What's new

Anti-Roll Bar D Bush Replacement

Why no photos there?

I'd also, like to bump this again in request of the pictures being re-uploaded. Thanks.

Ok so I've noticed a slight knocking when going over speed-bumps and it's been getting worse for the last six months or so. Over the weekend I noticed a loud "twonking" noise coming from the right rear.

Had a quick look on here and the first thing to try seemed to be the ARB bushes. Found this write-up but noticed there were no pictures so though I'd add some. These are for a diesel tourer UK spec RHD. I've been lurking long enough so thought it would be useful to add some content.

All in it took about 50 minutes from getting the tools ready to packing them away again. Started by jacking the car up at the rear and resting it on axle stands. Taking the rear wheels off would make access slightly easier but I was too lazy to do that.

All camera shots are from the rear of the car, if that makes sense. The majority are from the passenger side as the lack of exhaust makes things easier to see.

1. This is on the passenger side and you can see the bush and housing highlighted. Interestingly neither of the bushes looked particularly worn on my initial visual inspection. You can just make out one of the bolts that need removing.

bush1.jpg

2. Same thing slightly different angle.

bush2.jpg

3. So this is the underside after removing the metal housing around the bush. Again it doesn't look particularly worn.

bush3.jpg

4. This is the bush and housing on the drivers side shot from below before removal. Hopefully you don;t need the highlighting any more :)

bush4.jpg

5. This is everything removed and the new and old bushes side-by-side. Again there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference between the bushes. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the edge of the hole in the bushing was worn on the drivers side from where the noise had been coming from. No way I could have seen it without removing the bush.

bush5.jpg

6. All refitted on the passenger side. Oh look the highlighting is back.

bush6.jpg

7. And on the drivers side.

bush7.jpg

I took it for a quick test drive over some lovely local speed bumps and the loud "twonking" had gone plus the slight knocking. It really was quite a marked difference and shows how you get used to things that slowly get worse over time.

Make use of the opportunity to upgrade to polybushes and also buy new brackets -

On my 6G ATR -

Calipers01.jpg

Calipers02.jpg

ARB bushes was a surprisingly easy job, i didn't even need to jack up the car.

Was just thinking of replacing the rear ARB bushes on my tourer to cure some creaking. However the only polyurethane ones I could find online were for the saloon over here.

Jeff, to save me crawling under the car (and you haven't thrown old bush away), can you check size of the bush? From the markings in you pictures I'd ***ume its internal diameter is 22.2 at least. Thanks.

Make use of the opportunity to upgrade to polybushes and also buy new brackets -

ARB bushes was a surprisingly easy job, i didn't even need to jack up the car.

Thinking about doing these aswell. along with the droplinks. Can I ask where you got the polybushes and brackets from?

cheers

Andy

Was just thinking of replacing the rear ARB bushes on my tourer to cure some creaking. However the only polyurethane ones I could find online were for the saloon over here.

FYI - I found the creaking was the rear ARB droplinks, the bushes give a knocking rather than creaking sound...

If the 7G is the same as the 6G, it is literally a case of undoing two bracket bolts per side, pulling off the old bushes, greasing up the new ones to stop them squeaking, slip them over the bar and then bolt the bracket back on.

Even a spanner numpty like me managed it with ease.

Ok so I've noticed a slight knocking when going over speed-bumps and it's been getting worse for the last six months or so. Over the weekend I noticed a loud "twonking" noise coming from the right rear.

Had a quick look on here and the first thing to try seemed to be the ARB bushes. Found this write-up but noticed there were no pictures so though I'd add some. These are for a diesel tourer UK spec RHD. I've been lurking long enough so thought it would be useful to add some content.

Cheers mate, really helpful.

I will have a go at this myself soon..

Anyone know what size bushes I need to order for the 7th gen tourer, front and back?

You don't think those ones linked above (the blue ones) will be superior then? The OEM ones in Lings Honda website are cheaper for sure. But given both are pretty cheap, I'll happily pay a little more if it's a superior product.

Polybush > OEM rubber bush

Will last 4 times longer too.

:blush: Do you mean Polybush wins?

Only I've had the car for 3 years and yes I do chuck it about sometimes but I've already replaced my fronts and I'm not convinced they're in great shape. Also my backs are rattling a good 'en.

">" is greater than
"<" is less than
"=" is equal too :)

Poly bushes offer improved suspension with the noise absorbing quality of rubber and much better longevity.

I'd love to poly bush the whole of my car, but that will be costly.

Cheers Shiny, I thought that's what you were saying, but never know if it's some new hip text lingo that I'm not aware of or something :lol: . The pieces are falling into place now. I'm still near the bottom of the mechanical learning curve, but have seen these Polybush sets for over £150. I'm seeing the sense here ;) .

Jeff, to save me crawling under the car (and you haven't thrown old bush away), can you check size of the bush? From the markings in you pictures I'd ***ume its internal diameter is 22.2 at least. Thanks.

Sorry I've already binned them. 22mm seems about right though.

I've had the dreaded creaking for a while now, it primarily occurs when the weight of the car shifts around, as opposed to hitting bumps.

Changed the bushes and no joy, the noise is coming from the drivers side, so I'm guessing one of the balljoints on that side has dried up.

Got genuine drop links waiting at my friend's house, a mate that works as a parts manager for Honda does have its benefits. Will be replacing those this weekend and praying the god-awful creaking noise stops.

At the same time as replacing the second rear caliper, binding rear brakes and that creaking and the clutch pedal click/creaking have been doing my head in lately.

Hopefully once this has all been done, and I've also then sorted new front discs and pads, it won't cost me any money for a while!

Well, I just replaced one D Bush. Pretty straight forward, although getting the bolt undone was tough and took longer than expected.

Moved onto the driver side and "ping" the head of the bolt just snapped clean off :angry: . So now I have to drive around with one side sorted with a new bush and the other side's an old bush hanging on by 1 bolt <_< until I can get the car in the garage to get them to drill out the bolt and replace it for me. Why do these things always have to end up being convoluted <_< .

Hey Steve - was this on the front or rear? If it was the rear the you could force it out! Happened to me on the back and I too thought I'd have to get it drilled but upon closer inspection the bolt actually consists of a nut spot welded to the chassis. I was able to get a wrench and a monkey bar onto this and pop the nut off. This left a nice hole in the frame that I was able to thread a new bolt through :)

Cheers Jason, but to be honest, I'm done faffing with it. I'm just going to take it to a garage, it will take then 20 minutes to get the bolt out and put the new one on. Shouldn't cost much as I have a very honest and nice garage I use for non-Honda specific stuff.

Apologies for the resurrection of this thread, but I need new ARB rear bushes for my facelift Tourer and like the sound of the poly bushes, but can anyone who's gone this route confirm that they are definitely 22mm?

The bushes are 22.2mm, that is what is says on my OEM bushes. I ordered some from ebay and guy sent me ones for accord coupe. Yes they don not fit. Lesson learnt (again...I am stupid), popping in to local dealer tomorrow. Also after reading manual I re-did link bar as I fitted it the wrong way plus used self-locking nut on the frame and flange nut on the stabiliser...What a dummy.
Do I have to lubricate bushes prior to fitting? Dan

a great read, and appears easy to do, too; just a bit unsure on the bolt head shearing off as Steve experienced; guess it depends on whether they've been done before and a lub applied to stop them from rusting tight.