What's new

Castrol Oil - Which One?

iar1980

Members
Reaction score
Car
56 Accord i-CTDi Ex
Hi Guys

Wanted to double check which of the below 2 oils should be used or recommended to be used?

Castrol Edge Professional Oil 0w-30

OR

Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow Oil 0w-30

and if someone could tell me if they know what is the difference between the two?

Thanks in advance for your guidance in this matter!

Why not get the stuff from lubetech?

Just as good and cheaper.

Thanks for advice Dan

If possible post a link to the one i should be looking at

Sorry bit of an amateur on this!

This is the stuff we purchased from LubeTech for our 7th gen i-ctdi.

http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_27&products_id=44

If you do decide to buy this oil ask admin for a discount code before placing your order on the LubeTech website, Type Accord members get a discount.

Thanks for the advice Michelle

I also noticed that the address for Exol lubricants Ltd is All Saints Road, Wednesbury WS10 9TS

and guess what it is exactly a 5 mins walk from my house - unbelievable!

I might also give Exol a ring first before contacting Lubetech to see if they may give me a potentially better deal!

Thanks for the advice Michelle

I also noticed that the address for Exol lubricants Ltd is All Saints Road, Wednesbury WS10 9TS

and guess what it is exactly a 5 mins walk from my house - unbelievable!

I might also give Exol a ring first before contacting Lubetech to see if they may give me a potentially better deal!

If not let me no and ill give you the discount code ;)

Thanks Brett! :D

It's good stuff that oil, our engine seems to run much quieter with it.

Just for info I was still wondering if somebody can tell me the difference between the below 2 oils as posed in my original question?

OR

:D

Just for info I was still wondering if somebody can tell me the difference between the below 2 oils as posed in my original question?

OR

I don't know the difference, have to tried searching the net? I would suspect one of the oils might be for vehicles with DPF but I don't know which one.

Thanks for the advice Michelle!

The only bit of info I could pull of the net was that it was re-branded from SLX to Edge, so it looks like it is the same stuff after all!!!

I would go for the oil from Lubetech. That stuff is pretty good.

Found out today that Exol don't sell to the general public only trade! :huh:

LubeTech it shall have to be! :)

Found out today that Exol don't sell to the general public only trade! :huh:

LubeTech it shall have to be! :)
Castrol edge has replaced the old one
We are here to help with any members requirment just get in touch, by the way we are official trading partners with Exol and we will give members the best deals possible on fluids
Cheers
Tony

Thanks for the response Tony! :D

Castrol edge has replaced the old one
We are here to help with any members requirment just get in touch, by the way we are official trading partners with Exol and we will give members the best deals possible on fluids
Cheers
Tony

Ordered 25L of Fully Synthetic 0-30w from Lubetech online at 7pm on Tuesday and arrived 2:30pm Today - Excellent Service :D

Great choice, you won't regret it, you've just got to do the oil change now :) We plan to change our oil every six thousand miles or so.

For these or any other oils, the data sheets will be readily available on the Internet from the manufacturer's website. These will accurately indicate the differences, although they aren't always easy to interpret.

Is it sold in smaller quantities than 25L?

Don't Know! You might be better off e-mailing Tony from Lubetech for guidance.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/user/678-bone27/

Is it sold in smaller quantities than 25L?

I know it was, but it was 5 litres and you need around 6 for an oil change.

The drum is surprisingly small for the quantity it holds i.e it is not a massive barrel or anything

I ended up getting 2 x 4l tubs from opie because I don't want a 25l drum lying around for the next 2 years! Would be good if they do smaller ones.

Like Carl said, the 25L drum is very compact - it takes the same floor space as two 5L containers side by side.

Not so much the size, if I'm doing 10k a year ill be doing 1 oil change a year myself so will have the drum for 4 years!! Would rather buy 2 small ones each time.

Even at 10k a year, you're better off doing an oil change every 6 months and/or 6k on this engine (from experience). I couldn't possibly let mine go 12 months without an oil change - she's had 3 so far this year already.

Even at 10k a year, you're better off doing an oil change every 6 months and/or 6k on this engine (from experience). I couldn't possibly let mine go 12 months without an oil change - she's had 3 so far this year already.
I will, but at the correct times/mileages it'll be going into Honda, so me personally will only be doing 1 a year. Sorry I've completely ruined this thread now with my confusing ramblings! :D So is there a smaller tub of 4l or 5l available?

I will, but at the correct times/mileages it'll be going into Honda, so me personally will only be doing 1 a year. Sorry I've completely ruined this thread now with my confusing ramblings! :D So is there a smaller tub of 4l or 5l available?

just been on the website and ebay site and looks like it is only the 25l now.

I would suspect many people would simply go for the 25L, but can understand why you don't want a drum of oil sitting around for a long time.

Some grades are but the 0W 30 isn't. A decent oil jug will see you right though. ;)