What's new

Coolant advice

jsmith89

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 VTEC Sport
I've noticed that the coolant is going to need changing soon. I was wondering if there is an equivalent to Honda's type 2 coolant or if it just best to use the original product again.

Joe

Just go with Honda fluid mate. It may be a few quid more than other options, but it's probably the best solution for the job.

Yea I think that's the best option. I was reading some bits on Google saying it's not the same as ordinary green antifreeze.

It lasts 5 years and aftermarket long life antifreezes cost similar anyway. I'd suggest changing the radiator drain plug o-ring as well to avoid leaks afterwards.

Use Honda coolant only man, its designed to be used in the system and has the right chemicals, others won't and you will run the risk of issues such as corroding the inside of radiator. A 5 litre bottle is only around £17/18

Very true.

I'm having cambelt etc changed on Wednesday so I don't want the garage to put naff fluid in it.

I did a little search on the internet and stumbled upon this topic from an US forum: http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3324. The topic states a few differences with "big brand" coolant manufacturers such as the use of organic corrosion inhibitors. Also it states that the Honda coolant should be silicates and or borates free.

I downloaded a product sheet from the Eurol website for the coolant I used during my flush last year, You can find it here: http://www.eurol.com/en/productfiles/pi/1732-eurol-coolant-36degc-xl.pdf

In this product sheet I can't seem to find any obstructions (pardon for my English) to NOT use this brand coolant.

Looks okay as it users an organic corrosion inhibitor instead of the traditional silicates and phosphates.

It says on the sheet

"urol® Coolant -36 XL is nitrite, amine, borate, phosphate, nitrate and silicate-free"

You can get it a bit cheaper too with free delivery with the club discount with Holdcroft honda.

You will have a litre left spare which come sin handy should you need to top up.