What's new

DPF options

Hi guys
Looking for some divine intervention and advice......

Dreaded light has just com on with the exclamation mark. I have vehicle around 2 years and although it is 2010, DPF has been replaced by local mechanic with original Honda part. Total came to around 1400, also had service done.

Is in normal for these to fail so soon ???? Granted, its fitted jus over 2 years, but seriously thought it would have lasted a bit longer...

Thoughts ??

There's no exact science I'm afraid, many variables affect their lifespan. You've done well at 2 years, in my experience they fail just after the first year on a replacement part.

Only real options are replace or remove if you're keeping the car. Or you could take it to a well known auto centre for a
"DPF clean" which includes a regen I think. But it won't last long, maybe weeks maybe a few months. Then part ex it. However immoral that sounds.

DazTheMe said:
Only real options are replace or remove if you're keeping the car. Or you could take it to a well known auto centre for a
"DPF clean" which includes a regen I think. But it won't last long, maybe weeks maybe a few months. Then part ex it. However immoral that sounds.
Seems like lots of diesels with DPF issues are already being dumped in PX!

My father bought a 9th gen diesel Civic last year that, unknown to him, has had its DPF removed. Now his garage have warned him that it is unlikely to pass the next MoT because the test is being altered later this year to specifically detect cars that have had their DPFs removed, eg there will be a proper test of diesel particulate emissions.

Be very careful when buying a secondhand diesel to check that the DPF is present and working.

Hi.

I had the dreaded DPF light come on at about 100k miles, a trip to Honda Lincoln for a DPF regen and £100 lighter. All OK for about 150 mile then light back on, another free regen. then 50 mile light back on, Honda said a new DPF and that will be £1500 sir!!!.

Found on the web that you can buy non OEM DPF's for about £400 http://www.cats2u.co.uk/Catalytic-Converters/HONDA+ACCORD+2.2+Diesel+Diesel+Particulate+Filter

Anyway phone local indi Honda garage who said it could be replaced with genuine Honda DPF for about £1000, non Honda for about £800 both with a year warranty. Or have it removed sent away and cleaned with a life time warranty for £600, if it fails again i only have to pay removal/refit labour -£75. Since that has been completed I have done about 2k miles with no issue.

The local indi was Riccardo Emiliani Lincoln 01522 531735

smokingman said:
Hi. I had the dreaded DPF light come on at about 100k miles, a trip to Honda Lincoln for a DPF regen and £100 lighter. All OK for about 150 mile then light back on, another free regen. then 50 mile light back on, Honda said a new DPF and that will be £1500 sir!!!. Found on the web that you can buy non OEM DPF's for about £400 http://www.cats2u.co.uk/Catalytic-Converters/HONDA+ACCORD+2.2+Diesel+Diesel+Particulate+Filter Anyway phone local indi Honda garage who said it could be replaced with genuine Honda DPF for about £1000, non Honda for about £800 both with a year warranty. Or have it removed sent away and cleaned with a life time warranty for £600, if it fails again i only have to pay removal/refit labour -£75. Since that has been completed I have done about 2k miles with no issue. The local indi was Riccardo Emiliani Lincoln 01522 531735

That option sounds very good, but was it cleaned or cleaned out??

Hi John.

Good question? my understanding was it was cleaned out? in that all soot and other crud was cleaned out so no DPF light, so effectively a new DPF at a fraction of the cost.

smokingman said:
Hi John. Good question? my understanding was it was cleaned out? in that all soot and other crud was cleaned out so no DPF light, so effectively a new DPF at a fraction of the cost.
when I say cleaned out! I mean have you still got one in there??

Hi John.

It is still installed with cleaned internals. Took about four days total inc sent away cleaned and returned and refitted. Garage said the the company is a subsidiary of Euro Car Parts.

During an MOT, how difficult is it for a mechanic to check for a DPF?

I barely know what a DPF looks like(!)but I understand that it is a fat part of the exhaust system and contains like a honey-comb of tiny tubes to catch the particles. Rather than remove the whole unit and replace it with a pipe, couldn't one just, of not remove all of the honeycomb, simply drill a few large holes through them all and close the unit back up again?

Sometimes "the law is an ***" and if the car can be reprogrammed to pass the any actual emissions tests, then I can't see what the problem is.

honda_saj said:
About £1000 it's cheaper to perform egr and dpf off with remap

sent using tapatalk
If I get a remap done to stop the DPF from being needed, my local garage tells me that that there is no need to physically remove the DPF. Is this true? He claims that the remap changes the burn chemistry and that no soot particles will be created, and that any that are created will simply be burned out of the DPF during longer/motorway journeys.

The trouble is that although this MIGHT be true(??) if the car is working perfectly, however I am worried that as the car ages (already 10 years, 100,000 miles) it might soot up again and that the back pressure might damage the engine & turbo. [From memory, F@had even thinks it might set fire to the car.]

So the obvious thing would be to remove the DPF physically. The trouble with that is that I am guessing that this could be visually obvious during any MOT. So one option would be to take the DPF off an knock out all the internals i.e. the actual honeycomb of filtering pipe, and then put it back on. Presumably that would be almost impossible to check for during an MOT.

But I have just spent several hundred quid getting my DPF cleaned professionally. AND if I did fail the MOT, if I kept the cleaned DPF somewhere I could always replace the thing if pushed.

In my case the DPF's pressure sensor has blown up and I am told that ONLY Honda make them and that they are cost £425 + labour to replace. So the temptation to remove the DPF is strong.

OR is there a way to get an second-hand dead DPF casing from somewhere, knock out the internals from THAT and fit that instead, still keeping my cleaned DPF in reserve. But if I did get that done, how obvious would it be during an MOT that this had happened?

There's a nice 8th Gen 2.4 Tourer on Autotrader just now. Why not pay the deposit over the phone and then go and pick it up. They don't come up very often.

Life's too short for all this nonsense.

I had mine removed with just over 80k by Fahad even before the DPF sign came on,the casing is still in place this was done about 3yrs ago it's now got 260k on Auto Ex Gt I've also got the tourer which also has had the DPF removed about 6yrs ago this has 270k on now(which I will be getting rid off shortly) never had a problem passing the new MOT.

I took mine up to Halifax to see Fahad for a dpf removal and they found out it had already been done.
Still wizzed through the mot though.

I also went to Fahad and found dpf was already gutted but done incorrectly as egr not blocked. This was after me buying car with unknown blown egr pipe which i got replaced at Honda which was annoying.

Also went for stage 1 remap and Fahad noticed the map was messed up by whoever removed dpf. All fault codes had been removed so i would never know of any future problem who knows what damage that could of done as car would not go into limp mode in this state.

Fahad however went on to reinstate all fault code tables with his mapping skills and with his included diagnostics checks and tests confirmed the car was solid.

Can't recommend Fahad enough on his work and thanks again. Been trying to join up on here since Fahad did the work in January but new members sign up was locked out

An old thread, I know but I thought I would share my experience from when I got the dreaded DPF light and my 8th Gen Accord Tourer went into limp mode.

After a brief daliance with a spray foam can, a frightening conversation with the local Main Dealer and a great deal of online research I found a company in Maidenhead that has developed a cabinet based flush machine where the DPF is removed from the car in its entirity and then hooked up to the flush machine for 30-45 minutes. Their website claims a 98% cleaning efficiency and a 'like new' performance from the cleaned unit.

https://www.dpfcentre.com/dpf-cleaning-machine/

Fortunately I found a local repair centre that was using their machine and took my car along. £378 later I had a perfectly functioning DPF with a m3/hr flow rate of 434 vs the 286 it had previously. That was just under a year and 11,000 miles ago. I've seen a slight mpg increase and no further issues with the DPF or emissions at the MOT.

My recommendation, if you wanted to avoid the 'legal conundrum' of removal, would be to take this route rather than the cheaper but less effective cleaning soloutions where the unit is not removed from the car.

I cleaned my dpf myself using wynns off car dpf cleaner. Its not an impossible job. Restored lots of power. If youre handy with spanners and have a bit of determination, its something that can be tackled on a driveway at home.