What's new

Dropping revs

Tfarm

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hello everyone I'm a new accord owner, (about 2 months) and have a 2011 ex tourer with 88k miles. I'm really happy with it but have noticed that when accelerating fairly quickly the car will get to around 3K revs then drop to around 2k revs before continuing. It does this in every gear. Does this mean clutch is on the way out. I haven't any other issues with the clutch and if I keep the revs below 3k never notice any issues. Thanks for any help.

Is the car a petrol or diesel

A diesel. I've heard the revs go up when clutch is slipping but they definitely go down, it's as if I've put the clutch in briefly.

Might be trying to regenerate your DPF

Either that or slipping clutch if you mean it's climbing then dropping and climbing back

Do the car lose power and do the sound of engine revs change in sequence.
If so I'm guessing but you might have an issue with your DPF.

I suggest that it is clutch slip, but it's only getting noticed as the clutch starts to 'grab' again and bring the revs down?

Try a test... drive up a longish incline around 2000RPM in a high gear and floor the throttle. If the clutch has developed a slip then you will note the engine revs rising out of step with the speed increase. And then - when you take your foot back off the throttle - the revs will fall back again.

Well I've been out again and tried some quick acceleration in different gears and it's been fine so hopefully the clutch is OK.

It probably is what Jon said as it does make sense. It's not like there's been any members experiencing fuel cut.

If your clutch is on the way out putting it under strain to find out will just finish it off quicker and will then definitely need changing. If you drive normally you may get another 12 months out of it.

I did read that someone thought they needed a new clutch and were told it could be glazed and they should try to de glaze it and we're fine after. Not sure how long for though? I can't remember which car forum that was on now but may be worth a google?

Clutch slip on the i-CTDi is usually due to the pressure plate clamping force becoming inadequate, rather than the driven clutch plate becoming worn (which would be the usual way a clutch wears out on other vehicles).

The pressure plate has a self-adjusting mechanism, which means that - to some extent - wear can be compensated for, however this mechanism can be slow to respond... meaning that clutch slip can develop but then recover. Various things can be tried to 'shock' the self-adjusters into action, including using the clutch harshly at take-off a few times, pumping the clutch pedal quickly for a couple of minutes or 'buzzing' the clutch (selecting a inappropriately low gear while travelling at speed and letting the clutch up... MAKE SURE YOU DON'T OVER-REV THE ENGINE WHILE DOING THIS! Or, like me, driving really carefully for a week or two to avoid causing clutch slip while the self-adjusters sort themselves out - my clutch did have a week or so of slipping but has been OK for the last 3 years. Racy Jace is right, sometimes clutch slip can be due to glazing on the drive surfaces, and 'buzzing' or harsh take-offs can help with this as well.

Or your clutch has reached the end of the self-adjustment limit? Clutch replacement on these engines is a common thing, unfortunately.