What's new

Considering 150k 03 Type-S Tourer. What to look out for?

mango

Members
Reaction score
Car
B20TurboCRX &TypeS
Hello chaps,

as per the thread ***le I'm contemplating an 03 Type S tourer. Only thing is it's ~150,000 miles. But it's cheap at £2k

Older B-series Hondas I know inside out. The Accord and the K24, not so much.

So is there anything in particular I should be looking to see has been done/not done in a service history? Anything I should be listening/feeling for?

What are they like for clutches/bearings/drive shafts at that sort of mileage?

What's the K24 like at high miles?

....evil thinking here is to run it for a couple of years and then possibly break it and put the K24 in to my CRX. Rebuilt and boosted. :lol: Well I am running a boosted B20 at the moment so it's only right ;)

All thoughts and and input much appreciated. :)

They are pretty bullet proof to be honest and will be fine at that mileage if it has been looked after. Things that do go wrong are, binding rear brakes and the clutch release bearing will squeak when pulling away on older higher mileage cars. Its just the lube on the release bearing that has perished and does not effect the operation of the clutch.

That's it really. Anything else will be age related wear.

take it for a good test drive.... in addition to the above turn both wheels and have a look at the front arm bushes, they will probably be worn out and will fail on MOT.. also check for the rear tears uneven wear, if there is more wear on one rear tyre then they camber arms have not been replaced with the revised ones...

Well we drove a couple of K24's before we bought my brothers. One had just over 100k miles and drove like a dog and didn't sound that healthy. And the one we bought has 140k miles and drives and sounds as good as a 40k example (genuinely).

The difference between the two was that the one we bought had a full main dealer Honda history, right up to the last stamp and the guy had receipts for every little bit he'd ever bought. He'd also owned it 6.5 years.

Look at the inner lip of the rear wheel arches for signs of rust. Check the electric tailagate works, although not sure it was fitted to the Type S. The worn inner CV joint or shaft bearing feels like unbalanced wheels, typically above 50 mph, it won't show as clicking on full lock.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

take it for a good test drive.... in addition to the above turn both wheels and have a look at the front arm bushes, they will probably be worn out and will fail on MOT.. also check for the rear tears uneven wear, if there is more wear on one rear tyre then they camber arms have not been replaced with the revised ones...
Could you elaborate a bit more on that for me please?

He says the front upper arms were done in September last year but that "it will need a few bushes on the front though barely noticeable with the 16's on". Any ideas what he could be on about, what I should quiz him on or look for.

Re the camber arms, if they haven't been done, do you know how much they are and how much of a job are they to do yourself?

morning mango matey hows it goin? your not meant to be on here get back to the crx forum lol, id probably look at athestics too if i can put my pennith in mate...does the bolster wear on the seat reflect the mileage showing, etc theres a lot of "taxis" out there at the mo it seems, if you need a 2.2 cdti for the same money give me a shout and il no doubt catch u on crx forum (susancrx) cheers al good luck with it all :)

Its the front compliance bush that jav's on about, they're really big and sit at the front of the lower control arms. My car failed mot at 70k miles due to these so it'd be a big bargaining point if these had to be done on a car thats almost double the mileage, so its vital to check the condition of these before buying.

bit hard to tell if you dont know what you're looking at, but basically thats the lower arm compliance bush at the front of the chassis.

http://www.ht-archive.com/showthread.php?p=41084595

Its the front compliance bush that jav's on about, they're really big and sit at the front of the lower control arms. My car failed mot at 70k miles due to these so it'd be a big bargaining point if these had to be done on a car thats almost double the mileage, so its vital to check the condition of these before buying.

bit hard to tell if you dont know what you're looking at, but basically thats the lower arm compliance bush at the front of the chassis.

http://www.ht-archive.com/showthread.php?p=41084595
Cheers Blue, that helps a lot.

Hmmm. The more info and photos I prize from this guy the less I like the look of it. It's got a a dent in the tailgate, scratches on the front bumper and corner of the wing, a sketchy 'owner maintained' history for the last 40k miles, he hasn't told me how many owners, and he really doesn't seem to think he needs to make an effort to sell it to me before I contemplate going from London to Southampton to look at it.

Here are the photos he's bothered to send me, and when asked for more info on it's history this is what I get... :rolleyes:
History:
2011.07- Align
2010.10- front suspension arm's 142071 miles
2010.02- Link. comp./? stabilisator
Alot of history from new to about 110k

Me thinks it's cheap for a reason.

So I think I'm going to pass on it and maybe have a look for an 03/04 2.0 Executive.

Maybe one of these:

clicky

clicky

clicky

Any thoughts chaps?

Or anyone know of any others worth a look?

I don't really want to look at diesels as my drive to work is currently 3 miles each way, the supermarket is all of half a mile away, the golf club maybe 6miles and it'll get the odd 120 mile run up the M1 to Nottingham, so a diesel ain't gonna be much benefit.

edit.. ha! having just reached enough posts to see the for sale section I see it's up for sale on here.... clicky any thoughts on that basis?

Ok, forget that Tourer

Been looking at saloons as I don't really need the tourer, and you seem to get more for your money with the saloon.

So three have caught my eye on the Trader. Two 03, ~108k Type-S, one silver, one met grey, and an 03 2.4 Exec

So, how does the Exec handle in comparison to the S-type? I'm guessing the S just has a slightly lower, stiffer suspension? Same engine, same tune though I'm guessing?

S looks better with the lip kit and better wheels as standard, but Exec has the better interior, dvd/sat nav and better/more speakers.

Anything else to consider?

Maybe get an exec and then put the lip kit on yourself? Best of both worlds

I think the Exec is the Type S with all the toys gadgets and luxury, and obviously not with the lip kit. So in all, it's heavier which slightly affects the handling. As far as I'm aware they both have the same suspension, but I could be wrong. I think the Exec's about 60KG heavier. So the weight difference is hardly enough to noticeably affect performance, and I doubt it's worth worrying about when you consider the extra comfort and gadgets in the Exec.

I'd get the Exec and put a lip kit on if you want the Type S look. Maybe treat yourself to some Eibach springs too for some more sportiness ;) . I think that would make a nicer car than the Type S with the lip kit on and Eibach's. Would be more luxurious inside and with Eibach springs would probably be a superior sporty drive to the Type S. It's my long term plan ;) .

As with Steve. You are buying a body kit, half leather seats and NO sunroof.

You know an Eec makes sense ;).

Where can you buy the lip kit that people speak of?? Seems a good compromise buying a fully loaded exec and adding a touch of sportiness to it.

Si