What's new

Car without service history

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 EX Honda Accord
Hey guys. A while back I posted in the newbie section that I am looking to buy an Accord. Man its tough! Couldn't find the right one. Either too expensive, or I don't like the colour etc. Then I stumble across a 2007 Executive which looked perfect. Nice bronze colour, 18" gun metal wheels, interior was immaculate - One problem, no service history!!

The car has 115k miles in it. When we fired up the engine it sounded perfect, no rattling. It was smooth and no strange noises. There weren't any fumes either.

What do you suggest guys, should I go for it? It fits well within my budget and its the best looking Accord I've seen.

id defo use that as a bargaining chip to get the price down to bargain levels.

Perhaps it might be worth taking the reg to a Honda dealer and seeing if they have kept a record. usually they don't mind telling you.

Take the out the dipstick. If the oil is black or there is NO oil on it (lol) then its not been serviced regular. i have 100k on my Honda and the oil is only a slightly dirty golden colour even when just about due for a change.

Hard to advise without knowing the price. You could try calling the previous owner off the log book. Also check its mot history online to see what it has failed on in the past and also to help verify the mileage.

One problem guys. I live in Malta and the car is imported from the UK.

87013 said:
Hey guys. A while back I posted in the newbie section that I am looking to buy an Accord. Man its tough! Couldn't find the right one. Either too expensive, or I don't like the colour etc. Then I stumble across a 2007 Executive which looked perfect. Nice bronze colour, 18" gun metal wheels, interior was immaculate - One problem, no service history!!

The car has 115k miles in it. When we fired up the engine it sounded perfect, no rattling. It was smooth and no strange noises. There weren't any fumes either.

What do you suggest guys, should I go for it? It fits well within my budget and its the best looking Accord I've seen.

dont buy one without a sh, it will lead to heart ache most likely.

why on earth would an exec have no sh..

walk away

Odd, but it really wouldn't put me off. Service history is just a piece of paper... carefully judge the car by its condition on the day (you wouldn't buy a wreck just because it had SH!) But I would use the lack of SH as a bargaining point, as already mentioned.

If it's a diesel, then the oil will be black... don't let this put you off.

Well I phoned the seller and he accepted that we will take the car to my preferred mechanic. This mechanic I know is practically a car doctor :). Many Accord owners here take their cars to his garage for service and check ups. Bdw speaking about oil. I read a lot here to use only 0W30. Is that strictly to the UK or for every Accord? Here in Malta I asked around and they put in 5W40. The climate here is a bit hot and in winter doesn't really get that cold.

I'm ***uming this is a diesel then?

You wouldn't need a 0W cold rating, 5W would be fine... 0W is recommended by Honda as a 'European' requirement, and many regions of Europe are properly cold. The 30 or 40 viscosity is up to you, 30 will give better economy, but 40 is better lubricating.

sometimes these are ex company cars, so the service history is kept with the company and when the car is released for resale its usually a print out you get.

If that's the case your very likely that the car has been serviced at the main dealers. so I'm very sure if you rang the Honda dealer and asked them if you can check the service history they would be happy to do so..

Diesel engine black oil go together even before you start it after an oil change. No worries there. I am afraid that no one can tell you what to do it's your cash and your decision, be guided by the condition, i.e seats, carpets, pedal rubbers, all indicators of hard use, under the bonnet oil leaks and or dirty,. brakes and tyres are expendable, if allowed to drive before buying give it the beans when warm. and watch the sellers face as the revs and speed increase if he looks nervous then walk away. LOL

Why... what exactly makes this any more important on a diesel?

No one has said this car hasn't been serviced, just that there's no documented history. Why should a buyer attach so much importance to something which could so easily be fraudulently generated? I'm sure that happens a lot!

Yes Eric, we understand you have no faith in the iCDTI, but come on man...

Jon_G said:
Why... what exactly makes this any more important on a diesel?

No one has said this car hasn't been serviced, just that there's no documented history. Why should a buyer attach so much importance to something which could so easily be fraudulently generated? I'm sure that happens a lot!
Even if you have a service record, the techie could have been out of time so just ticked the boxes, as Jon says just a sheet of paper.

Thanks for your input guys.

Diesel engine black oil go together even before you start it after an oil change. No worries there. I am afraid that no one can tell you what to do it's your cash and your decision, be guided by the condition, i.e seats, carpets, pedal rubbers, all indicators of hard use, under the bonnet oil leaks and or dirty,. brakes and tyres are expendable, if allowed to drive before buying give it the beans when warm. and watch the sellers face as the revs and speed increase if he looks nervous then walk away. LOL
The car, inside and outside looks sensational. We did go for a drive and the owner was behind the wheel and he did give it the beans lol, sort of a proof that nothing is wrong with it.

I'm going to leave this as my backup car for now. In the meantime another dealer is importing a 2007 ICTDI Accord for me which on the photos looks stunning and has full service history. He is also offering 1 year guarantee on parts and labour and he is a well known and trusted dealer. It will cost me €10,000. The other one without the history is €9000 and has beautiful 18" alloys. I don't know what to do really. I just have to look at them both, drive them and then decide.

Diesel accords are plagued with issues, just check the forum ffs.

buying one even with a history can be iffy let alone one without

but whatever floats your boat

I know what you mean. But then again I know people who own diesel Accords who rarely service them and still drive on happily without problems.

87013 said:
I know what you mean. But then again I know people who own diesel Accords who rarely service them and still drive on happily without problems.
Dude, I've had my Accord for over 6 years, its a diesel and very little has gone wrong with it. Its swings and roundabouts with cars.

What people don't understand that no matter what the diesel equivalent will always be worth a 1/4 more than the petrol version so it all balances out.

Have the car checked out, that's a good thing to do. See what your mechanic friend thinks

toffee_pie said:

dont buy one without a sh, it will lead to heart ache most likely.

why on earth would an exec have no sh..

walk away
my accords got 256k on it not seen a dealer for over 100k had trouble with it but was a taxi and every car ive had as a taxi needed something doing the i-ctdi has been far the best taxi have had on repairs. The car probably runs better now than it ever did.
I retired it last june for the family car and put i-dtec on. To me service history is a load of crock.