Clutch replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

roberth

Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer CDTi
Hi

So my '55 CDTi is slipping under boost, and having read around this forum I've booked it into the local Honda dealers for the fixed price Honda clutch replacement.

They wern't that willing to do it for the fixed price, and originally quoted £970 said it was supposed to be getting changed on the Honda website etc. I stood firm and they have agreed to do it for the fixed proce.

I would love to take the car elsewhere - my trust in them isn't that great but they are the nearest by some margin and a trip to stoke is about 4 hours each way.

So - how do I avoid the scenario where they take it to bits and tell me the DMF has failed? I've no probaving it done if required, but I don't want to get stitched.....

Cheers

Ask to check the play in the DMF personally - 35mm if I am not mistaken.

Hi

So my '55 CDTi is slipping under boost, and having read around this forum I've booked it into the local Honda dealers for the fixed price Honda clutch replacement.

They wern't that willing to do it for the fixed price, and originally quoted £970 said it was supposed to be getting changed on the Honda website etc. I stood firm and they have agreed to do it for the fixed proce.

I would love to take the car elsewhere - my trust in them isn't that great but they are the nearest by some margin and a trip to stoke is about 4 hours each way.

So - how do I avoid the scenario where they take it to bits and tell me the DMF has failed? I've no probaving it done if required, but I don't want to get stitched.....

Cheers
If you don't trust them Robert don't let them do it.
Its got to be HH all the way mate that way your guaranteed not to be ripped off.What's worse a 4 hour trip each way or an extra £1000 for a DMF the choice is yours.

Otherwise, seem as you even considered Stoke, maybe see if you can make a weekend of it, at least you should get the peace of mind that HH are not going to stuff you over.

Like you say it doesn't fill you with confidence when the dealer is hesitant to do it for the fixed Honda Happiness price.

See if you can get a loan car for the day whilst the clutch is being done

Brett and I have the same thoughts I see :lol:

Otherwise, seem as you even considered Stoke, maybe see if you can make a weekend of it, at least you should get the peace of mind that HH are not going to stuff you over.

Like you say it doesn't fill you with confidence when the dealer is hesitant to do it for the fixed Honda Happiness price.

See if you can get a loan car for the day whilst the clutch is being done

Brett and I have the same thoughts I see :lol:
Great minds think alike Carl ;)

if a flywheel needs replacing it doesnt matter if ts at HH or your local dealer. you wont get fleesed at HH but you will equaly be told if the fllywheel is out of spec. we replaced a dmf on a civic today as it had lost its grease and had excessive latteral play. its just the way cars are going nowadays, they aint the most clever of desighns thats for sure.

Thanks for all the replys guys, and apologies for the truly appalling typing in my post, shocking, but I was in a hurry.

Seroiusly I'm just too busy to get to Stoke and back, much as I'd prefer to go with a recommendation.

As I say, I'm happy to have the work done if it's needed. I'm going ot go with the local dealer and inspect the car if they suggest a DMF replacement. They have been ok with me in the past, and I'm prepared to give them a chance to do a good job, with some caution

Can anyone point me to simple way to tell if the DMF is shot?

Cheers for the advice so far.

dmf's in themselves wont cause clutch slip. a sysmptom of a failing or failed dmf is vibration or missfires from the engine.

Diesel missing & misfires ..lol why they are the most efficient engines cough and splutter does have it advantages ooh sorry disadvantages.
:ph34r:

I think there's another dealer down south that some of our members have had good experience with, but I can't think which one... I think it was an ex flagship dealership or something.

How can they refuse to do it at the Honda Happiness price anyway?

Tried to tell me it didn't cover diesels...pointed out that that's not what the Honda website said and that I'd got another dealer to quote me for it. Got a call back and an apology from the service manager. He did moan on that it ws costing them money etc....my heart bleeds.

What about Chiswick Honda - not that far from Surrey?

Chiswick's has got a good reputation, it is the flagship dealer.
Depending where you are in Surrey, it's not that far.
I wouldn't trust a dealer giving you agro on price.

Yep I think Chiswick is the one I was thinking of.

To be honest at less thatn £600 it's not leaving them with much profit... but they're not making a loss either. If they're efficient then they should be able to do this within 7 hours and that still leaves them wtith circa £400 labour which ain't bad for a days work and only one ramp and one technician tied up. Problem is they're so greedy they're not used to making only treble what an average garage would be happy with.

Had my clutch fitted at Honda South Ruislip at Xmas, they immediately quoted the £585 price and offered a courtesy car.
Service Manager represented by claim to Honda UK and they paid for the clutch and DMF as he felt it had failed prematurely

M25 to Junction M40 then 3 junctions to South Ruislip.
On a clear road 30 minutes from M25 Junction 10, so its not to far from Surrey

Had my clutch fitted at Honda South Ruislip at Xmas, they immediately quoted the £585 price and offered a courtesy car.
Service Manager represented by claim to Honda UK and they paid for the clutch and DMF as he felt it had failed prematurely

M25 to Junction M40 then 3 junctions to South Ruislip.
On a clear road 30 minutes from M25 Junction 10, so its not to far from Surrey

What's premature for an Accord 2.2CDTi? I've had a Renault Laguna (1.9dCi) in the past, and regular as clockwork the clutch started to slip at 33k; fairplay to Renault though (SJ Cooks, Bristol) they changed it and the flywheel twice under warranty, each time indicating the reason for the slipping as flywheel failure.

I did mine at Yeomans Honda Guildford, very pleased with the results and attitude. If you are near Guildford, I would recommend them.

Hello

Brand new to this board, hope no-one will mind me butting in on this conversation.

As a non-mechanically minded soul, could someone please explain to me what the DMF does, and how it relates to the clutch wear? My clutch has just started to slip under heavy load in high gears (73k mile on a '56 plates). My intention would be to continue driving it until it gets noticeably worse, as another £600 on top of the service and front brakes it is just due will be a bit of a stretch.

My understanding is that a faulty DMF makes the clutch wear prematurely, is that right? Am I likely to damage the DMF by continuing to drive the car with a slipping clutch? When I do get the clutch replaced, what would happen if they recommend a new DMF and I choose not to have it - will it just wear the replacement clutch out faster, or does it have other, more catastrophic consequences?

£600 for a new clutch is one thing, £1000 for a DMF is another. I'd be tempted just to stick a new clutch in and p/x the thing at that point, I think...

Any advice much appreciated!

Joe

Hello

Brand new to this board, hope no-one will mind me butting in on this conversation.

As a non-mechanically minded soul, could someone please explain to me what the DMF does, and how it relates to the clutch wear? My clutch has just started to slip under heavy load in high gears (73k mile on a '56 plates). My intention would be to continue driving it until it gets noticeably worse, as another £600 on top of the service and front brakes it is just due will be a bit of a stretch.

My understanding is that a faulty DMF makes the clutch wear prematurely, is that right? Am I likely to damage the DMF by continuing to drive the car with a slipping clutch? When I do get the clutch replaced, what would happen if they recommend a new DMF and I choose not to have it - will it just wear the replacement clutch out faster, or does it have other, more catastrophic consequences?

£600 for a new clutch is one thing, £1000 for a DMF is another. I'd be tempted just to stick a new clutch in and p/x the thing at that point, I think...

Any advice much appreciated!

Joe

Welcome to TA Joe.Personally i would get your clutch change now because its not going to get any better.As for the DMF its unlikely that it will need changing only if your very unlucky.Do a search in diesel faults there is lots of info on this.

Hi Brett, thanks for the response

I realise it makes sense to get the clutch sorted asap but I'm just considering the possibility of being one of the unlucky few - if they take the clutch off and decide I do need a DMf, I'm going to struggle to fund it...

Is the DMF a separate issue, or does a slipping clutch damage/wear the DMF?

Delaying the clutch might do more harm to the dmf.

Joe, delaying it may start to damage the DMF face from the friction heat.. but seriously DMF failures in the Accord are damn rare and if the dealer says you need one, challenge them and ask them to show you the freeplay with clear measurements. Don't agree to it until you've asked for advice here - someone is always online to answer quickly. This is ***uming that the worst happens anyway.

Also DMF's are not £1000 anymore, far less in fact after Honda recently discounted them as they have a massive surplus (explains why some dealers are so eager to sell them to innocent customers).

Hi Brett, thanks for the response

I realise it makes sense to get the clutch sorted asap but I'm just considering the possibility of being one of the unlucky few - if they take the clutch off and decide I do need a DMf, I'm going to struggle to fund it...

Is the DMF a separate issue, or does a slipping clutch damage/wear the DMF?

Joe as the guys have said, it is better to get the clutch done as soon as you notice it.

I know what your saying with "just your luck etc" and of course you have got to put a lot of trust into the dealer. Go off your gut instinct on your local dealer, if you feel they are really helpful and point out things, but don't push them on you, you should be fine. As Fahad says if they say the DMF is gone simply ask them to show you the freeplay ( there is a more detailed thread on here somewhere on this subject), that way you saying to them you know what you are talking about and don't try it on.

As Adam (Beefy_634) has mentioned earlier in the thread, he gave the sort of symptoms that you would likely also get if the DMF was going. If you have no other issues with the car, it is more than likely just the clutch. Certainly if that is the first clutch, the car has done well, mine was done at 22k on a 56 plate (under warranty and the DMF was apparently replaced, but the now defunct dealership did not give any paperwork).

The other way to look at it, either way you are going to put a clutch in it and px it, but then again would you px it for, it could be someone else's car who has had a similar issue and got rid of it in the same manner, plus when buying another car your paying for the dealers profit in both lower P/x and screen price, which could be more than the cost of the repair to a car that would otherwise be fine. The DMF issues effect many cars, it isn't a specific fault with the Accord, but more a general fault with more complex engineering.

As for affording it maybe have a little grumble how it is bad timing, your short of funds and have just enough to get the clutch done etc.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. Looks like a fairly unanimous call then, I'll get the clutch done with the service and keep fingers crossed.

I take it even if it's the pressure plate that's at fault HUK aren't likely to accept it's a manufacturing error and contribute?

Guys,

I'm quite worried, I've had my Accord for only a few months and it's been fine in that time but I constantly read about clutches needing changing and the DMF aswell. I don't really want a massive bill on the car this year if I can help it. Are there any preventative measures I can take?

take a bus? sorry, just kidding.

just becareful how you engage and disengage the clutch.

Guys,

I'm quite worried, I've had my Accord for only a few months and it's been fine in that time but I constantly read about clutches needing changing and the DMF aswell. I don't really want a massive bill on the car this year if I can help it. Are there any preventative measures I can take?

Don't worry Nick, it's only diesels because of the huge amount of torque. The petrol engines are safe as they don't have enough grunt to over-stress the clutch... ;)

Being a smoking diesel boy im still with CJ on this the VTECH is probably one of the best petrol engines in the world.Also if the MPG was like the diesel you no what i would have ZOOM ZOOM :lol:

How do you figure than one out then???which engine has more power of the two..? forget about the tractor pulling capabilities for a second.

If Honda reputation was built on diesel technology it would have gone out of business a long time ago.

Well, it is the tractor pulling capabilities that stress the clutch, not the power that you get at 6k rpm... and as for reputation, Honda has made one of the best diesel engines from the first try, they are excused to have some minor glitches as a miscalculated clutch...

Go Krasimir Go :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.