What's new

Car won't start help!

fsabrun

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 cdti exec
Hi
Have a 2004 cdti accord that refuses to start. Last few weeks intermittently it's been going into limp mode, coil light flashing & not allowing car to go over 2000 revs.
Normally shut off engine & start again it's fine.
Seemed to go into limp mode when I put foot down hard but if smoothly accelerate it was fine.
Fuel filter is original n only changed about 6-9 months ago.

Now car refuses to start at all.
Any advice much appreciated.

What diagnostic codes are you getting? Have you run any fuel and injector tests?

Hi
Had a diag done just now.
Just a P1065 low fuel pressure code.
Is it worth changing fuel filter again?

The filter will be fine, sounds more like an air lock.
Bleed it a few times

Ok I'll get the my friend to try that.
If that doesn't work... I'm quite a newbie so don't know how to test the injectors.
Is there a guide on how to check these please?

It could also be the fuel filter has water in it. They have a drain plug underneath them but a pain to get to.

Try bleeding and see what happens. Bleeding is done at fuel filter and there is a priming bulb there

They have a fuel emergency cut off somewhere, that might have been activated

I can't recall where it is on these cars

Maybe somebody else knows

By the way I'm ***uming your friend is a mechanic and knows what he is doing and has done obvious things like checking for fuel supply at and after the filter and then at the rail

Yes he is :)
He's checked the obvious... He was thinking it might be worth changing the fuel rail??
If he doesn't have much joy, i think i'm going to have to take it to Honda.

I had similar last year.

squeeze the priming bulb till it goes hard. Then get someone to turn over the engine whilst you are squeezing the priming bulb as fast as you can. You will need to squeeze the bulb as fast as you can because it will go soft as soon as you start turning the engine over.

If there is fuel being presented at the rail then the issue is either with an injector or the pressure relief valve on the side of the rail

The rail itaelf is just a cast manifold, it has no real moving parts that will fail

Thanks Fahad.
I'm hoping it's the pressure relief valve, so buying a rail (from ebay) with this attached was the next option, as its definitely cheaper then swapping the injectors.

Unless you can think of anything else?

Searching on google suggests the fuel emergency cut off is on the ECU for these cars.
Only way to reset is to disconnect the battery overnight.

Hi Dave

No remap or tuning box.
I'd already ordered the second hand rail with the pressure relief valve ( ebay for £50), getting it today.
I suppose we can remove the pressure relief valve from the rail & then just change that, instead of changing the whole rail?

Looks like a sensor on the other end of the rail. What's that for?

On the drivers side hand of the rail there is a valve with the 17mm bolt that's the PRV

So we changed over the fuel rail yesterday and nothing.
The old fuel rail was full of fuel.
He then suspected fuel pump, whilst fuel pump was disconnected car started.
Reconnected fuel pump & tried switching off & on several times absolutely fine.
Drove around yesterday & really hammered it & no problems at all, no limp mode, as before.
Tried starting car again this morning and won't start again :(

Leaking injector I think now, as long as your second hand pressure relief valve isn't also faulty

When I said it didn't start this morning, not completely accurate sorry.
It started once & then spluttered and died.
Then wouldn't start at all.

How can we test the injectors?
Is there a guide on here?

Thanks

Hi Fahad
So here's the update... We were going to do injector leak test but my friend won't have time till the weekend and I'm starting to get desperate...
So I've had the car towed to a local garage that I've heard good reviews about.
They've ran diagnostics & no codes are showing (maybe because the OBD wiped th low fuel pressure code) but they say the parts of the system relating to ignition do not show any voltage. So they are thinking it's a crank poistion sensor.

Any ideas on this? Should I still tell them to test the injectors?
They've had it since Monday. They are going to run some further tests today.

Impossible to say like this I'm afraid. A failing or failed crank position sensor will give you a dtc so if you've never seen one, I doubt it is that.

The common issues on these cars are where I would start first eliminate and that is fuel filter, fuel pressure relief valve, leaking injector and EGR valve stuck

HI

So the garage that I took it to can't find the problem & no codes are being reported.
They did initilly think CPS but as there are no codes they don't believe it's that.
Car still won't start. I'm going to have to have it towed to Honda.

Nearest is Listers Honda in Coventry.
Has anyone used them before?
Is there a discount offered for members of this forum?

You're not going to believe this... I asked the garage to change the fuel filter as I'd already bought one, just in case before I booked the car in with Honda.
They kept telling me it won't be the filter. but I said can you just change it anyway.
Changed filter... Car starts first time!! :)
Result!!

Yes you did! I did try telling them to start there but they kept ruling it out!
Thanks for all your help Fahad :)

Find a new mechanic honestly