What's new

Cheap way to slam your 6Gen Accord (Eibach+some oem honda stuff)

dzizajdm

Members
Reaction score
Car
''00 Accord ES
Good evening. Let me tell you a little story about the time, i accidentally found a cheap way to slam my Accord, keeping acceptable level of comfort.

So first thing's first - I've bought a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs for my car. It lowered my car nicely, and while i was rolling on stock 15'' wheels - everything was good and simple. But the day, i put my long awaited Buddyclub P1 17''s i understood, that the two finger wheel gap just won't cut it.

Since it's my daily, and I've already have a unstoppable money consumer - my EK VTi Civic, i wanted to keep the budged intact. So i started digging in the deep waters of internet and found out, that 5Gen Prelude (HP5) front struts look like just the thing i need - everything looks very similar to Accord strut, but the lower spring perch is about 3cm lower. Perfect! Found some used HP5 struts, took out Accord strut and this is what i saw: (Prelude on the left, Accord on the right)

2eD5QGC.jpg

Put my Eibach spring and Accord strut top-hat and voila - everything came together in full bolt-on fashion.

Ok, so what to do with the rear suspension?

Since i had a set of 1Gen CR-V strut's i decided to check my luck - took out the rear Accord strut and put them next to each other:

i09IvZs.jpg

Although the lower spring perch looks different, the Accord Eibach spring sits in it perfectly. So once again - the same story - CR-V strut, Eibach spring and Accord top-hat. The only modification, that i had to do, was to add couple of washers in between lower strut bushing and the mounting point, because the Accord bushing is wider by 6mm. Everything else came together perfectly.

So, how does the car look after all this nonsense?

13043632_1056134231112229_2778313978533044336_n.jpg

Sorry for ****ty angle of photo - i'll try to do better ones.

How does the suspension cope with the roads - it could be a little stiffer in the front - so some aftermarket or revalved HP5 struts would be perfect. Didn't feel any problems with the back suspension. All in all - quite a comfortable and dirt cheap way to lower you Accord :)

P.s. Yes, that's snow in the picture. Lithuanian weather - go figure.

P.p.s. Yes, all parts looks rusty as hell. That's what you get, when it snows - salt on roads :D

P.p.p.s Sorry for my English, not my native language...

Ooooh, I wonder if there's a comparable thing with CL7/CL9. I have apex springs, and I guess if there's a compatible shock from a different Honda that's a little short us 7th gen guys could live the low life too...

Good work there an dinteretsing fine. My only concern would be mix and matching so many different parts that wasn't really designed for the car. It would effect the handling and stability of the car under certain conditions.

exec said:
Good work there an dinteretsing fine. My only concern would be mix and matching so many different parts that wasn't really designed for the car. It would effect the handling and stability of the car under certain conditions.
Well, when you think about it - a strut is a strut (ant it is the only thing, that is changed here). All the mounting points are exactly the same, so the main difference is the overall length. Since the front's came out of Prelude, that had H22, it must be valved pretty similarly, and i would be very surprised, if the back of CR-V has any notable weight difference compared to Accord, so it's all quite similar.

Although if i crash and die - i'll let you know :D

dzizajdm said:
Well, when you think about it - a strut is a strut (ant it is the only thing, that is changed here). All the mounting points are exactly the same, so the main difference is the overall length. Since the front's came out of Prelude, that had H22, it must be valved pretty similarly, and i would be very surprised, if the back of CR-V has any notable weight difference compared to Accord, so it's all quite similar.

Although if i crash and die - i'll let you know :D
The dampers will have different damping specs, the length and travel will all have been designed to work to certain standards and specs of each car, so mishmashing would put them out of 'sync' to put it in simple terms. I'm sure you will be fine, probably doesn't matter much if all your going for is looks, as those really low suspensions people put to slam aint exactly safe anyway, but if I was after performance would spend a bit more money and get a proper setup.

exec said:
The dampers will have different damping specs, the length and travel will all have been designed to work to certain standards and specs of each car, so mishmashing would put them out of 'sync' to put it in simple terms. I'm sure you will be fine, probably doesn't matter much if all your going for is looks, as those really low suspensions people put to slam aint exactly safe anyway, but if I was after performance would spend a bit more money and get a proper setup.
No arguing here - that's why my EK has a set of Buddyclub coilovers :) this was more of experiment for me, just to see what will work :)

dzizajdm said:
Good evening. Let me tell you a little story about the time, i accidentally found a cheap way to slam my Accord, keeping acceptable level of comfort.
So first thing's first - I've bought a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs for my car. It lowered my car nicely, and while i was rolling on stock 15'' wheels - everything was good and simple. But the day, i put my long awaited Buddyclub P1 17''s i understood, that the two finger wheel gap just won't cut it.
Since it's my daily, and I've already have a unstoppable money consumer - my EK VTi Civic, i wanted to keep the budged intact. So i started digging in the deep waters of internet and found out, that 5Gen Prelude (HP5) front struts look like just the thing i need - everything looks very similar to Accord strut, but the lower spring perch is about 3cm lower. Perfect! Found some used HP5 struts, took out Accord strut and this is what i saw: (Prelude on the left, Accord on the right)

2eD5QGC.jpg

Put my Eibach spring and Accord strut top-hat and voila - everything came together in full bolt-on fashion.
Ok, so what to do with the rear suspension?
Since i had a set of 1Gen CR-V strut's i decided to check my luck - took out the rear Accord strut and put them next to each other:
i09IvZs.jpg

Although the lower spring perch looks different, the Accord Eibach spring sits in it perfectly. So once again - the same story - CR-V strut, Eibach spring and Accord top-hat. The only modification, that i had to do, was to add couple of washers in between lower strut bushing and the mounting point, because the Accord bushing is wider by 6mm. Everything else came together perfectly.
So, how does the car look after all this nonsense?
13043632_1056134231112229_2778313978533044336_n.jpg

Sorry for s****ty angle of photo - i'll try to do better ones.
How does the suspension cope with the roads - it could be a little stiffer in the front - so some aftermarket or revalved HP5 struts would be perfect. Didn't feel any problems with the back suspension. All in all - quite a comfortable and dirt cheap way to lower you Accord :)
P.s. Yes, that's snow in the picture. Lithuanian weather - go figure.
P.p.s. Yes, all parts looks rusty as hell. That's what you get, when it snows - salt on roads :D
P.p.p.s Sorry for my English, not my native language...

Wow impresive ! Good job Great info here !

Im considering doing this !

* How does the ride quality feel compared to stock height ?

* about how many inches did the car lower ?

* do you mind posting pictures or sending me some ?

Thanks for the info !

Sorry for a late reply.

Quality of the ride is still superb, although you must keep in mind, that there's still allot of suspension travel, so there's a possibility of bottoming out the suspension on big potholes. But after half of year driving it - no problems appeared.

Compared to standart suspension it is lowered something close to 60mm.

rxan6WY.jpg

wJNIOdH.jpg

z7bng3S.jpg