What's new

Dual intercooler i-ctdi

joooe

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CTDi
After seeing the Civic with two intercoolers in Civinfo forum, I got this (probably stupid) idea of doing the same in the Accord. It's just an idea.

Basically, it would be nice to a have a second intercooler on the other side of the bumper. I have no fog lights, so no problem there (didn't yet checked the space that the windshield water reservoir takes). The two intercoolers would be connected to each other, but nothing would be in front of the radiator, which is great.

Any brainstormers here? :D

Agreed its either rework the existing intercooler or go FMIC and ditch the original one. If you dig deeper on civinfo there is a down side to all this with the low end power.

I see your point, but there's not much space to work the existing intercooler and either space for a front one. :huh:

You dont make the existing one bigger in terms of dimensions you get the core replaced so the surface area is larger and able to flow better.

im not a diesel expert but i do know with petrol turbos the length of the intercooler piping can have an affect on turbo lag. So wont plumbing in another intercooler on the other side of the bumper give you a load more turbo lag...?

You dont make the existing one bigger in terms of dimensions you get the core replaced so the surface area is larger and able to flow better.

Didn't know that. That's good news then.
smile.gif

im not a diesel expert but i do know with petrol turbos the length of the intercooler piping can have an affect on turbo lag. So wont plumbing in another intercooler on the other side of the bumper give you a load more turbo lag...?

Yep, I think the lag will be a problem in the diesel too.

the other thing to think about which they do on Evo's is spray water onto the intercooler to cool it down. you basically have another washer bottle and a pump to spray the water with a button inside the car you could probably use the water from your original washer bottle

Chargecooler FTW B) but they too have down sides say in hot slow traffic.

Spacing to cores opposite is not econimical, you would get laaaaaaagggg :lol:

the other thing to think about which they do on Evo's is spray water onto the intercooler to cool it down. you basically have another washer bottle and a pump to spray the water with a button inside the car you could probably use the water from your original washer bottle

Wasn't that scoobys that had the IC spray on the STI models.

whats the point in having 2 or having one reworks why dont u just measure up behind the bumper and see what u can fit theres plenty of universal ones on the market u can get

As pointed out by monksy, there is a downside to larger intercoolers as you start to lose the balance of efficient power across the rev range. I'm with him on this, in that if you want to do it, just have the stock one reworked. It won't require any additional pipework, mounting etc and you'll get the best of both worlds.

As with all modifications, it depends how far you want to take it...