What's new

Broke down today

Blong91

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport 2.0
Hi all, I was driving to work this morning. Stopped at a red light and hit my key in the ignition with my knee.

This turned the car off. I thought I must have turned the key a bit with my knee by accident. This has happened once or twice before.

This time the car wouldn't start back up. Not a single light comes on in the car or outside the car including hazards, spare key and usual key won't do a thing. Had to pay a recovery company to get me back home.

Anyone any idea what this could be? Ignition switch possibly?

2.4 2004 Type S

Thanks.

Yes if it happened when striking the ignition barrel then chances are something is broken or dislodged. Strip it apart and check..

How do I get at it mate? Is there a few hidden screws just, and is there anything in particular to look for?

I'm not sure I've not taken one apart on an Accord but just follow logic and it should be straightforward.

Thanks for that.

Took it apart today. Everything seems plugged in etc but I don't know what I'm looking for. Need the car back on the road asap so any help would be really appreciated.

Hi please check main fuse, how are you with a multimeter ?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Might be the ignition switch - its situated at the end of the ignition key barrel.
Looks like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-HONDA-ACCORD-2-0-Petrol-Ignition-Switch-Contact-Group-/172165311668?hash=item2815da2cb4:g:Dy0AAOSw~bFWQGcO

Could be faulty but cant see how a knock from your knee would totally kill it.

As honda_saj mentioned: Have you checked all your fuses internally (on right lower side of drivers footwell) and all fuses in the engine bay compartment area.

Has the car been worked on previously, upgraded anything etc?

Hi thanks for getting back.

I checked every fuse today inside and under bonnet by removing and looking at them for any breaks in wiring. Will test again tomorrow when I get a voltmeter.

Engine etc is standard. It's had a used alternator put in a few months back, and a new battery.

I would check battery voltage and fuses including main 100a fise, fuses don't just use visual check continuity with a meter.

^ as above and other posts, check main fuse and other fuses using a multimeter

start from basics, check tightness of battery cables, especially the earth to chassis

do the headlightrs come on ?

basically, it could be caused by the ignition key, but it might not (coincidence)

Okay I'll check all fuses today and battery terminals with the multimeter.

Headlights don't come on, there isn't a single light coming on the car.

Thanks

Then as said check battery voltage then terminals you can measure voltage on 100a main fuse by ground on one side and the other prove on both sides of 100a fuse to see if voltage is there, could even be faulty alternator

OK, every fuse under bonnet and interior checked and all were okay for continuity on multimeter.

Battery reading 12-12.5ish volts on the terminals after sitting for 3 days.

Poked around the ignition and it there were voltage readings in multiple places.

Any other advice here lads?

Thanks very much.

Can you get to the instrument panel and check the connector hasn't become dislodged. I note you say that you get no lights at all on the panel?

I was thinking battery terminal may be loose but then you say you have voltage at the fuse box.

Instrument panel as in getting behind the speedo etc? Would something there being loose affect lights and power throughout the car?

Cheers

Which lights are you referring to? Just the lights in the instrument panel or courtesy lights headlights etc?

Sorry mate explained that badly. There isn't a single light coming on anywhere inside or outside the car.

Are you sure your battery terminals are on correctly? You may have a grounding problem..

Yeah had a mechanic look at it yesterday. He's suggesting I get a spark to look at it now, just having trouble getting one to the house.

I'd be interested to know what this is. Can't see how kneeing your ignition barrel would literally Kill the car.

Same. I'm baffled and clutching at straws ATM. Need this back on the road asap so hopefully I can get someone out.

I've had a look at the circuit diagrams (2.4, but 2.0 should be similar in the way the main circuits are arranged)

try the hazard warning button, this is powered directly from the battery via fuse 16 in the main fuse box in the engine compartment, so the indicators should flash when you press hazard the button

also, when checking battery volts, always measure from chassis to battery +ve

if the hazrads flash and you are measuring battery volts from the chassis, and if every fuse is definitely ok, then it could be the ignition switch

You can the ignition switch for voltages and see but I have never seen one totally fail although that's not to say one cannot.

Blong91 said:
OK, every fuse under bonnet and interior checked and all were okay for continuity on multimeter.

Battery reading 12-12.5ish volts on the terminals after sitting for 3 days.

Poked around the ignition and it there were voltage readings in multiple places.

Any other advice here lads?

Thanks very much.
Not wanting to sound like a broken record, but you've definitely checked this one?

2014-06-19_023334_mlyonrku9s-eepjb-16nn9q.jpg

@freddofrog, this is the 2.4. Hazards won't come on at all :(

@goodluckmonkey, is that the fuse which is in its own tiny fusebox to the left of the main under bonnet one? I checked every one I could find.

That's it.

It's the main fuse for the car. If it doesn't test for continuity, you'd have no path from the battery to the loom at all.

I suspect it's an ignition switch problem though as that's what you've knocked.

Okay thanks.

Can the switch be replaced separate to the barrel etc so I can still keep my keys, and is it hard to do? There is one on eBay for £20 but it's for a 2.0, although they are likely the same.

If the hazards do not come on then it looks like a battery or connection issue as freddo saod. Even if the barrel switch is not working the hazard and horn should work ?