What's new

Another oil query.

MyfirstVtech

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Ok so is castrol edge 5w30 fully synthetic going to be ok for my 2001 reg 1.8i VTEC with 103k on the clock.
The mate I bought it off had the oil changed 9k ago but that was 2years ago and it was with 5w30 also.

Run mine on 5w40 fully synth too.

She's on 112k and pretty smooth

Seems smoother now, once warm is it safe to take the revs right up-to the red line and a bit into it?
Also with it being a 1.8 will it be ok at say 90mph for an extended period on the motorway at my own risk of points.

MyfirstVtech said:
Seems smoother now, once warm is it safe to take the revs right up-to the red line and a bit into it?
Also with it being a 1.8 will it be ok at say 90mph for an extended period on the motorway at my own risk of points.
Yeah, Castrol Edge is so good you can simply ignore the rev counter!

If you're not driving at over 100 MPH then you're not really trying...

Hmm I sense an air of sarcasm Jon
Ok so a better way to word my question is unlike my Celica do these engines like being revved a little as in driven to the redline in the first few gears once warm every now and then?

LOL, sorry.

I'm pretty sure there's a rev limiter to prevent over-revving, and the rev limit will be conservative. Personally I don't believe that revving an engine to the limit really achieves much benefit, but others will disagree.

Was your Celica a 1.8 VVTi? Lovely engines, I've got an MR2 Roadster with one of those.

Haha it's ok I do love the change in note after 4k it sounds more lively and seems to pick up a tiny bit quicker.
It there a certain brand of oil that the 1.8 prefers or am I fine with what's in it?

Nope I had a gen 6 sr 1.8. Lovely looking car in silver but just no guts at all just lots of noise haha. I would love an mr2 but just can't at the mo

In my experience, except for Fiats, all petrol-engines can be revved as far as they will go without any issues. Even the first cars that I ever drove after passing the driving test in the 70's (my father's Hillman Imp and Austin 1800) both went as far as they could go in low gears (no rev counter or rev limiter in those days). The Austin 1800 reached 100 mph on the M1 (probably optimistic but left many Fords behind).

freddofrog said:
In my experience, except for Fiats, all petrol-engines can be revved as far as they will go without any issues. Even the first cars that I ever drove after passing the driving test in the 70's (my father's Hillman Imp and Austin 1800) both went as far as they could go in low gears (no rev counter or rev limiter in those days). The Austin 1800 reached 100 mph on the M1 (probably optimistic but left many Fords behind).
Not much point in revving the engine beyond the point where torque starts to drop off at a rate quicker than the revs can keep increasing though, unless BHP is less important to you than shouting 'Yo VTEC just kicked in...'!

Jon_G said:
Not much point in revving the engine beyond the point where torque starts to drop off at a rate quicker than the revs can keep increasing though, unless BHP is less important to you than shouting 'Yo VTEC just kicked in...'!
torque on petrol engines is flatter than on diesels, and if the torque is not falling away as much as changing up would, then stay in the gear until the revs can go no further (by rev limit or by breathing-limit)

Just hang it out till the redline in every gear. It is a honda after all.

Haha I won't do that just didn't want to be damaging anything by going high in the revs mainly because my Celica sounded like ****e when I did that.

I don't know what state your engine is in, but these cars are designed to be able to be driven at higher rev range, thats what VTEC is all about, when your in that range you will find thats where all the power and torque is, and its linear and goes up as its a petrol VTEC not a diesel where everying shoots and goes within 1k rev band. I have owned mine for 6-7 years and every journey I use VTEC a few times, its addictive and every once in a while go for a spirited drive, it is bags of fun to drive. If your not ringing yours to the red line your doing it wrong. :)

If I can remember my youtube login I would post up a video of mine.

I also use Shell Helix 5w40, made switch from Castrol Magnatec 10w40, car runs smooth on the 5w40 and the Shell oil is good quality and cheap as chips, ~£16 for 5ltr from ECP with discount codes.

Hey cheers exec I will post a link in a mo when I get on YouTube so you can hear hear what my engine sounded like before I gave it an oil change which it hadn't had for 2 years/9k miles. I will post another up tomorrow of what it sounds like now.
I'm always listening for unusual noises from my car but that's my ocd.
Let me know what you think please.
Below is before the oil change

https://youtu.be/3s6jWjO36is

Jon_G said:
We diesel owners have turbo boost whine, but are too civilised to chant about it...
Yes instead you drive around choking us with you nasty soot

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Goodluckmonkey said:
Just hang it out till the redline in every gear. It is a honda after all.
Very true

honda_saj said:
Yes instead you drive around choking us with you nasty soot
Tapatalk
You know what they say....

......better out than in.

Goodluckmonkey said:
You know what they say....

......better out than in.
pollutant all diesel drivers should have a guilty conscious

We already pay the price in driveshafts, front suspension components and flywheels.

How much extra is a guilty conscience gonna cost me?

To answer the Pop's question, I normally use the comma oil site.

It'll tell you what is and isn't compatible. Ie: you need Honda specific PAS flùid, but there is an alternative to Honda MTF for the gearbox, etc.