What's new

DIY - ABS Sensor Change

Well it had to happen some time I guess.....
Dropping my son off at playschool I noticed the row of 3 lights on and thought "this could be expensive"
The lights reset after cycling the ignition, but then would illuminate any time between reversing and 5 miles home....

Friend next door has a OBD reader though for some reason it saw engine and emissions data though no fault codes....

I checked the resistance on each one (fronts are a bit fiddly getting probes in - easier if you flick the small cap off inside the plug) and even though all had a reading, the o/s/r was nearly half the figure of the other 3. Add to this with the rear jacked up engine on, spinning the rear wheels independently, the n/s was fine, the o/s brought the lights on. So bullet bitten and a sensor ordered from Bexhill Honda as I cant be asked to try and source one elsewhere - surprising no-one does a pattern part by now?

This is the first part I have had to buy - apart from service items - in around 2 years of owning the car. Was a bit concerned it could be the VSA module but fingers crossed @ £140 its "the cheap bit".....

Steve, if won't be the VSA module as yours is a petrol car and the module is totally different to the diesels.

Agree with you that its surprising nobody has made a pattern part yet.. You can't read the ABS codes on a generic code reader as they do not interrogate the seperate modules such as airbag, abs etc.

you can get a pattern part from america from a tsx. Cost parv about £40 when he had to get one for his diesel. Quick search on here should bring it up

Ok, so the part arrived - looked like the bit I needed.

Started to drill the sensor out, which is fairly easy till you wonder where the end is going to go once drilled out!

So I came up with this idea...

Drill about half the thick part of the sensor out and clean the hole in the hub.
Drill a smaller hole into the remains of the sensor about 3 - 4mm
Now heres the good bit.

Find a coarse self tapping bolt (In this case it was an m5 or 6 bolt out of a slide hammer kit) and a large nut big enough to almost fit the sensor through. Put the bolt through like its a washer. Screw the bolt into the hole drilled into the sensor and start winding.
I though I had simply ripped the centre out of the sensor but no! When I looked at the bolt there at the end of the bolt was the last piece of it.
Cleaned up the hole, a little moly on the sides of the new sensor and job done.

Light went out straight away and not been on since.

Part was £147, took 25mins start to finish which included figuring out and finding the bits.

Nice one mate, and great idea - I just used a vaccum cleaner :lol:

Thanks for this DIY.

I replaced ABS sensor on front right.. had to drill out.. the biggest problem I encountered was that the bottom piece fell inside the hole and I couldn't fish it out no matter how I tried. In the end, I had to get my drill in there to break it into smaller pieces. I was sure that I destroyed ABS sensor wheel (or whatever is inside) while having my drill bit in there but so far everything looks good :) ABS light is gone....

To suck out small pieces, I put a balloon on opening of a hand vacuum, made a smalll hole in balloon, inserted a straw in there and slid the other end of straw in the ABS sensor hole. That way I was able to suck all those tiny pieces from in there.

Hi all,
I have to refresh this threat. I have a problem with my right front speed sensor. I have tried to unscrew it, but that bolt broke. so probably sensor will break as well. The problem is different, I want to buy a new one and I come across the one one EBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-VIII-2-2-I-CTDI-FROM-2004-ABS-WHEEL-SPEED-SENSOR-ABS-103-ULTRA-/350974798545?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Year%3A2004%7CCar+Make%3AHonda%7CCars+Type%3A2.2i-CTDI%7CModel%3AAccord&hash=item51b7ba6ad1

But it doesn't say is it right or left side. Is there a difference ?

That's a really good find there mate.. We've been waiting years for someone to make aftermarket abs sensors for these.

The sensors themselves are not sided but the wiring loom brackets are. However as this is not a genuine dealer part, it might not even have the bracket on so it might not matter.

That is an excellent price for one of these I have to say.

There are 3 Honda compatible part numbers shown in that eBay link... I've just copied them into the Honda Lings website part search and - luckily - they all come back as front right. You can try this yourself, but you'll probably need to set up an account with Lings.

Welcome to TA... please say hello in the newbies section when you get a chance!

Thanks guys, I will ask my local shop for price, if its too high I will try this one, will let you know how it ended

Hi, finally got it fixed, not without some setbacks. First front right: when I was trying to unscrew it, bolt snapped, then trying to get sensor out is snapped too, so I had to drill both of them out. I have installed new sensor, but my honda didn't see it. After computer reset by unplugging battery, after few minutes computer finally saw new sensor, but the second it started working rear right disappeared. So I had to buy another one. Got it fitted today, had to be drilled out too, but finally 3 icons disappeared. Rear one cost 30 pounds on ebay as well. Thanks for your help.

Yep they're always a nightmare, but great to know there are finally some reasonably priced copy sensors available!

Ive recently just changed one of mine, cant emphasise enough. Use genuine honda abs sensor, i bought i cheap one off ebay, dimensions are wrong, so dont pick the megnetic ring on the bearing up

Pardon me for bumping an old thread :)

The 3 lights came on for my iCDTI a few weeks ago. Took it to the garage and they plugged it into their diagnostics and all 4 wheels had a comment about "ABS sensors not working"

The garage did some tests on the road and in the workshop and say the ABS is working. They then reset it but unfortunately the warning lights have come back.

So, do I need to get this done on all 4 wheels?

Where is the best place currently to buy the parts?

Thanks

You need to know the specific error code and description to identify the root cause. It could be any number of things such as a bad speed sensor or even the vsa modulator itself.

F6HAD said:
You need to know the specific error code and description to identify the root cause. It could be any number of things such as a bad speed sensor or even the vsa modulator itself.
OK, I will check it on the OBD reader this week

Yes, the garage warned me it could be the modulator, which would cost so much it wouldn't make economic sense to fix it

MOT in a month too.... would like to get this fixed, rather than just cross my fingers and hope it behaves for the test

Booked it in at local Honda for the £90 diagnostics check this Friday

I read online that they have diagnostics equipment that indys won't, so for the sake of a few more quid I will get them to diagnose

If it is the VSA modulator then I can expect them to quote ~£1800

In which case I'd buy the part for £250 or so and pay my indy to fit it

F6HAD said:
£90 to scan a car!
I know :( first time in 5 years of Accord ownership at least

Too bad I couldn't do it myself with the OBD code reader I have.

Anyway good news is that it isn't the VSA module that I feared.

It is the left rear ABS sensor that needs changing (reading this thread it is always the left rear lol)

They quoted me £360 inc VAT for the part and fitting

I'm thinking to buy the part for £140 from them (if that is still the price) and pay my indy to fit it

You can get aftermarket sensors now they work just fine mate

£15 ! Wow bargain.. ordered one thanks a bunch

Seems to be a 1 hour max job to fit it too. Might get the whole thing done for less than Honda charged for the diagnostics and a road test

Well exactly. Can’t believe you paid that much for a scan. Just take your time doing the sensor they tend to break and you’ll need to carefully drill it out but it’s not a hard job overall. You shouldn’t require any diagnostic reset either, once the wheels sense some revolutions and as long as it’s fitted correctly the light will go out.

Cheers. Definitely won't be doing this myself haha

Changing a fuse, wiring a dashcam and changing wiper blades are the limit of my DIY

The sensor isn’t much harder. It’s only held in by a single 10mm bolt if I recall correctly and if you can handle a simple drill and screwdriver and remove a wheel you’ll be fine.

great write up fahad :)

F6HAD said:
The sensor isn’t much harder. It’s only held in by a single 10mm bolt if I recall correctly and if you can handle a simple drill and screwdriver and remove a wheel you’ll be fine.
Got the job done for £50 and a few cups of tea by a pair of mobile mechanics :)

They came on Friday, adamant he didn't need a drill, 90 mins later "uh, I should have bought a drill, this is corroded"

Came Monday morning and did it in an hour

Good result and cheap for a mobile service