What's new

...Another Tailgate Problem (Tourer)

steve did you not try ecu reset procedure yourself ?

Stevearcade said:
Indeed. I pulled fuse 21 out today while the car was parked at work. Went back a couple hours later, refitted it and turned the key. TAIL GATE light still on, nothing reset, so the problem's a little deeper than the boot's ECU needing rebooting (no pun intended :rolleyes: ).
This is reset procedure

To reset the tailgate ECU:

[SIZE=12pt]The tailgate needs to be open, remove BOTH negative AND positive terminals from battery for several minutes (20), reattach pos then neg, turn key to position all (lights on dashboard) -notice that TAILGATE warning light is now off. Physically close the boot by hand, remove key from ignition [/SIZE]

freddofrog did you fix your tailgate ?

Result mine is working good after repairs of wire?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I've recently had frustrations with the tailgate on my tourer. It would close with motor,but light on dash said it was open. It wouldn't open with motor at this point. Pulling at tailgate showed it wasn't fully closing, but was on what I can describe as a first latch (kind of like a popped bonnet) so it couldn't be lifted open but wasn't properly closed. If I shoved it a bit it would then be fully closed and everything worked as normal. This was the case for a few weeks during which I manually closed (slammed) it but electronically opened, at which point tried the motor to close it and it was fixed. Then after a while it went faulty again. Anyway this time I realised the handle to manually open the boot was stuck on open position (stiff through lack of use I guess). I simply pushed it back to its proper resting position and it's fine. Hope this helps someone out as it was annoying me no end! I just need to get round to spraying a bit of wd40 and work it in to get it back to how it should be before someone else (was my father last time) decides to open boot with the handle!

The tailgate handle gets full of crap spray some cleaner and use handle to work in,it's a common issues amongst many others mine is still working [emoji2]

Channel Hopper said:
I'd help, but each time I try to enlarge the image on the iPad I get photo bucket spam on the screen.

right-click, save image as ....

then you can look at it at leisure outside of a browser

did you fix tailgate looks like connector goes to ecu

Seems that way another flyby

Hey guys - Had same issue as this thread.... Got some very welcome help from freddofrog in terms of plugging in diagnostics (ta!) BUT no obvious solution from other posts -

As we can reset whenever we need to by disconnecting the battery, I wondered - Is there a way I can put a switch into the power feed that goes to the ECU? I'm getting tired of re-programming the radio :)

kingwowns said:
Hey guys - Had same issue as this thread.... Got some very welcome help from freddofrog in terms of plugging in diagnostics (ta!) BUT no obvious solution from other posts -

As we can reset whenever we need to by disconnecting the battery, I wondered - Is there a way I can put a switch into the power feed that goes to the ECU? I'm getting tired of re-programming the radio :)
Why would need to keep resetting ?

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Hey Saj - Same reason as others - the boot tail warning light comes on then the boot won't open... Once we disconnect the battery for 10 secs it resets and works for up to a week...

kingwowns said:
Hey Saj - Same reason as others - the boot tail warning light comes on then the boot won't open... Once we disconnect the battery for 10 secs it resets and works for up to a week...
You either have wiring issue or faulty ecu or software need update on tailgate ecu pm me if you still stuck

For those having tailgate issues I suggest you check wiring before jumping In too deep.
Since I repaired my boot wiring have never had to reset, you can remove tailgate fuse in engine to reset.

Thanks Saj!

UPDATE - Our battery was pretty crap and finally died in the cold weather around a month ago - the problem has now not happened again, so perhaps before anything else, try a donor battery of good quality.

Ta
Chris

kingwowns said:
Thanks Saj!

UPDATE - Our battery was pretty ***** and finally died in the cold weather around a month ago - the problem has now not happened again, so perhaps before anything else, try a donor battery of good quality.

Ta
Chris
The battery most likely reset which can fix ecu stuck issues. However if wiring has intermittent issues you will see problem back hopefully not in your case, thanks for reply.

Reviving this thread. Mine was working fine this morning used it once today came to open it this afternoon and nothing works on the boot. The key fob button doesn't work neither does the handle and I've got the tail gate light on. How annoying!

Broken wiring just peel back the lining where it hinges and inspect it

My turn, Honda Accord Tourer 55 plate. No key fob, no lock, Tail light on dash. Only second issue in 5 years (first was aircon over pressure sensor) so can't grumble compared to my Landie lol.

Fuse 21 seems to affect the the central locking too - is that correct?

For tomorrow:
  • Inspect Fuse 21
  • Reset dash light/ECU by following said instructions above
  • Inspect wiring
  • Feel free to add!

Can someone point me to a HDS? Do I need a HIM too?

Maybe all I need is: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDS-Cabl...le-Tool-Support-HDS-OEM-Software/152961014473
AND https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-HDS-3-103-023/202806064369?hash=item2f382ef4f1:g:ZyoAAOSw-hRcq8S4
??

OR the latest whole shaboodle?

Cheers all.

Last edited:
Reset ECU all Ok, dash light extinguished, let's see if it returns.

Cheers all.

just catching up on thread hds lead on its own wont do much the him unit is what i use and works very well depending on what version of hds you use

Please list if you have checked wiring loom on both sides before looking at sensors ?

Hi Saj. Thanks for your interest! So far I have tried a battery reset (I think that was your instructions I followed?) but no luck.
Someone suggested giving the boot a 'hand' after it starts to see if the hydraulics are weak. I can't try that as it won't even start to lift now, but I think the arms are ok as it has good pressure under manual use.
I will try and take a look at the wiring when I get a chance (maybe at the weekend) and report back!