What's new

DIY Key Fob Refresh (new buttons)

Saf789

Reaction score
Car
2012 I-Dtec Type S
All,
Just a quick one here.

My key fobs were looking old and tired because the buttons had worn down and i didn't like the look of them so had a look at ways of refreshing them.
This is what they looked like:
Keyfob_Before.jpg

After a bit of digging and searching i found these buttons on ebay for approx £3 delivered, from China.
Keyfob_NewButtons_Cropped.jpg

I opened up the key fob carefully and managed to replace the buttons without any problems.
After changing it now looks like this:

Keyfob_After.jpg

And here are both fobs with new buttons and old ones removed.

Keyfob_OldAndNew.jpeg

I am happy with the new buttons, they have a matt silver finish rather than a chrome one like the OEM buttons.
They are obviously not as good quality as OEM and only time will tell how soon they fade out too but at a cost of only £3 (for 6 buttons that do both fobs) - ill refresh them again when they fade.

Thanks for reading.

Look much better something I could do with doing with mine as they look similar to yours was there anything to watch out for or pretty obvious when you get stuck in?

Actually yes there is: be sure to leave the new buttons alone until step 5.

Step 1: Open the single screw to pop the transponder section off, this has the buttons in it.
Step 2: Then you pop the transponder section open with a coin (there is a notch on 1 corner). Here you will see the battery and can replace it.
Step 3: Pry open the button section. It has 4 little clips and what looks like a rubber gasket/seal, be sure not to rip that. With the buttons facing you, you will see the 4 holes where the clips are, just push them through gently. Once you pull it apart you will see its a rubber cover that sits between the board and the buttons.
Step 4: Move the board away and push the 3 buttons out as one piece.
Step 5: Now cut the new buttons away from the frame holding them by comparing the excess plastic to the old ones, keep the 3 buttons connected and remove them as 1 piece.
Step 6: Slot the new buttons in and put the key back together.

Im not technical and changing a car light bulb is as far as i would go really so everyone else should have no problems.
Just be gentle with it thats all.

Have received these now, slight issue is the joining plastic between the buttons has broken in transit will this affect the fitting?

Was looking for these before but could not find them. Thanks for the help OP.

There are about 18 sellers on eBay if you search for "Remote Key Pad Replacement Honda Accord"

Fitted mine tonight they located fine even with the buttons being separated due to damage in transit. Just to add the batteries are cr1616 as I thought it would make sense to replace with new batteries whilst the key was opened.

Thanks for the pointers

Fitted mine tonight they located fine even with the buttons being separated due to damage in transit. Just to add the batteries are cr1616 as I thought it would make sense to replace with new batteries whilst the key was opened.

Thanks for the pointers

Sorry @Blippi, wasn't able to reply earlier but glad you got them fitted. Good job!

Just to add spotted these on aliexpress so fitted one before committing to buying a second....

IMG_20210515_130129__1621252818_148.252.129.155.jpg
Hides the blade sticking out too as my springs are a bit lazy.