What's new

Anyone written to Honda UK reagrding DPF?

Not familiar with their local mot test so couldn't say but we provide DPF removal software all over Europe.

Bet you couldnt do that in Germany for example, I reckon their MoT and taxi test would check for the dpf working. DPF is there to confirm to euro emissions regs.

Good work however.
Why would you think that??? Do you really think the council look for a DPF ?? Most council taxi test are very strict will fail on the slightest thing, but believe it or not carried out my mechanics/technicians who are not qualified to carry out a MOT test for Joe public. The ones in York don't even no what a DPF is so why would you think it would be any different in Germany.

Why would you think that??? Do you really think the council look for a DPF ?? Most council taxi test are very strict will fail on the slightest thing, but believe it or not carried out my mechanics/technicians who are not qualified to carry out a MOT test for Joe public. The ones in York don't even no what a DPF is so why would you think it would be any different in Germany.
Because they're extremely strict with their inspections and inspect basically everything on the car

I kinda agree with both perspectives here. It's not easy to spot a DPF removal if done correctly, and most emissions testing machines can only measure CO2 rather than ash/soot content.

However as I'm not familiar with the tests in the rest of Europe I don't want to categorically say they can't test for it.. but they would need some pretty sophisticated kit to do it. In any case as already stated, we provide DPF OFF all over Europe (and also North America, and parts of India and far east where diesels have become more popular) and we've not had any comeback yet to say its failing emissions tests.

As Yadash says Dave, the Germans are mega strict on vehicle testing, for example only approved tyre makes and sizes are allowed on cars, as detailed on the reg doc.

All I'm questioning is that it seems crazy that manufacturers go to all the trouble and expense to fit DPFs to conform to EU emission rules, and then we in the UK dont test diesels for particulate emissions. We must be in breach of EU rules, wonder if they will enforce it some day?

Cars arent as bad as trucks, but all the diesel particulates are bad for our health, asthma, maybe even cancer.

DPF's aren't new - they've been fitted to Mercs and BMW's since 2003 from what i've personally seen (possible earlier in some cars). The UK has had 10 years to start testing them if they really wanted to.

Bought my 59 plate tourer in August already in limp mode i took a gamble & bought cheap £5500 i removed the DPF my self if you turn it upside down you have access to the filter through the exhaust outlet use a heavy duty long masonry drill bit with a high torque drill & break it up shaking it out through the exhaust port it took 3 hours refitted & no sign its been cut open.

I drove it 6 miles to have remap & the limp mode got worse so bad that it would only do 10 mph after a few miles so driving to remap is not a viable option as the ECU shuts down.After Remap alls well after 8000 miles.

Regarding MOT until they use sophisticated smoke testers to measure particulates all should be ok mines a taxi & passed its 1st test in September with no issues although i agree it no longer meets Euro emissions standards.

The only reason I'm not really keen on doing map only solutions for DPF cars is that if the DPF hasn't been correctly removed or a sensor has been damaged it becomes a much bigger headache and finger pointing exercise.

When we do the work we are responsible end to end for the software and physical work.

Good on you for diy'ing though.

Little Update - HUK have offered me a regen and a software update so I am going to hold off on the removal for a bit longer. I suspect it is inevitable though but at least I won't have to pay out before xmas!

Thanks for your advice Fahad.

No probs and good luck!

I'm only thinking of it as a 'stay of execution' but you never know!

The only reason I'm not really keen on doing map only solutions for DPF cars is that if the DPF hasn't been correctly removed or a sensor has been damaged it becomes a much bigger headache and finger pointing exercise.

When we do the work we are responsible end to end for the software and physical work.

Good on you for diy'ing though.

Thanks Fahad my question is did i remove too much as the filter is in 2 parts the smaller section at the top (inlet side) i ***ume is the Cat i did remove the lot & that was the hardest to get out due to the platinum, as i say no issues but is its correct to make a total empty chamber or do you leave the cat part there ?.

Bit late now i know but a thought that did cross my mind after i did it.

You've removed too much mate.

The top bit is the Cat, and by removing it you make the car very smokey and also reduce backpressure which can sometimes create overboost problems if tuned a little too hard on these IDTEC's.

We've only ever removed one cat on these and that was because it had become deteriorated. By cutting it open and welding, you have proper access to ensure you only remove the bit that you need.

I bet your car stinks now for anyone stood outside. And I'd also be worried about it passing the taxi emissions test with no cat in it... have you had any issues?

Seen the MoT test changes, they are going to start checking for a DPF if it was fitted from new. Cars with it removed will fail.

Yep, it's not new news really.

If someone's left a visual giveaway that it's been removed then there's a risk it will fail. On the IDTEC's it's fully covered with a heatshield, as is the case on most cars.

The government had to respond somehow, and this is their response.

It passed its taxi test next day & up to now as done 8000 miles not noticed any smell up to now.

The guy who did it did mention he had to give it less boost as it was going into limp mode he never asked what I'd removed he said I might have a tutbo fault but it makes sence now, its plenty powerful enough for me I'm a plodder these days I do get 46 mpg round town which I think is good.

OK cool - as long as you've passed the test, but yes that's why you're getting overboost.

It will stink for people outside though lol

Final update - can't fault HUK and my local dealer in any way. HUK arranged for a replacement foc, just had to pay the labour charge so new DPF and latest software all done!! Should do me for a while longer.....

No probs and that's a great result so credit to Honda for doing the right thing.

Final update - can't fault HUK and my local dealer in any way. HUK arranged for a replacement foc, just had to pay the labour charge so new DPF and latest software all done!! Should do me for a while longer.....
Charged me £250 for filter :(

Hi F6HAD

Regarding EGR off re facebook pictures, I would consider this as I know removing & cleaning every few miles can help but on looking at the access now its at the rear of the engine its not an easy job at all so when you say off do you just map it out an leave it there because I notice in another Topic somebody wants to remove the engine to get to it ? I must say though its in a pig of a place so could you map mine out I don't mind coming to Halifax not to far from me.

Great pics by the way nice cut an shut job that mate.

Thanks - we've got the DPF removals nailed down to a fine art now..

Yes - we deactivate in the maps but can also add an error delete if you wanted to add a blanking plate if the valve is leaking or jammed.

Can anyone recommend DPF removal and tuning in the Lincoln area? I have had my 2009 accord regenerated 4 times now at £60 a go, in the last 8 months and has become a real pain in the arse! Failing that I think i will follow in the footsteps of Staddly and see if Honda will pull their finger out and help. I dont want to take it to some cowboy and ruin the engine worse than it is atm.

Staddly said:
Feddo frog, I will see how things go with Honda tomorrow. I spoken to Honda's customer service team to initially make them aware of the fault, they recommended i go to my local dealer and get them to run their diagnostic kit on it and proceed as neccessary. I have also contacted ceramex to get a quote (RRP £300), but as they dont deal directly with the public you can get a price from eurocarparts which priced me £275 +vat. I have posted the number below if any one else wants to contact Honda directly.

F6HAD, how much do you charge for the DPF to be gutted and remapped??

Honda Customer Contact Centre 0845 200 8000

Don't fit an aftermarket DPF to this car mate. You're also doing your car no favours by repeatedly invoking a forced regen..

Drop me a line for pricing and details.

No F6had the prices i mentioned there was what ceramex.com charge for a dpf clean. They use ultrasonics and chemicals to clean them and send it back with a test certificate. They clean dpf filters on anything from cars to trains!!