What's new

annoying seat belys.....

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
whenever i take off my belt or a passenger does in the front they never zip back as they should and i end up feeding them back into the slot to get them out of the way.

anyone else have this issue?

any idea how to fix it?

Mine are a bit rubbish. I've subconsciously got in the habit of going bottom left to top right when I un-buckle to take the weight as it feeds back in. If I just press the release it'll sit there all day.

On a similar note the back belts drive me insane. Once you stop pulling the belt out it locks and can't be pulled out any further without first fully retracting the whole thing (not funny when you've just spend 5 minutes threading through a child seat). My solution is to pull the entire belt out, fit a freezer bag clip to hold it out, thread it through the car seat then remove the clip to allow the excess back into the winder.

I have 2 solutions for seatbelts that don't retract - one is not at all safe or legal so I won't bother mentioning it :lol: the other is get a clean cloth and some warm soapy water, pull the belt all the way out and give it a clean. Then use some IPA or similar and clean the metal surfaces in the seatbelt bracket an the door pillar. That should help get everything moving more freely, as I've found that usually slow belts are slow through dirt.

As for the locking rear belts, I think this was covered in the 6th gen section at some point - I think it's a design feature or something, and there is a way to prevent them locking detailed in the owner's manual? I could have just imagined this though so ignore me if that's the case :lol:

Same problem here but after shutting the buckle in the door jamb it does focus the mind. Those rear belt buckles that disappear under the squabs are a PITA as well, unless the owner digs them out before the kids get in the back.

Josh2109 said:
I have 2 solutions for seatbelts that don't retract - one is not at all safe or legal so I won't bother mentioning it :lol: the other is get a clean cloth and some warm soapy water, pull the belt all the way out and give it a clean. Then use some IPA or similar and clean the metal surfaces in the seatbelt bracket an the door pillar. That should help get everything moving more freely, as I've found that usually slow belts are slow through dirt.
+1 on this. I've used a a bucket of warm water wit soap and soaked the belt in it for 5-10 minutes with gentle cleaning. Pull the belt full out of the retractor and use a cloth and vice grips to gently hold the belt (put the cloth between the vice-grips and belt to prevent damage). Works every time.

Yep! Mine doesn't retract either. Never has, ever since I bought the car. My 15 year old MK3 Golf I had before it, always did retract properly though. Maybe it's a Honda thing?

Use some silicone spray on a cloth and wipe it on the seat belt, then using a dry cloth make sure you get any residue off. The belt should then retract on it's own, I had to do this to the Civic.

Might be time for me to do this. The Mrs slammed the belt buckle in the door rather hard this morning :angry:

Stevearcade said:
Might be time for me to do this. The Mrs slammed the belt buckle in the door rather hard this morning :angry:
would you report back with any success Steve please if you go ahead and try it?

Will do mate.

+1 for crap seatbelts.....may give the Silicon spray a try at some point.