What's new

Diagnostic Scanners for 7th Gen

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
Matt has kindly posted out his HDS to me for a final check on the ABS system before I throw some hard earned money at the steed.

Whilst I have the basic OBD2 scanner and Dr app which has done a stirling job of clearing down the historic manifold fault codes, the ABS/VSA is the next (and final ) stage though it would be useful for future checks in the event I keep the car for as long as the others, which has often been upwards of six years.

Matt's machine is allegedly very similar to this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-HDS-V3-017-System-Diagnostic-Tool-For-Honda-ACURA-With-Double-Board-From-UK-/112277014281?hash=item1a243b4709:g:a1sAAOSwhOVXc9mR

though I will have to borrow the daughter's XP laptop to use it. It does mention Can-Bus operation though.

Slightly different though, Amazon were offering this unit up to yesterday, with more in shortly and it appears to have similar specification, including the mention ABS diagnosis and of Can-Bus operation. I don't however know whiich version of Windows it operates on, though a disc is supplied.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AQT1KG8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So , is the latter cheaper version likely to have similar performance for the Accord, or should I go for the Acura unit at £120 ?

Thanks in advance

My HDS is as per the first link.
It's the best way to get everything done (once you've got your head around setting it up - took me a few evenings - there's a thread on here somewhere)

Personally I'd go for the Autel all day long.

I bought a Shenzhen, it didn't read the ABS codes as promised, and it made the tailgate do the can-can for some reason !

As long as you need. I haven't used it in 18 months, and I only use the accord once a fortnight. Might plug the FRV in when I service it at the end of the summer. Hardly a rush.

Bear in mind that the HDS doesn't just read error codes. It can also run interactive diagnostic test routines for all engine sub-systems and also allows for replacement injectors to be coded to the ECU.

ukcl9 said:
Ive fixed all my abs problem using a paper clip in pin 4 and 9 of the obd port and read the flashing lights
But yours isn't a diesel with the 'pump of doom'

The paper-clip method should fix it, and it it doesn't, anything else is unlikely to fix it.

Note as I said here --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23459-vsa-fault-elimination/?p=243871 " On the 7th gen, HDS (or an ELM327) uses K-line. There is a K-line connection to the MICU (which acts as a proprietary gateway to CAN which HDS can read but some ELM327 cannot read). There is also a K-line connection to pin 23 on connector E of the engine ECU (not easy to find in the ESM) which is for direct reading of the engine ECU as provided for in the OBD2 standard (hence cheap generic readers can read the 7th gen engine ECU but nothing else)."

In other words, on the 7th gen pre-facelift (and probably the facelift) only the K-Line connection to the ECU is fully OBD2 compliant, the other K-Line connection to the MICU (which is the gateway to the other ECUs on the CAN) is proprietary.

proprietary connection definition --> https://www.google.co.uk/#q=proprietary+connection+definition

Thus if you buy something that does not explicitly say that it can read the ABS etc on a 7th gen Honda Accord, then you may be disappointed.

Note also that HDS = "Honda Diagnostic Software", the unit that Matt sent you is actually the HIM = "Honda Interface Module".

The HDS is the software/display/human interface that runs on XP.

To search on ebay, use "Honda HDS HIM"

edit:
Note also that ELM327 is a chip --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELM327 that can only read fully compliant OBD2 interfaces/protocols and it is likely that most hand-held scanners use an ELM327 and simply have a display added on. So that Autel may be no better than the ELM327 and app that you already have.

Yeah, it has all the software in there too, so I have actually sent the HDS.
(And a copy of XP just in case ;) )

freddofrog said:
The paper-clip method should fix it, and it it doesn't, anything else is unlikely to fix it.

Note as I said here --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23459-vsa-fault-elimination/?p=243871 " On the 7th gen, HDS (or an ELM327) uses K-line. There is a K-line connection to the MICU (which acts as a proprietary gateway to CAN which HDS can read but some ELM327 cannot read). There is also a K-line connection to pin 23 on connector E of the engine ECU (not easy to find in the ESM) which is for direct reading of the engine ECU as provided for in the OBD2 standard (hence cheap generic readers can read the 7th gen engine ECU but nothing else)."

In other words, on the 7th gen pre-facelift (and probably the facelift) only the K-Line connection to the ECU is fully OBD2 compliant, the other K-Line connection to the MICU (which is the gateway to the other ECUs on the CAN) is proprietary.

proprietary connection definition --> https://www.google.co.uk/#q=proprietary+connection+definition

Thus if you buy something that does not explicitly say that it can read the ABS etc on a 7th gen Honda Accord, then you may be disappointed.

Note also that HDS = "Honda Diagnostic Software", the unit that Matt sent you is actually the HIM = "Honda Interface Module".

The HDS is the software/display/human interface that runs on XP.

To search on ebay, use "Honda HDS HIM"
Thanks. I always had my faith in the paperclip method as it cannot be challenged on a fault code basis, but I am up against the clearing down of each code as it appears.

So is Matt's Acura unit going to be any better than one that is 60% of the price for both working out Accord issues I have ? I can read electrical wiring diagrams and can probably best guess where a short or open circuit has occurred (and I was going to look at every image on the Accord workshop manual over the weekend to check the loom in detail).

I do have the base instinct that the Bosch unit is at fault and there are plenty on the auction site up for grabs. How long does it take for old for new replacement in Honda service hours btw , including fluids ?

The VSA switch is one of those anomalies that has come about only as a result of the testing procedure submitted, which suggests damage to the component but I have put things in place to remove the possibility of a misunderstanding of Honda's requirements that it is a third party switch at fault, and the question still remains on Pins 3 and 4 'continuity' within the loom.

Both diagnostic designs mentioned above run Win 2000 or earlier so I ***ume they are from a shared intellect of car design from the very late 90's, which would mean they are good enough for the average car user. but if you wish to move forwards then I can switch from UI to UX if this is how the discussion can progress, I can work in both.

The VSA unit is faulty Stephen, the sooner you accept that, the less effort you'll be expending in other (and futile) directions

Goodluckmonkey said:
My HDS is as per the first link.
It's the best way to get everything done (once you've got your head around setting it up - took me a few evenings - there's a thread on here somewhere)
I have setup instructions on pc at home will take you about an hour took me about that

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I did find a bit more info on it and it looks like it will do a bit more than just the engine check stuff it can check air bags etc but can't find anything on if it will test ABS VSA etc just wondered if anyone had tried it.

The annoying thing is i have a laptop full of automotive diagnostic software inc the Honda specific software but i don't have the interface for that software gggrrrr.

ALT said:
The annoying thing is i have a laptop full of automotive diagnostic software inc the Honda specific software but i don't have the interface for that software gggrrrr.
If you list what you have I'm sure others will advise what you can use out of the box and what needs additional interfaces.

This looks like a bargain though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paper-Clip-1p-1c-Collection-Only-1-Penny-Auction1-Penny-Paper-Clip-/172746712207?hash=item283881a48f:g:bk8AAOSwBt5ZJUrM

ill have a look when i get into work monday and see what software i have i think the laptop and interfaces that i have are all ex RAC kit

Subject: Is this scanner suitable for my Honda Accord i-CTDi 2.2 Tourer, Post-facelift 2007, 57 plate (the VIN shows it as a CN2 with a year of manufacture of 2008) / can you recommend a suitable scanner.

Hi
After a recent clutch change my car was returned with 2 faults:
1. Passenger Airbag Light
2. Now Cruise Control no longer activates (though Cruise Control light is on as normal).

The garage refuses to take any responsibility, saying disconnection of the battery can sometime cause these issues.
Now recently retired I have a little more time to do things for myself and no longer keen to pass lots of cash to my Honda garage.
I would rather buy a good scanner capable of reading/resetting faults and guiding me to potential fixes.

Can you good people on this site recommend something suitable (£200 max spend)?

Is the one below I have looked at suitable and worth it?

https://www.ebay.co....tm/362042432403

it's an OBD2 II iCarsoft CR Plus UNIVERSAL ECU SRS ABS OIL SERVICE RESET DIAGNOSTIC TOOL

Many thanks in anticipation

Hi there,

I was hoping that you guys could confirm that i have picked the right tool for running:
  • diagnostics,
  • functional tests,
  • ecu reprogramming.
i need to run functional test in order to get to the bottom of the 5F10 fault code, the potential cause for my 2.2i-ctdi 2007 tourer jumping into limp mode.

So i have found this: https://www.obdexpress.co.uk/wholesale/honda-hds-him-diagnostic-tool-new-double-board.html . I am guessing it would do the job but before forking out £80, just wanted to double check.

Maybe anybody selling one here?

kind regards,
n