What's new

Cold starting problems (not like others )

Jan Accord

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CN1
Hi ti all members

i'm new on this forum so first of all i will introduce myself

My name is Jan, i'm 23 years old, i came from Slovenia so my engish is not perfect :unsure: and i drive an accord CN1 executive :wub:

The car is in perfect condoitions but i have a little problem...when i turn the key and the engine is starting up on my speedo it comes a info that says ''check abs system'' ...after few moments when the engine turns on the fault goes away and the car works fine but every time the car reach for the first time ( after turning up ) 20km/h i hear the abs modulator turning on for a very short time...it sound like when you hard braking, and the abs kicks in but only one kick...strange...this happens every time on cold start up and i dond know why but when engine is cold is starting up a little bit harder...slowly...the first thing i changed it was the battery because i thought that loss of power on start up can cause momentaly fault on othes sesnors...but no...it wasn't the battery...warm start up is normal with no problems

i apologize for my english...i know it sucks

any input for the problem is welcome and thanks for reading

Hi Jan 1st thing would be to see if there are any fault codes stored.
You need to get these read if any and go from there.

Now i'm waiting a friend with the tester and if wiil be there any fault code stored i will let you know...
Now i was talking with an car electrician and he told me that it could be one of the ground wires...maybe on the abs modulator???

Poslano z mojega SM-N910C z uporabo Tapatalk

So...no faulty codes detected...what next?

I think i have same sound/thing after cold start but never thought about it like it is ABS. It is like one single punch of something metal... no idea what it is but its been there from begining and never had problems because of that

The reader is licensed from DELPHI 2014 so is not one of the cheepest...Maybe i shoud try to an Honda sevice to see if there will read any faulty code...
Balllus...We are talking about the same thing but i'm pretending that is the ABS module because of the pop up message on the start up...Every thing is working normal but the "punch"...isn't normal

I have my own HDS (chinese clone) but I can confirm that the "paper-clip" method will get ABS codes, as in the video

here is the youtube video again, definitely worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5BaAa6tCM

On our facelifted it is working for 100%. Ive done this once and it showed all faults properly. And about this sound. I have no problems with abs light on start but my VSA is not working since i bought that car so maybe it is related to ABS module as you said

Ok...so few of us have the same kick/punch sound but nobody have a solution...i'm gonna try to make the end of this story for all of us...i will update any useful info...and any input is welcome as well

Today checked all the ground wires and cleaned the contacts but the problem is still there

Can anyone please tell me where is that blue conector?

So if i understand well this should be the OBD2 conector...right?

Hi guys...after long time

Today i went to the Honda dealer and they put it od diagnostics...any fault detected but the problem is stil there... My think about ground wires was wrong because last week i added another grounding kit from D1SPEC but there is no improvment in solving my problem.

Honda dealed said me that the problem could be the starter motor because of the voltage drop on the startup but do you guys think that the new starter motor worth the price just to try solve anything?

That sounds a very strange diagnosis indeed, no idea myself if they are correct or not
don't buy a new starter, get one from a breakers

If i get an starter motor from a breakers or used one from anywhere how can i diagnose that is not in the same condition like mine? Is there anyway to do some mesuraments on the starter motor which confirms the faulty?

yes there are but you will need a "DC current clamp-meter" than can read up to 400 Amps DC

you can use that to test the present starter, there are various tests, depending on the make of starter motor

Ok...so that DC current clamp-meter should be mounted around the positive cable of the starter motor to measure the amps which travel trough the cable? Where i can fint the informations about maximum amperage range for my starter motor? Sory about many questions but i don't uderstand the electronics so i don't wont to do something wrong or burn something

Those are good and relevant questions.

Unfortunately I've had another look and there is more info on the starter motors on the petrol cars (CL7, CL9) than on the diesel car (CN1).

For he CN1 there is some info on the starter current and voltage when cranking the engine - as well as a "DC current clamp-meter" you'll need a DC volt meter, but If the engine starts straight away then you're going to find it difficult to see the readings on the meters, unless the meters have a "peak hold".

The other way is to use a Honda HDS and go to the "ALL INJECTORS OFF" function on the HDS, then crank the engine.

Either way, the cranking voltage should be greater than or equal to 7.7 Volts and the current draw less than or equal to 400 Amps.

With the starter motor removed from the car, the starter current should not be more than 145 Amps and the battery volts should not drop below 11 Volts.

Ok...today i will try to measure the voltage drop on starting up and the battery voltage after about 8 hours after last engine run because i'm not sure if there is any kind of problem on the car that consumes the battery energy when the car stands... As you said the diagnosis from honda is strange because if the starter motor is faulty then why the car when is warmed up (after few kilometers of ride) and i try about an hour later start it up, is starts normaly??? My opinion is that if is any problem in the starter motor, it starts the engine slow every start up not just when is the engine cold

I'm a bit confused now, because in post #1 you mention ABS fault and then we wondered if there are any ABS fault codes but then a dealer told you that there might be a starter motor fault.

So, to clarify, is there a problem starting the engine, but only when the engine is cold ?
If so, is the engine cranking slowly when cold ?
What year is the car ?

Please take your time and read again the whole theme... Yes the engine is turnig over slower on cold startup and needs a little more time to turn on so the voltage drop can cause "problems" on some sensors ( in this case ABS )...i hope that now we are talking about the same thing

Yeah I got all that, but, in the beginning we all focused on ABS, not "the engine is turning over slower on cold startup and needs a little more time to turn on [start up]" -- this is a very different issue (which may or may not be related to he ABS fault).

What year is the car ?