What's new

diagnose cracked manifold

brodziu

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer i-CTDI
Hi guys, sorry for posting another tread about manifold, but just want your advise and if you could confirm that is it cracked manifold, I'm pretty sure that it is but before I'll call HH I want to be sure :) I don't feel fumes inside, also nothing in the engine bay, but today I was changing oil in the gear box and I've noticed this
IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

The bit you have circled looks more like an oil pipe to the turbo or similar its definitely not the manifold

I didn't circled pipe :D I meant that black stuff behind that pipe on the engine block, which is soot so I ***umed that it comes from manifold ;)

I didn't circled pipe :D I meant that black stuff behind that pipe on the engine block, which is soot so I ***umed that it comes from manifold ;)
:lol: Yep that looks like the start of a cracked manifold Grzesiek well spotted fella.
To be sure wipe it clean and see in 1 weeks time if the black soot is back.

thanks brett, I've got no time for tests as I'm going almost 2000 miles round trip in two weeks so I need to sort it out asap, but I'll give HH call on monday to book an appointment and we'll see, luckily I'm only 5 year old and 70k miles on the clock so it should be free :D

Sorry I was viewing on my phone earlier and didn't notice the soot

thanks brett, I've got no time for tests as I'm going almost 2000 miles round trip in two weeks so I need to sort it out asap, but I'll give HH call on monday to book an appointment and we'll see, luckily I'm only 5 year old and 70k miles on the clock so it should be free :D
Thats your best bet just get it sorted and HH will do a fine job.

Looks like soot marks - can you smell anything? that's the real test

no Fahad, I can't feel any fumes either inside the car or under bonnet, but from my knowledge that soot clearly indicates that fumes are coming off cracked manifold

quick update guys, so I didn't have a time to go to HH so I went to my local honda dealer to check manifold and after 20 minutes technican told my that it's not manifod as he can't smell any fumes, he kept engine on 3k revs as thats the way they are checking it and he said it's ok, but he couldn't answer my question where does this soot came from, because he had accord on the ramp with cracked manifold he showed it to me and explained that if he would replace that he need to send faulty part to Honda UK and if they would refuse that I'll have to pay for parts an labour, so just advised me that I should keep an eye on it and if it get worst I just need to come back and then they will do it, I still have 2 years or 50k miles left until I'll be outside warranty so plenty time, anyway today I removed heat shield to see how it looks from the tom and in fact there's also some soot but not so much, while shield was removed I started the engine to see if I can smell any fumes, and nope nothing, so I'll leave it for now, I have long trip to Poland next week so we'll see after that, if it get worst I'll try to sort it out there ;)

Maybe the manifold gasket is blowing? But you'd have thought they'd have noticed that!

As someone has already mentioned, wipe it off and see if it comes back.

Edit - how many bolts do you have on the heat shield?

even if it's blowing from gasket I should still smell fumes, but I don't, there's 3 bolts on heat shield,

I see your point, but it's still confusing that you have a soot stain but cannot smell fumes... you'd expect that both things would happen together!

3 bolts = original 2-piece welded manifold (so is liable to cracking).
Later replacement 1-piece manifold = 2 bolts on heat shield.

Mine's cracked, but doesn't seem to be getting worse. Only leaks exhaust when first started, and has been like it for several years. At least your's is under some sort of warranty/replacement programme so at least if/when it does get worse you should be OK.

yes mine is welded, the soot was around one weld, but for honda technican he needs to smell fumes and if he doesn't so it means that manifold is ok, even when I showed him a pictures he still was saying that there may be problems to claim from Honda UK to replace it, but as you said Jon your was cracked for few years and it was ok so I reckon that mine will be ok too ;) as long as I can't feel fumes inside I can live with that, but when I'll be getting close to the 7 years or 125k miles and it won't be worse then I'll have to perform a little sabotage :lol:

That's why they call it the sniff test.. and most of the cheeky buggers now charge £45+VAT just to take a whiff!!

thanks Jon ;)
Fahad, that's what I was worrying about before I left my car with them, but hopefully they didn't charged me ;)

Trust me its gets reel bad after some time, sounds horrible too. Huk will kill the funding in sept on all chain/mani claims regardless of mileage and I cant see them offering too much goodwill on low miler cars either. They will be glad this is over.

Where did you hear that Sal?

Trust me its gets reel bad after some time, sounds horrible too. Huk will kill the funding in sept on all chain/mani claims regardless of mileage and I cant see them offering too much goodwill on low miler cars either. They will be glad this is over.
Very interesting Sal as Fahad said where did you hear this from

Er Honda :unsure: Maybe not on the manifold but the chain.

Do the math :p

OK i see what you mean, but yes only Manifold claims will most likely end this year as the warranty on those was for pre facelifts, but the facelift cars wen on right into 58 reg (believe it or not I've seen a 58 reg 7th gen on the road) and they could still suffer from the manifold issues.

So to clarify because he's talking jibberish again :p
Timing chain warranty will end sept 2012, manifold affects facelift aswell so 7 years still apply as normal.

Got you Sal of course the chain only effects early pre facelift models.

If you’re not getting fumes in the cabin or under the bonnet on a cold start then hopefully it's not cracked, might just be a slight blow from the flexi joint when accelerating hard as it's a spring loaded joint.

Mine was cracked on the ends and the top of the manifold but left no soot on the engine block just on the heat shield, mine also had a ticking noise when cold and smell in the cabin.

After welding the cracks.

IMAG0234.jpg

My guess is gasket 11 on the diagram is leaking a little.

exhaust.jpg

Guys
Is there a "Usual" mileage or time period for the manifolds to crack?
My car is a 56 plate with 48K miles, took off the heat shield today and everything was spotless.

Got a year to go on extended HUK warranty period, just wondering if the manifold is likely to go this year, or if it requires a lot more miles

Mine went in the last month. 06 plate with 90k miles on it. Noticed the exhaust smell in the cabin from roughly 85k