What's new

DPF What is it?

Shaun - I'm not suggesting you've had bad service, but not all remaps are the same. So when someone says they're having issues, which I know none of my customers are having after having their DPF removed, then it can be only one of two things - the mechanical side of things (in this case you removed both cat and DPF) or the remap itself.

I have no issue with reasoned debate, and even though I own this place, very rarely do I get involved with post moderation. The beauty of TA has always been that people are free to speak openly (abiding by the rules of course). My frustration has been with the debate being clouded by your personal experience which is not reflective of what all my customers experience.

You've had one DPF removed where you DIY'd it, and in my opinion, messed it up. I recall you saying you had overboost issues and have also had a recent differential pressure sensor problem. This is in addition to your car producing more smoke than you're probably comfortable with. On this basis, I can't blame you for having the view you do on DPF removal.

I'm sat in the workshop right now and we have a Skoda VRS and MK6 Golf to work on tonight. Both DPF removals. I guess my viewpoint is different because it's not based on a single experience. We've worked on everything from Fords, Vauxhalls, BMW's, Honda's and many other marques including obscure ones like Alfa Romeo!

All have exactly the same symptoms, and all have been perfectly cured once the DPF was professionally removed and vehicle carefully remapped. I've never had a single car come back with a complaint in this regard.

So as per my last post, the rules are the rules and anyone choosing to have this work done should make their own informed decision based on the facts. Any talk of future MOT rules and further changes to the emissions tests is just that, it's talk.

I stay in touch with my friends in the trade for exactly this reason, to decipher the talk from the fact.

There is no need for conflict, and feel free to continue posting your own views mate.

I don't think its right removing DPFs, its not solving the real problem.

It concerns me the particulates and the effect on our health, breathing problems, cancer etc.

We need to think long and hard before buying a diesel with a DPF, is it really suitable for our driving patterns. If we drive so few miles, a petrol is cheaper all around, to buy and fuel and service.

The MoT will catch up with the issue at some point, and a lot of cars are going to be needing DPFs put back in I guess.

Make sure your iDtec is using the right oil and has the latest software updates, then it stands a chance of not blocking the DPF.

I totally agree with that, and of course they were installed in the first place for a reason.

Removal is not the only option, you can always have it replaced.

My BMW has covered 88k miles now in just over 2 years. I've never seen the DPF light come on or even feel it regenerating. This is probably because I'm the perfect driving profile for a DPF car..

Regardless of whether it has a DPF or not, diesel cars just do not make sense for local driving.

Unless you get free diesel ;)....plus the torque of course

Well I guess there is that! Won't be free though as you're paying mr Osborne a handsome whack for the benefit in kind privilege

If a car fails its mot on emissions the tester won't say your dpf is missing or your cat is missing they will just say your dpf or cat is knocked they won't look in to it they would just fail it for having to much emissions.the amount of cars iv Moted over the 8 so years half could of had there cats or dpf's baffles taken out if there's no way of checking that they been cut open and had the baffles out then the tester wouldn't know.for all the tester knows it's just a knacked cat or dpf.then all you do is take car away fit new cat or dpf then take it for retest

Ahh but Mr Osbourne doesn't know I get it for both my company car (VW Golf) and my private car (Honda) ...perk of my job :)

Haha nice !

Adam thanks for clearing that up and that's my point exactly about understanding the new change to the regs. The only change is that if there is visual evidence of something missing then they can fail it. There are no changes to the emissions test.

Also if an mot tester asks if you have removed the insides out of the dpf your not goin to say yes I know I wouldn't if someone asks me.i spoke to the guy who mots my car on Thursday he's happy to mot it for me still.the mot is due in June so il see what happens ;)

Must add i have no visible smoke also, only the smoke test showed a high reading, would like to hear from others who have witnessed their smoke test as the readings of the 1st throttle blip of 3 + where not used in the 3 blip average of .63.

The car runs great 44.5 MPG average & 52+mpg at 75mph, except for P1401 limp mode fault as appeared once in 20,000 mile still not sure what this is awaiting its return so i can take it into powertune.

With regard cleaning or a new DPF mine failed before i bought the car at around 108,000 miles (4 years old) but it was a rep car for around 98,000 miles & i ***ume motorway runs looking at the stone chips on the front. But 4 years at average mileage 12,500 @ 90% local would sound reasonable especially if an ***isted regen was regularly ignored & no additives or where ever used.

F6HAD said:
Shaun - I'm not suggesting you've had bad service, but not all remaps are the same. So when someone says they're having issues, which I know none of my customers are having after having their DPF removed, then it can be only one of two things - the mechanical side of things (in this case you removed both cat and DPF) or the remap itself.

I have no issue with reasoned debate, and even though I own this place, very rarely do I get involved with post moderation. The beauty of TA has always been that people are free to speak openly (abiding by the rules of course). My frustration has been with the debate being clouded by your personal experience which is not reflective of what all my customers experience.

You've had one DPF removed where you DIY'd it, and in my opinion, messed it up. I recall you saying you had overboost issues and have also had a recent differential pressure sensor problem. This is in addition to your car producing more smoke than you're probably comfortable with. On this basis, I can't blame you for having the view you do on DPF removal.

I'm sat in the workshop right now and we have a Skoda VRS and MK6 Golf to work on tonight. Both DPF removals. I guess my viewpoint is different because it's not based on a single experience. We've worked on everything from Fords, Vauxhalls, BMW's, Honda's and many other marques including obscure ones like Alfa Romeo!

All have exactly the same symptoms, and all have been perfectly cured once the DPF was professionally removed and vehicle carefully remapped. I've never had a single car come back with a complaint in this regard.

So as per my last post, the rules are the rules and anyone choosing to have this work done should make their own informed decision based on the facts. Any talk of future MOT rules and further changes to the emissions tests is just that, it's talk.

I stay in touch with my friends in the trade for exactly this reason, to decipher the talk from the fact.

There is no need for conflict, and feel free to continue posting your own views mate.

Thanks mate no conflict intended i as you know I've paid compliments to your work on facebook you have a great reputation no doubting that.

shaun75 said:
Must add i have no visible smoke also, only the smoke test showed a high reading, would like to hear from others who have witnessed their smoke test as the readings of the 1st throttle blip of 3 + where not used in the 3 blip average of .63.

The car runs great 44.5 MPG average & 52+mpg at 75mph, except for P1401 limp mode fault as appeared once in 20,000 mile still not sure what this is awaiting its return so i can take it into powertune.

With regard cleaning or a new DPF mine failed before i bought the car at around 108,000 miles (4 years old) but it was a rep car for around 98,000 miles & i ***ume motorway runs looking at the stone chips on the front. But 4 years at average mileage 12,500 @ 90% local would sound reasonable especially if an ***isted regen was regularly ignored & no additives or where ever used.
Mines bein done on the 26th il take it to work after and do a smoke test to compair the reading.mines only done 50k and it's had the light on twice already :(

Mines done 37k and the light came on last week and had to have a forced regen....coincidentally the light came on the morning after I put a bottle of Millers DPF cleaner in the tank....wandering now if it was this additive that caused the light to come on. It was also the light with the ! after the symbol so no early warning so I could take the car for a drive and try and force a regen myself to clear it. Honda said the reading was 25 but I have no idea what that is in relation to.

Same as mine how much did honda charge you they charged me £108 to do it

They charged £90 plus put a software update on, however he did say that the update was only to iron out issues of previous updates and doesn't address any DPF issues, that update is expected next month sometime.

Well after 50k from 1st August last yr I've got the DPF sign on again this was a brand new filter Honda UK supplied free after troubles I had before. Am I right in thinking this will be still under warranty as only had for 10months, also will I do any damage to the car if keep driving as won't be able to get forced regent until at least Tuesday with it been bank holiday ,got me baffled how it has come on again as I did a Heathrow on Wednesday.
I would appreciate quick response regards doing any damage if keep driving until Tuesday as vehicle as most of you know is a taxi.

Don't drive it with the light on as the light means it needs a forced regeneration and will not regenerate under normal driving conditions.

Can't advise you on warranty as dpf's are a grey area. New vauxhalls actually come with a disclaimer regarding DPF, just ask Lee (impne).

If you need an emergency regen, give me a call I'm around tonight but away with family tomorrow.

Just got back from fahads who did me a forced fegen, will be having removed when light reappears which I'm certain it will

No probs mate, see you soon

Hi fahad, my accord put the DPF light on last thursday and it required a forced regen as it was the symbol with the exclamation mark. The same light has came back on again today. Would it be worthwhile trying another forced regen or should i look to get the DPF removed? There is 160k on the car.

Thanks

We have had some joy at work .. turns out blasting em out with the airline , then steam cleaning the bollocks out of it , followed by another airline attack works wonders . Ours are much bigger than ones in a car but i expect that may make the results even better .. as a thing the size of a dustbin takes a serious amount of steaming before it starts running clear .. Still cheaper than the £600 quid cleaning charge eminox hit us with .

Replace or repair is the only real option mate. I'll drop you a line with more info and pricing.

What is it thats so bad about a forced regeneration? Is it just because the oil get diluted?

Also one for you Fahad. I have a delphi DS 150 will this do a forced regen on the car if ever i need it?
Thanks
Scott

Hi Scott,

A forced regeneration manually creates heat and pressure to try and bring it back down to acceptable limits but in reality it ends up pushing the crap deeper into the filter. All that happens is whilst you temporarily get some relief, you are making it worse in the long run.

In my experience every Honda I've seen that's needed a forced regen regardless of mileage has just needed it again and again not long after.

Don't know about Delphi, but check the special functions menu for the idtec and see if the option is there.

Bear in mind the more regens you do, the more ash is potentially going back into the turbo. I've seen at least two idtec's in recent months needing a turbo strip down and clean because of jammed variable vane actuators.

Hi,
I have got the DPF light on and the exclamation mark. I don't really want to go down the road of DPF removal although I can see why it appeals to people so I have been in touch with a couple of cleaning firms who can do it for around £300 and say it should last for another 50k or so. Has anyone had this done and if so has it worked?
Thanks
Matt

A full removal won't cost that much more and will last for life, also includes removal of the troublesome egr valve and an optional power boost. It's a no brainer, that DPF is doing nothing positive for your car.. And the environmental argument is highly flawed anyway.

Thanks Fahad but what happens if I have a crash and the insurance check the car. I know it might not happen all the time but sods law it would happen to me!

It's a mod, just declare it to the insurance like any other. As long as a car has a valid MoT and is insured, then you're legal. Not sure what it is you're expecting to happen.