What's new

DIY Cold Air Intake for 7th Gen Petrol

You can find review of Icebox intake for Cl9 wich is just different lid for stock airbox, foam filter and 90 degree pipe with airhorn. That give more low end power than CAIs.

I'm wondering if that rubber pipe that we left from Tb may affect performance. Best solution would be one single pipe from Tb to cone filter like this one.
e9866d4a1a83f9c224cf7b2f39c407c4.jpg

Ok cheers il have a look at that.

See im a little thrown because I had the reflash so recently that im still getting used to that, but you and steve had the CAI before reflash so you are better to judge performance.

I love the noise dont get me wrong but it is secondary to performance, I installed it to compliment the reflash and get most out of it.

So in yours and steves opinion does this DIY CAI or any definitly give better all round performance (not just top revs) than the factory set up?
Cheers.

Reflashed car will probably gain more with cai compared to stock intake with resonator.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

krisdee said:
Ok now I'm shocked! I never believed that CAI can give you any extra bhp, just noise but I felt the difference straight away. I just compare two 0-60 videos in video editor, 2nd gear acceleration.
Stock/CAI
4.5-6krpm 2.2s/2.0s
4.5-7krpm 3.5s/3.1s
5-6krpm 1.5s/1.3s
6-7krpm 1.4s/1.2s
I have the exact same parts as you on my CAI, I was worried about losing some aspect of performance (lower/midrange) in the gain of a little bit of peak power.

But after a week or so of driving the best gains seem to be IN the lower/mid, more so mid.
I dont think its lost anything on top end but I haven't noticed anything, maybe its the noise, hearing that growl and thinking, it should be moving quicker making a noise like that! I dont know, what do you think?

From 3k up to the red line Cai i definitely better than stock. I personally think stock was slightly more responsive on very low rev like 1-2k but anyway forget about and enjoy your vtec from 4600rpm. What is also very important air intake location in stock is in bad place so you may lose power after long driving.

krisdee said:
From 3k up to the red line Cai i definitely better than stock. I personally think stock was slightly more responsive on very low rev like 1-2k but anyway forget about and enjoy your vtec from 4600rpm. What is also very important air intake location in stock is in bad place so you may lose power after long driving.
Well the stock intake port was right at the front by headlight wasn't it?
But yes where it is now I cant imagine any heat getting down there.
Have you also noticed it gets slightly quieter in the range between vtec (4600) and redline? Between say 5-6k?

Paul S said:
Well the stock intake port was right at the front by headlight wasn't it?
But yes where it is now I cant imagine any heat getting down there.
Have you also noticed it gets slightly quieter in the range between vtec (4600) and redline? Between say 5-6k?
I don't understand you mean Cai is quiet 5-6k?

I wouldn't say it was quiet but it calms down after the initial vtec change over

After another drive, nah you're right, top end feels very good.
Also today I was in 5th gear doing about 40 or 50, then put my foot down to overtake, thought I was in 4th not 5th, pull is amazing now in the midrange

Reflash + CAI = fantastic

If you think now it's fantastic so what's gonna be like when you add 4-2-1 header :)

Stop putting ideas in my head, ive spent enough for now!
EP3 gears also very good ive heard lol

I definitely gonna get one, probably after MOT in november, even if cost 1/3 what a i paid for my CL9 last year :)
There is never enough power ;-)

One cheap thing id thought id try is heat insulating tape for the metal pipe on CAI, as metal absorbs alot more heat than plastic, and you can really feel it to the touch after a drive.
Heat shields would be useless on a pipe because the whole engine room is filled with heat, so the idea is to wrap it completely and try and isolate it from the engine bay temp, this tape ive got is aluminium reflective outside to repel the heat with fibreglass underneath to insulate.
Its suposed to repel 90% of the heat, has anyone else used this on induction hoses?

You can also buy Thermoshield Intake Manifold Gasket, this will help reduce intake air temps by removing the direct connection of the intake manifold to the cylinder head.
Throttle body coolant bypass i another easy way to decrease the temperature of the throttle body and intake manifold.

Yes the intake man is another hot point of the induction track, I didn't know you could get heat insulating gaskets for that, good shout

Do you mean when there's a little ridge on the ends to help better grip the hose? If so, I don't think it's essential as long as you use good quality hose clamps and check their tightness after an initial shakedown.

Hi guys, I installed cai exactly as @krisdee did :) And I'm positively shocked Holy s#!t it's loud! But only when accelerating with pedal in the floor. That means most of the time, in my case lol. Fantastic sound Thanks for links to parts @krisdee

Just one question- in your case difference between metal pipe od and rubber pipe id weren't problem? Jubilee clip was enough to keep them tight?

Its great having that choice isn't it?
With a loud exhaust you have noise all the time like it or not.
The one on my subaru pounded my head after a while.
But this is great, and on the K24 sounds meaty as well as loud.

I have the same parts as you and krisdie, yes its fine, you dont even have to do it that ***e before its completly closed, and then a bit more for solidness.
The metal pipe is not smaller than the original plastic pipe leading to original airbox, it just had a big rim for some silly reason

Looks like that plastic pipe sticking out of filter housing is 83mm od. I installed 76mm inside of that rubber pipe coming from throttle body anyway, but difference in diameter is 7mm, so I have in post 83mm alloy joiner and 83mm to 76mm silicone reducer. I'll have to shorten that 90° alloy pipe on upper end tho.

MrNotEnglish said:
Looks like that plastic pipe sticking out of filter housing is 83mm od. I installed 76mm inside of that rubber pipe coming from throttle body anyway, but difference in diameter is 7mm, so I have in post 83mm alloy joiner and 83mm to 76mm silicone reducer. I'll have to shorten that 90° alloy pipe on upper end tho.
Hose clamp on that rubber pipe, spanner and it will fit.
043001a3c0375474b268d6c91d0f9cf7.jpg

or put little bit of 76mm silicone hose on alu pipe.

Paul S said:
After another drive, nah you're right, top end feels very good.
Also today I was in 5th gear doing about 40 or 50, then put my foot down to overtake, thought I was in 4th not 5th, pull is amazing now in the midrange

Reflash + CAI = fantastic
Paul I found something for you.
f96a92929c07275d0d558c0660cb53fd.gif

Green Line - 2006 TSX with reflash
Red Line - 2006 TSX with reflash and cold air intake.
Loss in torque/power from 2400 to 3200 rpm.
Everywhere else nice gain!

krisdee said:
Paul I found something for you.
f96a92929c07275d0d558c0660cb53fd.gif

Green Line - 2006 TSX with reflash
Red Line - 2006 TSX with reflash and cold air intake.
Loss in torque/power from 2400 to 3200 rpm.
Everywhere else nice gain!
Thats a good find, cheers.
There is a good comparison on healtoe website comparing CAIs and short ram intakes for the TSX, the K&N typhoon was the clear winner for power, but they never shown the graphs to see where the gains are.
I think ours is pretty close to the K&N version with the smooth bends and obviously the filter.
I can live with a slight loss between such a small window, there is still gains fairly low down, plus with the extra low down power and responce of the re flash it'll hardly notice.

This morning was the first properly cold morning since installing my CAI, only 6° and it definitely felt the best drive since the CAI and reflash, real solid punch in the back, and it just kept pushing harder with revs, felt very quick indeed.