What's new

Diesel MPG mods

r3dd3v1l

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord EX
Hello All,

been doing quite a bit of research on improving mpg on a car, coming from a type R to an Accord is big step in the process all ready haha, i already know the most common ones e.g, Drivers right foot, tyre pressure reduced weight etc, but one that has caught my eye and seems relatively easy to do, would be a grill block.

Theory has it, it allows the engine bay to heat up quicker, diesels perform better while warm and it should improve aero dynamics (ever so slightly)

Also looking to by the GT splitter and adding a strip of rubber underneath like some of peugeots and fords have, (i know this wont make alot of difference, but i do like the look of the GT splitter, i will be buying a GT grill as well :) )

So has anyone tackled a grill block on the 8th gen accord?

Cheers

Why not have it tuned instead with a stage 1? I wouldn't block any induction passages on a modern car .

Recently there was a lengthy Civinfo thread on the subject of radiator/engine blanking on the 2.2 i-CTDi, mainly to get the heater to blow warm sooner. The OP concluded it to be a massive success, but I suggest that this was because he started off with a faulty (e.g. not fully closing) engine thermostat and did argue this case in his thread.

Personally, I wouldn't block anything.

Go to civinfo.com and search for 'thermostat', then look for the thread started by a member called vibrating_cake.

Theory is good but blocking cooling to rads and induction for the engine to breath would be a big no no in my book...

I'd like a stage 1 map myself... but a long way to see Fahad, and funds are tight at mo, maybe think about a group buy? :)

Drop me a line we can work something out, there a few options if you can be flexible.

Jon_G said:
Recently there was a lengthy Civinfo thread on the subject of radiator/engine blanking on the 2.2 i-CTDi, mainly to get the heater to blow warm sooner. The OP concluded it to be a massive success, but I suggest that this was because he started off with a faulty (e.g. not fully closing) engine thermostat and did argue this case in his thread.

Personally, I wouldn't block anything.

Go to civinfo.com and search for 'thermostat', then look for the thread started by a member called vibrating_cake.
great thanks, i did read up on a few forums where people have done this, and have gained a few mpg and a faster heated up heating system.

Mutley_m said:
Theory is good but blocking cooling to rads and induction for the engine to breath would be a big no no in my book...

I'd like a stage 1 map myself... but a long way to see Fahad, and funds are tight at mo, maybe think about a group buy? :)
i have a child, house and other things to get first, so i wont be included in the group for another few years hahaha

Honda actually did a pretty good job of the stock i-CTDi filter and housing. Some time ago someone did a whole bunch of trials on different options, but came to the conclusion that the Honda parts were best. I would expect this to be also the case for later diesels.

Jon_G said:
Honda actually did a pretty good job of the stock i-CTDi filter and housing. Some time ago someone did a whole bunch of trials on different options, but came to the conclusion that the Honda parts were best. I would expect this to be also the case for later diesels.

fair enough, i only say this as when i took the filter boxapart to visually inspect the filter, it looked like your run of the mill, oem restricted filter unit......very dense if you get what i mean.

Hi Asher,

What sort of mpg do you get out of it now?

TBH a big car like an Accord isnt ever going to get amazing mpg. You will gain a bit by, good maintenance, tyre pressures, regular oil changes, filters, and gentle driving technique.

Consider what you drive the big car for, if its just a town driving trip take a small car.

The difference in your annual fuel bill will be minimal whatever you change on the car, so factor in the cost of the mods, will take a while to even break even.

Hello Rich,

i average about 55mpg on each fuel fill, £20 to £25.

i cant fault its mpg figures as alot of people get alot less, and coming from a tuned civic type r the change is immense! :) :) :)

i do 50% motor journeys 40% A/B road journeys and the rest is around town.

i like the mpg as it is, but i like perfecting the perfect hahaha, iv always been a firm beleiver of "if it ent broke dont fix it" but then i always like to try and make improvements if their possible.

Cheers

Consider an electric car or even a bicycle next ;)

Fahad I had a QuantumBlue remap on my iDTEC 8 gen Tourer. Reasonably happy with the smoothness, but a little disappointed that the difference in torque hasn't been more noticeable. No real difference in MPG, I get around 44 and I drive carefully.

Hi, I can't comment on another company's solution but we have an excellent track record with both the 7th and 8th gen cars.

Economy can be a difficult one to quantify as there are so many variables that affect it.

Have you kept the DPF in and have you had any DPF related issues?

F6HAD said:
Hi, I can't comment on another company's solution but we have an excellent track record with both the 7th and 8th gen cars.

Economy can be a difficult one to quantify as there are so many variables that affect it.

Have you kept the DPF in and have you had any DPF related issues?
how do you get around mots with no dpf? reading in a magazine, pretty soon it will be an mot requirement same as the cat

Already a requirement and already widely discussed. The change is just a visual check, they have no other means to check if something is missing. DPF removals are taking place as normal throughout the industry.

Of course anyone deciding to have it removed needs to take the time to understand the changes and make their own decision.

F6HAD said:
Already a requirement and already widely discussed. The change is just a visual check, they have no other means to check if something is missing. DPF removals are taking place as normal throughout the industry.

Of course anyone deciding to have it removed needs to take the time to understand the changes and make their own decision.
really want it done but as i moving away from my current mot tester, dunno if i can find another friendly mot tester.

I have a small privately owned MOT testing station near me and having my DPF removed by F4HAD on Saturday, I think if you have your MOTs done at Honda dealers you are more likely for it to get noticed, however the service manager at my local dealer said after I had a regen that the best way for me was to get the DPF removed, so read into that what ever.

An honest Honda Service Manager.. Now that's refreshing!

Hope he is right mate ...lol

Fahad I don't know whether the DPF has been removed or if it exists at all! How do I find out? What does removing it do for performance?

Just as the MOT tester can't really tell from an external visual check, it's difficult for you to check without taking the unit and looking at it.

With it removed, you can tune it outside the DPF thresholds meaning better performance and you tend to see better economy also as a partially clogged DPF will be creating problems in itself.

If you rev on standstill, can you see any smoke emitting from the rear? sometimes that's the easiest way to tell.