What's new

Driving with dpf light on

hale-pope

Members
Reaction score
Car
10 i-dtec tourer ex
Currently after many warning bells and progressions into limp mode- car retrieved from limp mode just by turning on and off again. Dpf with exclamation mark has now come on for the first time and limp mode is permanent.

We are travelling back from holiday and need to go another 300 miles. Granted, whilst not ideal, could this cause irreparable damage?

In addition to this (and I've poured over this topic on this forum so am aware of the issues) would it be at least prudent to try a regeneration first before looking at removal if ever? It has 60k on it.

Many thanks

Prolonged and unnecessary driving not advisable

A forced regen is just delaying the inevitable and causing turbo damage as it clogs up the vanes

My light came on twice in the matter of months fahad did a forced regen on it then i went and had the dpf removed the car had 55k on it at the time.its just hitting 60k and it feels great to drive mpg is loads better aswel

What a pain these dpfs are.

Has your car got the right 0w/30 low saps oil in it? Honda reckon that should stop the dpf clogging?

A right old pain indeed! For the last 15k or so the management Light has come on and the car goes into limp mode and the code that comes first when diagnosed related to the EGTs. Then recently, even with the light already on, other issues arise, each putting the car in limp mode when they arrive. It's like a domino effect! Sometimes I'll turn the car on, or I'll be driving along, and all the system has eradicated all errors, only for them to come back one by one. Today was the first time the dpf! has come on, though some 10k ago the dpf without ! came on briefly.
The oil used is correct and I generally do high miles, no stop starts. Infuriating really!!

Adam is actually an mot and taxi tester and confirmed the emissions were well within limits.

I've seen no mot issues at all. The job has to be done right that's all.

As Fahad said I'm an mot tester my car was MOTed the other month I'm pretty fussy about my car bein MOTed as I carry my twins in my car.if it had failed on the emmisons I would of fitted a new dpf.im 100% confident that any accord with the dpf removed will pass its emission test it is a little higher but still in the limits to pass and the mot tester can't tell it's been removed.

As for the right oil iv used the right oil since owning the car which was on 39k Iv serviced my car every 5k it's just rolling up to 60k I think the dpf is a poor on the Hondas iv been workin on cars with dpf's for a long time and I'd say the accord suffers more than any other cars iv worked on.

If your car is out of warrany I'd look in to having It removed will save you a lot of money in the long run I'd say

Thanks for clearing that up Adam.

Thanks for your input. I managed to get her booked in for a dpf regen at my Honda garage in MK but the regen would not work because of the original issue with the EGTs. The dealer was able to narrow down which EGT was the broken one so they replaced that and then did the regen so we'll see! Just thought I share the update!

adamk said:
As Fahad said I'm an mot tester my car was MOTed the other month I'm pretty fussy about my car bein MOTed as I carry my twins in my car.if it had failed on the emmisons I would of fitted a new dpf.im 100% confident that any accord with the dpf removed will pass its emission test it is a little higher but still in the limits to pass and the mot tester can't tell it's been removed.
As for the right oil iv used the right oil since owning the car which was on 39k Iv serviced my car every 5k it's just rolling up to 60k I think the dpf is a poor on the Hondas iv been workin on cars with dpf's for a long time and I'd say the accord suffers more than any other cars iv worked on.
If your car is out of warrany I'd look in to having It removed will save you a lot of money in the long run I'd say
Big claim to make my friend ,,,,, 100% ? Really ? Thinking about getting this done but v worried about the changes stating that a car that was fitted with a dpf , if removed, will fail mot

I concur. Enough people do have theirs removed and it is a grey area on the mot issue (actually - it's not grey at all - it's illegal but the chances of getting caught are currently remote - but saying that, if illegal how come it is allowed to be done openly..) My stance is if I can have my car working with dpf, I will, as I'll be happier. EGTs can go in petrol cars just as easily. And whilst yes, it appears that Hondas do have weaker dpfs, they are not alone, and it appears pot luck as some folk have no issues.

Just had full service at honda and they put 5/30 in

I didn't think about confirming the oil as you would ***ume they put 0/30 in all of these cars so I had to drop it myself for correct 0/30

Waste of money that was

They wondered why I didn't take it there for mot, I told them why and no response all at

Heard of dealers doing this before, buying one oil to suit a range of cars to cut costs

I was in cornwall and checked oil, I thought hang on if it did need topping up what did they put in

I phoned asking the question just saying I wanted to confirm as didn't want to mix and they said we always put 5/30 in these

I said isn't it supposed to be 0/30 because of dpf and they answered no

Removing a DPF is not the only option, nobody has ever suggested it is. You can simply replace it.

I thought the whole point of fitting DPFs to modern diesels is to cut down the harmful particulates the puff out, soot basically.

This soot is carcinogenic, a real problem in cities where diesels contribute the most to air quality problems. The particules are so fine they get into your blood via your lungs.

I'm not saying petrols are perfect, but a lot less sooty.

impne said:
Heard of dealers doing this before, buying one oil to suit a range of cars to cut costs
I was in cornwall and checked oil, I thought hang on if it did need topping up what did they put in
I phoned asking the question just saying I wanted to confirm as didn't want to mix and they said we always put 5/30 in these
I said isn't it supposed to be 0/30 because of dpf and they answered no
I've found that all 3 Brindley Hondas in the West Midlands use 5w30 even TJ Hughes Telford use it! I'm gonna get some Casterol Edge 0w30 from euro parts and see how much honda knock off for supplying my own oil.

When a DPF works correctly, then yes it does have a positive impact as the designers intended.

When it doesn't, then in many cases (and this is well documented on a number of motoring sites), it has quite the opposite effect.

Any design that is reliant on the driver having to change their driving profile just to make the damn thing work, cannot be a good design in the first place.

Fahad , have you thought about offering a mot failure replacement policy , where if you remove the dpf and the car fails an mot because of that removal, you would fit a dpf at a low price ?

No and I cant see anyone offering this.