What's new

Car Pulling - gahhhh...

jayok

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
CRV / S2000
Ok, so I'm back again, but this time it's not alignment. Basically my car is pulling to the left and this has happened since I got my clutch changed. Now before the change everything was perfect, no pull or similar on the car. Afterwards, I thought it was just in need of an alignment, but today the car was checked and it was perfect. The results are below:

alignment.jpg

Anything look unusual?

Now, I did have a sagging spring on the drivers side that I've replace and the ride-height is consistent around the car, tyres are relatively new (1000 miles) and have been rotated to elimate radial-pull. There's no obvious play on the control arms, ball joints, etc, but still I have this little pull to the left! Applying drive doesn't increase the pull and there's no vibration, likewise breaking doesn't affect it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!

Lower arm bush perhaps? Or a sticky caliper if it happens under braking?

My lower arm bushes were split and my god did it screw up the car's handling. It's rock solid since I got it done.

My lower arm bushes were split and my god did it screw up the car's handling. It's rock solid since I got it done.

Hmmm.... if the bushes were off would they not throw out the alignment as well? What's puzzling is that the alignment is ok.
Then again alignment is pretty static (i.e. the car isn't moving).

I checked the bushes when off and there's no play in them or anything that I can see and the pull is pretty consistent.

Re the sticky caliper, don't have the symptoms of that, no buring discs, pads or similar?

I had my alignment done, it was spot on according to the read outs but the car was still pulling and being skittish under breaking. Took it to my garage who did the lower control arm bushes and reset the tracking and all was cool again.

But yours does sound an odd one.

Why did you only change one front spring, why didn't you change them as a pair? When replacing suspension components they should always be done in pairs.

I wasn't clear - only one side was sagging but I replaced both spring and shocks while I was gone that far. Afterwards I checked the ride height all around and it was good.

The pulling was there before I changed the springs and the same pull is still there afterwards. Looks like I'll need to get the pry bar out and do some more poking...

Of course my reply is ambiguous I replace both sides! :)

Is it pulling on all roads, do you feel it more one type than the other or is it consistant on every road, also what size rims are you running on?

Is it pulling on all roads, do you feel it more one type than the other or is it consistant on every road, also what size rims are you running on?

It's pretty much consistent on all roads, of course the pull will vary depending on the camber of the road itself (as expected). However, the pull is there from the start and regardless of speed or distance the pull is there. I'm in 17" Penta's, but bear in mind, this only occured since the clutch was changed. Prior to this all was good.

Actually thinking some more, I just get the feeling it like a loose/worn bushing ot similar, as the alignment is measure when static and is ok, perhaps with a load on the car and driving something moves.

Mine pulls slightly to the left but I've put it down to the roads.
Just come back from 2 weeks in France and it pulled to the right over there.

Mine does similar even after multiple wheel balancing, changing a tyre to make sure they are all the exactly the same and the correct load rating and a full alignment on a Hunter (or whatever the one everyone recommends), and I'm sure I've read on here about a torque sensor in the electronic power steering that can need resetting if the gearbox has been off. I know mine has been, and you say you've just had your clutch done...

I just haven't got round to going to see Honda about it yet.

Edit... it's mentioned in this thread

I finally got some time to give this the once over - and I nailed it. I've uploaded a video about the findings here:

Compliance Bushing Findings

Basically, I replaced the compliance bushing and the pull is gone and the wandering steering is fixed - the car feels much better! :)

Apparently these are common failure points on an aged Accord, you don't need complete failure just fatigued rubber, which I had.

Only downside is I only got time to do the left side. The right side still needs to be done, but I ran out of time and one of the bolts seems completely seized. I didn't fancy drilling out a broken bolt in the subframe just today, so I left it alone for the moment. I need to get some heat on the stuck bolt.

Not sure if it helps anyone else, but at least I know :D

Awesome stuff man. You do make good videos.

And, it's what I thought it was. Like you, I had my alignment done all was supposed to be good only it was still twitchy, especially cornering and braking. Compliance bushes replaced and it was all good. Although having just watched your video I now actually understand what was replaced and why :blush: . Nice one Dude.

Thanks Steve. Yep you were right - it just I didn't check it properly. Sorted now anyway

I wonder how many Accords have the same issue that people don't realise?

Hi Jayok,
I'm based in Dublin too and have a similar issue or at least I think I do. I had a steering issue that resulted in a replacement rack but there is a clunking still and as you mention, steering can be skittish under braking and driving on flat roads, there is a pull to one side even after two alignment checks.

Hi Jayok,
I'm based in Dublin too and have a similar issue or at least I think I do. I had a steering issue that resulted in a replacement rack but there is a clunking still and as you mention, steering can be skittish under braking and driving on flat roads, there is a pull to one side even after two alignment checks.
Do you mind me asking how you removed and replaced the bush? Did you replace the two smaller bushes while you were at it also?

I used a puller to get the bush out - coupled with a impact wrench. Took about 30 seconds to get out. Not that tough to be honest. The biggest pain was stripping the suspension - stiff bolts everywhere.

For me I only replaced the compliance bush as the others were pretty good. Some recommended that all should be done but I wasn't 100% sure it was the problem so I didn't go mad replacing everything.

If you are in Dublin and you want a 2nd set of eyes - no problem. Just send me a PM