What's new

Clutch Slip Record

Shadow

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-ctdi
Reference to the infamous 7th gen clutch slip: When the clutch in my diesel first began to slip around 3 years ago with 97K miles on the clock I got quotes for a replacement and expected immanent failure but today It's still going strong. It slips only a few times per year, usually during moderate acceleration on flat A roads. I've never been able to to make the clutch slip e.g. driving flat out, uphill in third towing a full trailer.

My current mileage is just over 137K so can anyone beat 40,000 miles of clutch slip?

I've had a very similar experience... noticed it slipping while commuting along the M1 several days running during early 2009. I decided to drive like an old lady for a week or so before driving normally again and it's never once slipped again. Certainly done several 10k miles since then.

I can't be sure if it was the infamous self-adjuster being a little slow to respond, or something to do with the terrible weather conditions at the time... it was sub-zero and I was driving on gritted slush every time it slipped?

At nearly 160k miles, the car still has its original clutch!

My cavaliers and vectra all did over 180k on the origional clutch, hopefully the accord will do the same. Clutch replacement, on the Accord, is one job I won't be tasking myself with.

Yes, it's a scary DIY proposition! If it ever becomes necessary, then I'll get something uprated fitted and then treat myself to a decent remap.

Our experiences aren't that unusual... there's a lot more discussions like this on the Civinfo forum (near enough the same engine / same clutch), along with suggestions about how to 'encourage' the pressure plate self-adjusters to respond. Many have successfully beaten clutch slip without needed to replace the clutch.

What a timely thread. I posted one last week about how my clutch was slipping under hard acceleration. I've taken it easy for a week and it seems absolutely fine now.

I'll keep an eye on it but hopefully it was the adjustor having an off day.

Just seen this thread, and my 150k Accord is exactly the same as described in the first post. Clutch has slipped a couple of times when accelerating fairly hard in fifth or sixth gear, and first noticed it just over 10k ago. But nothing since.

On the plus side, I drive it even more gently and the fuel economy has improved!

I've always believed strongly in cleaning the fuel and exhaust systems by trying to press my right foot through floor every now and again, prehaps the clutch is not amused and fuel injector seals for that matter.

Someone must have beat my (now) 41K record!

I appreciate this is probably a diesel DMF etc thread, but I had to replace my clutch and flywheel at about 41-42K :unsure:

Although in my defence, when I first bought the car, I think I wasn't used to the pedal positions exactly as they sat at different heights to my previous car and they were much lighter to press. I think I used to rest my foot on the clutch pedal, ever so slightly pressing it, which will have slightly opened the clutch and caused it wear even under gentle driving, I'm sure. My old Golf's clutch pedal was so heavy, I was firmly in the habit of resting my foot on it and it wasn't an issue. That habit is well and truly broken now though. Learned that lesson the expensive way...

Well 42,000 later the clutch is dead. It decided to give up towing the caravan through the Snowdonia Mountains. I've managed to get back (just), hope I havn't fried the flywheel in the process! Does anyone know a good clutch place near telford / wolverhampton?

If you can get to stoke you could use Holdcroft Honda, they did mine several years ago and its been spot on since.

Depending on how much it slipped its hard to tell on the Flywheel. A tolerance test will be needed to ensure the play is within the set amount recommended by Honda

Good advice above. I usually stay clear of main dealers due to past experience of others but HH have just fitted a clutch for a great price.