What's new

** DIY - FULL LED CONVERSION **

Today I managed to fit the stop/tail LED bulbs and on my way to work I was hit by the flashing glow plug light. So now I am deliberating whether to just ignore it or dump the LED bulbs and revert to the old ones. What worries me is that just before I stopped at the gas station the VSA light also lit up but it was gone when I drove off afterwards.
Oh and I found out that the LEDs I ordered for the indicators (at least for the rear ones) are too big and I cannot fit them.
Anyway I had to try because this LED conversion mod is really cool looking (when working of course).

Today I managed to fit the stop/tail LED bulbs and on my way to work I was hit by the flashing glow plug light. So now I am deliberating whether to just ignore it or dump the LED bulbs and revert to the old ones. What worries me is that just before I stopped at the gas station the VSA light also lit up but it was gone when I drove off afterwards.
Oh and I found out that the LEDs I ordered for the indicators (at least for the rear ones) are too big and I cannot fit them.
Anyway I had to try because this LED conversion mod is really cool looking (when working of course).

I`m glad it`s not just me. I thought I was doing something wrong. Could it be a facelift thing?

Dave, mine is '04 so I think it can't be facelift related.

Oh yeah, just spotted that. Just clutching at straws really. Others here have had no problems whatsoever and yet I think you are the third person to have the flashing glow plug light problem with stop/tail LEDs

Just an update - I found out that when I installed the LEDs on the tail/brake lights they would not light unless I took out the bulb from my third(high) brake. With my third brake bulb installed and the LEDs on the tail/brake resulted in the LEDs not working as tail lights (they do work as brake actually) and the third brake bulb blowing after around a minute. Once the third brake bulb blows the LEDs start working but then the glow plug is flashing. A very weird situation. I can only ***ume the LEDs are defective. After I started investigating I read that on the accura tsx a pair of resistors is needed on the tail/brake LEDs for them to work properly so that's what I'll try next in a couple of days. If the resistors do not fix it then I guess I'll just give up and it is going to be stock bulbs on the tail/brake and the third brake.

Just an update - I found out that when I installed the LEDs on the tail/brake lights they would not light unless I took out the bulb from my third(high) brake. With my third brake bulb installed and the LEDs on the tail/brake resulted in the LEDs not working as tail lights (they do work as brake actually) and the third brake bulb blowing after around a minute. Once the third brake bulb blows the LEDs start working but then the glow plug is flashing. A very weird situation. I can only ***ume the LEDs are defective. After I started investigating I read that on the accura tsx a pair of resistors is needed on the tail/brake LEDs for them to work properly so that's what I'll try next in a couple of days. If the resistors do not fix it then I guess I'll just give up and it is going to be stock bulbs on the tail/brake and the third brake.

Hi
I was having the same problems as you apart from I wasn't blowing 3rd break light (which I believe is already LED on a Tourer)

I have tried a 50w resistor (purchased for the indicators) which stopped the glow plug light flashing but wouldn't work as a side light, I'm now wondering if the resistor is to highly rated so might try some 7w ones instead.

Seeing as the pics don't work anymore, i have a slight problem with not knowing all the bulb types. Could some kind soul kindly complete my list below with the fitment type and the number of smd's needed? Some of them have the fitment type already, but are missing the smd number

Sidelights - 501 fitment - 25smd - white
indicators front - ?fitment - ?smd - amber
indicators rear - ?fitment - ?smd - amber
Tail light - 7440 fitment - ?smd - red
Brake/tail light - 7443/7440 fitment - ?smd - red
rear fog - 7440 fitment - ?smd - red
reverse light - 7440 fitment - ?smd - white
door card - 501 fitment - 5smd - white
interior light - 31mm festoon - ?smd - white
sunvisor - ?fitment - ?smd - white
glovebox - 501 fitment - 5smd - white
numberplate - ?fitment - ?smd - white

lastly, do the visor/interior lights need to be the domed ones, or would the flat and wide ones fit?

thanks in advance to any replies

Can you use white LEDs in the rear lights and brake light? It's much easier to find white options than red for these 7440 and 7443 bulbs.

Seeing as I'm on an LED hunt at the moment, thought I'd update this. I'm pretty sure this is all correct?

Sidelights - 501 - White
Indicators - 7440 - Amber
Tail light - 7440 - Red
Brake/tail light - 7443 - Red
Rear fog - 7440 - Red
Reverse light - 7440 - White
Door card - 501 - White
Interior map reading lights - 31mm festoon - Any colour you like
Sunvisor vanity mirror - 31mm fuse (vanity bulb) - Any colour you like
Glovebox - 501 - Any colour you like
Numberplate - 501 - White

You need 6Ohm 50W load resistors for the indicator LEDs.

I'm not sure on the 3rd brake light either, is it an LED already?

LED technology is amazing just now.

My bike lights are brighter than most car lights, xenon included, they run 4-p9s on one board. In theory they make about 900 lumens, but I believe in testing they make about 600.

Sadly the only manufacturer that I know of embrasing LED technology is Lexus.

I know! I've got Magicshine MJ-816s on my bike - stupid amounts of bright. Which is why it's so annoying trying to find bulbs for the car, I know the tech is there so why do ALL the eBay bulbs look complete tosh - I've heard plenty of people say they're rubbish light output as well.

Thinking I might try Autobulbs to see if they're any good.

I presume that the cooling is one of the main drawbacks at the moment and possibly the optics.

I have a homemade light here as well that runs two cree led's which is stupidly bright (until I fried the driver)

Thinking about how HID projectors work, the light is along the length of the lamp which makes use of the projector lens and body.

Leds output close to the dye and any optics I have seen have to be really close to the led itself.

Changed my number plate lights this morning, easiest lights to change on the tourer.

New LED on the right for comparison:

DSCF0015.jpg

Can see my blue interior LEDs as well:

DSCF0016.jpg