What's new

Cannot Set Up my Phone - any tips?

JezUK

Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord 2.4 EX+
I've tried countless times to go through "Phone Set Up" on my car but the response is always "Repeat", "Pardon", "Say Again", it's of course highly frustrating!

I've tried different accents, speaking each word slowly, and each time end up giving up.....

Any ideas / tips please? I love this car, but this was something I was really hoping I'd have working correctly.

I have the Sat/Nav and it's an EX (if that helps).

Thank you.

Get someone else to try, might just be your accent. Otherwise might need some diagnostics carrying out on the HFT module with a Honda dealer system

I think I'm learning more about these cars (I've only had mine a couple of weeks) - my guess is that the Bluetooth module isn't working. It has either been disconnected, or, isn't working due to overheating (dry solder joints) - apparently a common problem. Apparently people disconnect them due to issues with draining the battery?

I've ordered some tools so I can prise open the dash and see what's what.

I get exactly the same with my 2008 ICDTI EX with Sat/nav - I've not gotten around to checking the BT module, I started with the mic first - as the nav diag doesn't register any input from the microphone.
Curious to see if this is just due to the BT module!

I fixed it :)

I followed this thread here and I removed the Bluetooth module, cleaned the circuit board using WD Circuit Cleaner, and then put it in the oven for 10 minutes as explained in this thread here;

Mine now works :) I've stored the phone numbers I'm interested in storing. I've also tested to check whether the car battery loses charge and it doesn't :)

(PS - make sure you press the correct phone button - for days I was pressing the incorrect button because of a YouTube video I'd seen).

Last edited:
Well, I took the your fast reply and the rain starting as a sign - time to do it. Popped the dash open ( wow how easy that was ! )
One bluetooth module sitting, unplugged. I'm going to make the ***umption it has the power drain issue - the BT board is now in the oven. I've cleaned down the power board for now and done a couple of quick checks with a multimeter - it seems okay. I'll find out within the hour I guess!
Hopefully a working unit and no battery drain - that would be really nice... Might put me off buying an xcarlink for a little longer.

Glad it worked for you - I'll edit this with the results once I'm done!

Edit #1
Total success - can't be bothered checking for parasitic draw but I managed to remove a previously paired phone and pair my redmi note 11. Both voice control and HFT seem to be working well - curious as to how quality will be, particularly as I messed with the microphone. It struggles a little with my accent but putting on airs fixes it... ! Can hear me over the fans talking normally which seems like a good sign!

Last edited: