What's new

Another DPF issue

BrummieEXGT

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord EX GT
Hi, sorry if this has already been covered

I bought my 2.2 EXGT about 6 months ago, at the time i was doing 60miles a day round trip on the motorway and all was good.

Then in November I was unfortunately made redundant, I managed to get a new job in December which is now around a 30mile round trip in stop/start traffic and this has lead to the DPF check light on and limp mode. I never recieved any prior warning such as the DPF regen light which is annoying :huh:

Looking at all these issues, costs with DPF, etc. and also the type of driving im now doing I have decided to get rid of the DPF filter, remap and delete the DPF out of the ECU.

I have spoken to Celtic tuning and they will map and delete the DPF for £425 however I need to get the DPF gutted prior to them mapping.

So my question is this:

Can I take the DPF off and smash out the internal filters or do I need to cut it open to remove the filters and then weld it back up?

Many thanks for your help :)

We do these all the time mate, see link below.

I can do the whole thing inc the exhaust work and Premier Tuning Stage 1 @ 38bhp for £500. You would need to bring the car up to Bradford a whole day.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.407169602687346.94186.148037185267257&type=3

The correct way to do it is to gut it. Do not chop it and reweld it. The DPF cage is made of what i believe to be cast iron and reaches temps of over 500 degrees celcius when it's regenerating. It's not an easy pipe to gut as the bottom neck is kinked. It took us 8 hours on the first one we ever did, but my guys have perfected the technique now.

The price also includes a full Honda health check and DPF regeneration prior to removal and tuning. This bit is key as an ECU already in limp mode is tricky to clear out unless you actually regen it.

Thanks for that Fahad looks very useful, can I just drill it out?

I have seen you company advertised but Bradfords a long way in limp mode :lol:

Celtic said they will come to me to do the mapping which will be easier and also mentioned that i could expect to see gains of around 70bhp, although i am woried about the clutch with that kind of power increase :huh:

You'll never see 70bhp, a pipe dream. If you're looking for an aggressive map, 45bhp is about the safe limit.

If the car is in limp mode, we can try and arrange for me to pay a visit closer to the time and perform a forced regen with the HDS. That way if its out of limp you can drive it up.

Even if you get another firm to come out and map it, if they don't take it out of limp first, you will have big problems on your hands as the serial ash counter needs to be reset. No responbile outfit should be tuning a car in limp mode anyway.

Thanks again, so are you saying I will have to do a forced regen on it anyway before I can remove the dpf and map it?

Exactly mate. If it's in limp, it needs to be cleared out of limp first.

We have ways of taking cars out of limp if they are stuck but it's a messy procedure and sometimes not always guaranteed to work. You should always try and do things the right way.

Exactly mate. If it's in limp, it needs to be cleared out of limp first.

We have ways of taking cars out of limp if they are stuck but it's a messy procedure and sometimes not always guaranteed to work. You should always try and do things the right way.

Thanks for all you help Fahad, very much appreciated :)

I have now found a local company with a good reputation that can do the mapping, DPF removal and delete so I am booking it in with them for next week.

Thanks for all you help Fahad, very much appreciated :)

I have now found a local company with a good reputation that can do the mapping, DPF removal and delete so I am booking it in with them for next week.
Can u keep us up to date with this I want mine doing but can't seem to find any info of anyone who had done

No probs mate, yes deal with one company that can take care of it start to finish. Good luck

Just a quick update....

My car went in yesterday to Torque Peformance to have the DPF deleted and be remapped.

I'm pleased to say it made 201bhp at 295ft-lb. and it drives fantastic, really nice smooth power curve :)

I would definitely recommend them to anyone, great service and lent me a car for the two days aswell :D

I can post my Dyno graph if anyone's interested?

Well done mate, and yes of course post it up!

Happy motoring B)

wait I just read your post properly, are you saying it made 53bhp but only 37lbft?

sorry, I don't want to pick holes but something doesn't sound right. That car is 148bhp/258lbft stock

Did you get a before and after power run?

The final numbers themselves are not that important really as it shouldn't be about making maximum power... my concern is that such a large possible disparity between the bhp and torque numbers suggests the car is boosting very high and probably running lean to make so much bhp, without a better correlation of torque...

keep a close eye on it for the coming weeks mate and make sure it's behaving. Any unusal behaviour should be reported back to your tuner to let him solve it.

I;ve done around 90miles so far, the car feels great, no flat spots, pulls hard all the way through the revs.

I discussed torque with him before it was mapped and I also raised concerns about clutch issues on Accords with large increases.

He said it would easily make more however it was agreed and recommend to keep the torque below 300ft/lb, this is my daily car and don't want the expense of destroying clutches

Anyway he is the my Dyno run:

216FAC59-95C7-4569-83AE-97CBC601EA93-1807-00000177CBD49C9A_zps4c142c55.jpg

I don't wish to open a can of worms, but I'm pretty sure a dyno operator can make the readings appear to be whatever they or the customer want to see. My knowledge is somewhat out-of-date here, but - in particular - I do recall that gear selection can make a big difference, given the relationship(s) between torque, BHP and RPM. And let's not get into corrections for wheel hp to flywheel hp (often overstated, I recall).

As Fahad said, a before and after run is key (the same dyno, the same day, same test conditions) and would at least indicate % improvements. Actual figures are of academic interest... butt dyno rules and that's what'll make you smile!

I don't wish to open a can of worms, but I'm pretty sure a dyno operator can make the readings appear to be whatever they or the customer want to see. My knowledge is somewhat out-of-date here, but - in particular - I do recall that gear selection can make a big difference, given the relationship(s) between torque, BHP and RPM. And let's not get into corrections for wheel hp to flywheel hp (often overstated, I recall).

As Fahad said, a before and after run is key (the same dyno, the same day, same test conditions) and would at least indicate % improvements. Actual figures are of academic interest... butt dyno rules and that's what'll make you smile!
Absolutely.
Rolling roads are a well-worn debate, only a dyno at the cranksahft output can give BHP figures with 100% truth.

As long as you are happy Tom, that's all that really matters mate.

I don't want to pick holes as it's easy to do, and I've had people try and do that to me and it's a pointless debate. Jon is right, anyone can manipulate a dyno to read whatever they want, there are far too many variables.

What's important is that you have good reliable power with the big grin factor.

Cool. I haven't had any DPF issues yet but if I end up changing jobs and doing short journeys its one thing that will need to be done.

Another thing I forgot to ask was if your MPG is any better removing the DPF. I suppose it will take a while for you to judge it fairly but if you keep us updated that would be great.