks panel filter, I covered over 9k miles with no issues what so ever.