What's new

CTDI oil consumption

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
ive had my 04 saloon ctdi for 4 years or so now and its never used a drop of oil and has always been pretty much full still when coming to a service. the only oil that was lost was from a very tiny leak it had that was fixed eventually this summer..... (long story) ive just checked my oil and its below half way between the 2 markers on the dip stick. the leak was fixed and an oil change carried out during the summer so roughly 6 months ago.

any ideas why all of a sudden its using oil? there are no signs of any leaks etc and as far as im aware it doesnt smoke at least not out of the ordinary anyway... the car has covered 145k but has always been serviced at Honda from new.

apart from this oil consumption the car has unusually been running well over the last few months... shouldnt really moan too much!!!!

how much oil do other members get through?

my wife recently bought an 2007 civic ctdi sport and it had an oil change at Honda just before we bought it and this has used almost as much oil. we only got the car 3 months ago.....

I never have to top up between changes, but the level normally drops from just over max (I stick the whole 6L in) to just over min between annual changes. So I guess (on average) that'll be around 1L/10k miles or so.

expect oil consumption with a diesel varies from 1to 2 litres per 600 miles, I check my oil weekly how often do you lift the bonnet??

I certainly wouldn't be concerned at your oil consumption especially given the miles its done. Some will be leaking past the turbo seals and into the intake somewhere.

edgeoftime said:
expect oil consumption with a diesel varies from 1to 2 litres per 600 miles, I check my oil weekly how often do you lift the bonnet??
that sounds excessive.... i would guess ive covered about 4.5k since it was last changed as i do roughly 10k a year. as my car didnt even use a drop until recently i didnt have to check the oil level tbh. every time it was checked it was always full from the day of service up until the day before the next service. when i first bought it i read about some using lots of oil but mine didnt... ive been lucky until now!

whats the difference in liters between low and max? anyone know?

I would be worried if mine used between 1 and 2 litres every 600 miles... in fact, I'd be getting concerned about impending catastrophic diesel runaway!

Mine uses none, but have read somewhere on here? it is not unknown.

sorry lads it was here, and they are built in swindon LOL

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/6583-oil-consumption-diesels.html

OR COULD IT HAVE BEEN HERE?

Honda’s chief engine designer Kenichi Nagahiro never liked the idea of diesels, but eventually demurred to European demands. After a few years of buying Isuzu engines that were short on refinement and long on cost, Nagahiro eventually designed his own unit and aimed to replicate the company’s well mannered, high-revving petrol engines, albeit with oil-burning economy. This was launched in 2004 and, although it wasn’t without the odd hitch (such as excessive oil consumption in early examples), it was well engineered and provided real economy gains.

I think it's around a litre from max to min on the dipstick as a rough guide

I change my oil every 6000 miles. I fill it to the top mark, and by the time the next change is due it's dropped to a little under half way. I guess that works out to about a litre every 10,000 or so. My engine is a shade under 100K miles.

I'm pretty sure all 7th gen Accords were built in Japan. But Civics are made in Swindon. Not sure where the engines are actually built though.

Matt when I had my 7th gen it used about 0.5l between services.
But as said with the miles you have you will expect to use slightly more.

Jon_G said:
I'm pretty sure all 7th gen Accords were built in Japan. But Civics are made in Swindon. Not sure where the engines are actually built though.
Sorry to go off topic for a moment, if it's going to be a discussion, we'll start a new thread, but if anyone can give a definite answer, no need. But the other day I was talking to a mechanic who used to own a 7th Gen diesel (owned two in fact, one pre, one post facelift). He said the 7th Gen Petrols are Japan made, but the Diesels were built in South Africa. Anyone else ever heard of this? I wasn't sure what to make of it. Has he got it mixed up with a different car or something. I've just never heard this before.

Sorry again it should read 1/2 litre per 600 miles, it's an age thing. :unsure: :unsure:

Don't know Jon.

ive been to Honda today and purchased a 1L bottle of 0W30 oil. after putting in 450ml my level was at max so i guess thats not too bad considering i had an oil change at the beginning of july. the other half can go in the wifes civic :)

the oil i was given is labelled as 'Honda new generation diesel engine oil 0w30 fully synthetic'. i may be barking up the wrong tree here but im sure the last bottle i bought had something different on the bottle.... is this the only diesel oil Honda do these days? it was a few years ago the last time i bought some... it just got me thinking it may be for the newer i-dtec engine and not the i-ctdi.

Matt oil used on the I-dtec will be low saps I think.
Also Honda used to sell castrol oil from memory

Brett this is what im now thinking..... on the front it says -

'Honda new generation diesel engine oil 0W-30 fully synthetic fuel economy'

on the rear in small print it says -

'fully synthetic, ultra fuel efficient, high performance engine oil. for use in Honda automobile gasoline and diesel engines. premium Honda diesel factory fill oil. compatible with diesel particle filter systems. recommended by Honda for all i-DTEC engines.'

there is no mention of low saps or anything else for that matter on the bottle. both my accord and the wifes civic are i-CTDI engines so is this suitable? if it does turn out to be low saps oil is it compatable with our engines and if not what will happen?

I think this will be fine Matt as the give away is it's suitable for the FRV.There are no I-DTEC engines in these cars

i hope so. i did ask if this was the same oil they used on a service and the reply was "yes" so im sure it is ok. it just got me thinking.....

It amazes me how quickly the oil turns so black in a diesel, and that is after just a few miles after a oil change.
It's like it's never been changed. I suppose that's normal in any diesel.

yes it does turn black very fast like you say and is perfectly normal on a diesel.

has anyone used castrol edge 0W-30 before? im looking for an alternative as i wont be taking my car to Honda for servicing any more due to high service charges...

Well I have decided to take my 05 Diesel Accord to Suzuki. They told me they use Castrol 0W/30.
£129 for service plus £10 for MOT. My car is 9 years old now so I will be looking for whoever offers the best price
(using genuine parts and fluids) for my repairs.

mattlee said:
Brett this is what im now thinking..... on the front it says -

'Honda new generation diesel engine oil 0W-30 fully synthetic fuel economy'

on the rear in small print it says -

'fully synthetic, ultra fuel efficient, high performance engine oil. for use in Honda automobile gasoline and diesel engines. premium Honda diesel factory fill oil. compatible with diesel particle filter systems. recommended by Honda for all i-DTEC engines.'

there is no mention of low saps or anything else for that matter on the bottle. both my accord and the wifes civic are i-CTDI engines so is this suitable? if it does turn out to be low saps oil is it compatable with our engines and if not what will happen?
Mattlee if it is a diesel particulate filter compatible oil, then it is a low saps oil as that's a requirement for those engines ;) don't be worried about using it, it is still a Honda 0w30!

Hobnob, Make sure that price is including gen filters. Its a very good price if they are genuine Honda components, off top of my head, fuel filter is roughly £30.00, oil filter £16.00, air filter (doesn't have to be Honda) £16.00, then 6 litres of Castrol must be cost them at least £30.00, therefore that leaves £34.00 for labour. I suppose it could be right as the job and be easily done in an hour.

Hey Spud, as it turned out Honda Horizon MD Christchurch ( I am down that way 2 times a week ) got back to me . They matched Suzuki MOT and service price £140 all in. So cancelled Suzuki and went back to Honda. My Accord Diesel is 9 years old so MOT is always a bit tense. As it turns out it needed 2 rear tyres so Honda got me Bridgestone A001 all weather for £76 each. The total for service, MOT, 2 Bridgestone A001 tyres, free breakdown cover, loan of car, wash and valet = £300. They did use 5w/30 oil but I am happy with that. All in all very happy with Honda Horizon. :)