Peterbfd

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen GT
Hi All,

As mentioned in others threads, I have the following problems ;

1 - Airbag light on

2 - Squeaking brakes (new pads front & back) - Passenger rear also now binding making the disc super hot and it stinks

3 - Premium Sat Nav audio - 4 speakers not working (out of 10 I believe)

Fingers crossed it does not cost me a fortune !.

I will update you all with the cause of the problems once sorted so it may give other people an answer if it happens to them.

Car going in on Tuesday.

I hope it's not going to honda for these repairs, they're all diy diagnosable and probably fixable

No, I have given Honda a miss on this occasion to hopefully save some money

Going to MCC on Manchester road as I usually get a good service from them (and they are quite local to me)

The speakers are covered by extending warrenty from Honda.
But not sure how long

I ***ume the extended warranty is for the actual speaker themselves only ?

I think it is an electrical problem, would there be a built in amp that could have blown ?
It is the rear parcel shelfs x2 and the Sub that is also on the parcel shelf and the front center that seem to have stopped

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for while Peter, this can reset a lot of these elec issues?

Make sure you have your radio code before you do it though.

I disconnected for just a few minutes (as I was impatient) and went through the procedure for the Sat Nav to boot up and entered the key code.

Now it just gets confusing !!!!!!

The rear shelf speakers are now working but the rear doors have stopped ?????

So the ones that still don't work are :

Front Centre
Rear Doors x2
Rear parcel Sub

4 in total.

I could disconnect again and leave for some time but would it really have another outcome (does it need more to to reboot the system)

Mate you're in Bradford, i'll be down at our workshop this evening (BD7). if you want a diagnostic session we can plug it into the Honda system. I'll work you out a reasonable price. Drop me a PM, might just need a reset.

Update of my 3 issues :

1 - Airbag light on

Thanks to Fahad, it was diagnosed as "Faulty left side impact sensor"
The garage came up with the same conclusion but stated that they can change the sensor for about £75 but can not ***ure me that the light will go out as it may then identify another problem after that (he said it is a but of a mine field)

Cost - Nothing (still to replace)

2 - Squeaking brakes (new pads front & back) - Passenger rear also now binding making the disc super hot and it stinks

Took the caliper apart and said all is fine.
he however stated the handbrake cable needed adjusting and he then copper greased the pads and refitted.
Problem has gone away so far (will keep an eye on this one)

Cost - £30

3 - Premium Sat Nav audio - 4 speakers not working (out of 10 I believe)

Said he tested the outputs on the rear of the stereo and said some had no outputs.
Suggested a new stereo.
Not convinced on this one, feel they just were out of there depth due to the complicated system.
However when I drove the car home, ALL are now working !!!
I am thinking the connections in the rear of the stereo were loose ? and playing about with them has solved the issue.
so happy I have my sub working again.

All in all, 2 out of the 3 problem sorted (hopefully) for a cost of £30

Thanks again to Fahad for your help and advise

No probs mate. I'm sure the crash sensor replacement will clear the light.. I agree with your conclusion on the audio, probably a loose plug

Some of the speakers are not working again !!!!!

I will try to find out how you take the stereo out and try and solve it myself (seeing as not even a auto electiction can not sort it ) :angry:

It might be an internal problem inside the main unit (it's more than a "stereo").

These units are more like a surround-sound home entertainment system.

Surround-sound uses a DSP (digital signal processor) to control the phase/delay and volume, via DACs (digital to ****og converters) and amps, to the speakers. These are often on cards inside the system, and there could be an issue with the contacts on the cards, or on part of the DSP circuitry.

Do car stereos really employ such principles? I just always ***umed left was sent to the left hand side of the car (front and back) and right sent to right (front and back).

It would, of course, make sense to have delay compensation in principle, but it never crossed my mind it would be applied in such a small space as a car. I'm used to using that stuff in live sound, venues of medium to large capacity, not in a space barely large enough to squeeze four people. But then again, it's not exactly complicated, so it would figure.

Also, before tinkering with the head unit (which could be a real can of worms) I'd double check all connections and look for pinching of cabling or anything around the flex cable channels in the doorways. Faulty connections are a lot simpler to repair than opening up head units.

I will have a thorough look around before I even start with the head unit as I am thinking it must be a connection.
I am ***uming if the head unit was to blame it would either work or not work, not decided it is OK for a while just to then stop working.

I had a very good online manual for all generations of the Accord but lost it.
I ***umed everyone had it on here but I can not find any link or mention of it.

I have however found it again thankfully which should help me out.

Just for reference the below is what I use for any issues which others may find useful :

http://www.haccord.org/eighth_generation_2008_2012_-8.html

PS - the unit I may need (i.e. 6 CD changer Sat Nav version) is £139.99 second hand, which is less than I though

Stevearcade said:
Do car stereos really employ such principles? I just always ***umed left was sent to the left hand side of the car (front and back) and right sent to right (front and back).

It would, of course, make sense to have delay compensation in principle, but it never crossed my mind it would be applied in such a small space as a car. I'm used to using that stuff in live sound, venues of medium to large capacity, not in a space barely large enough to squeeze four people. But then again, it's not exactly complicated, so it would figure.
Obviously "car stereos" don't employ such principles, but the system on the 7th gen is a lot more than a stereo.

It will definitely have a DSP in it, and as there are multiple speakers it will also have multiple amps, and there's a thread recently that said that the power outputs are controlled/limited to prevent damage to the speakers. All of that "intelligence" implies multiple outputs from the DSP ...and why not, it isn't a lot to ask for a system like that (and don't forget, Honda don't make the sound system)

although they don't say so, this Denon does precisely what I say
http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-11998-den-avrx2100-blk.aspx?gclid=CPn5qsyXycMCFSgcwwod0p4AzA

I've got an older model which I picked up at a car boot sale for £20 because the seller said that only the front outputs were working, but I took a close look and through the grill I could see a bit of water damage near the card slots (obviously some missus had kept house plants on it, like they do). I got it home, took it apart, cleaned the contacts and it all worked. I've seen the same model going on ebay for ~£100. I also found the complete service manual online for $5 and it describes the way it works.

Basically, these days if you want front and back and centre speakers, the unit you buy has a DSP and multiple DACs/amps.

budget one here
http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Auna-AMP-5100-5-1-Surround-Sound-Receiver-1200W-Amplifier_i3436.htm?gclid=CKnti7CXycMCFc_LtAodW08Aog

I agree...

There is a heck of alot of connections - 81 in total, 7 harnesses that plug into the back.
22 of these are Amp related.

Weekend job I think as you have to remove many parts of the interior just to get to the system.

it seems strange that different combinations of speakers are being affected ....IMO that sounds like the connections at the back of the main unit, or internal to the unit itself ....and I reckon that if they keep coming on and going off, it's more likely to be internal

Right, after seeing 2 auto electricians and both scratching their heads and not fixing my audio problem, I have a looked myself.....

I have in the past upgraded the front and rear door speakers.
As the rear door speaker were part of the speakers not working, I removed them.
Hey presto, all the others speaker work.

So when upgrading the speakers for the premium audio system, not all that are advertised work (even though they confirm that they will)
I am ***uming they may be too much for the system ?

I have reconnected one of them and all speakers still work but if it fails again I will remove it.
I am now after some standard speakers to fit in their place, the original ones I had blown.

Right onto the next problem of airbag sensor !!!!

I did say this when we met, the different ratings could be affecting the channel outputs and perhaps some sort of protection circuitry is preventing them from working. Could be total bollox of course lol

You did, Just glad I have got the Front Center and Sub working again as it is a quality sounding system.
Without these, it sounds pants.

disagree on the premium system in the 8th gen.

my 7th gen was far superior so im guessing they changed either the head unit or speakers or both

of course with decent speakers and setup properly its a different beast.

just my opinion

I like the fact you don't have to splice speaker wires to install a Sub as the 8th Gen comes as standard with 10 speakers (4 of them I have upgraded)

On a separate note, I have requested a price for replacement speakers from HH and they cost £155 a pair just for standard ones !

Hi All,

An update regarding the Airbag light.

Fahad diagnosed it to be a possible Front Impact Sensor at fault (Thanks again Fahad)

Took it to MCC (Bfd) - They too diagnosed the same fault and stated they could change the Sensor but they would not ***ure me that the problem would be solved
They basically didn't want to touch it

Took it Halfords (Bfd) - They too diagnosed the same fault and stated the Sensor was OK and it is a wiring fault but they could not touch it as they are not qualified to do so.

Took it to Auto Diagnostics (Bfd) - They too diagnosed the same fault and also stated that it has a wiring problem but they stated that they could fix it.
Cost me £30 for the diagnostic charge and will fix it for £140.

So all in all it has been diagnosed 4 times and it may be fixed soon (hopefully as the MOT is due next month)
So after about 7 months is will cost me a total of £170.

Next problem I have to sort is the rear calipers as both sides have now started to stick (not always, now and again)
It will most likely pass the MOT but the price for both calipers, Discs and Pads will cost me around £450+

Total now = £620 and that is without the cost of my MOT, service and Coolant and Brake Fluid change which will cost me about £275

Grand Total = £895

Try this place, much cheaper for calipers.

www.brakeparts.co.uk

Peter I had my drivers side rear caliper changed a few months back and no problems what so ever now.
I brought it from Eurocarparts for £68 and its was a refurb 7th gen caliper and was a perfect fit.

Brake Parts are - £226.04 (x2)
Europarts - £272.40 (x2)

Interesting that 7th Gen fits, on the site these are £206.40
May be worth a call to see if they sort me out some for £68ish

The binding has not occurred for about 2 months now on the rear left (although the pad is 50% lower than the drivers side).
But the drivers side started doing the same thing when the wife was driving it the other week (but has not done it since).

Although I am skint at the mo (due to just coming back from a family holiday), I would just feel better have new on both sides.