What's new

EGR blanking

So does the software just hold the valve closed? Any ideas on MPG yet?

Suppose this does offer an alternative to replacing the valve is it ever gets faulty.

Yes mate, keeps it permanently closed and compensates within the maps accordingly to ensure the engine is working properly. No idea on economy, especially as I've been errr driving rather briskly ;)

Well - you have to keep those lovely twin zausts clear ;).

As Carl mentioned in his threads removing the EGR will cause the engine temp to increase due to the increase in cleaner air entering the cylinder causing a bigger combustion. Would the fuel pressure therefore need to be reduced, not increased, to cause a lower combustion and reduce the engine temp back to its usual operating parameters? Or is my understanding a little too basic?

Fahad, have you noticed any change in engine temp since disabling the EGR?

Matt

OK so time to update this thread.. I've been busy this evening. Got a long trip to Scotland tomorrow so I thought I'd undertake some proactive maintenance I've been meaning to do for ages. I've had my car 3 years and atlhough I exercise good maintenance in terms of oil and filters etc I've never bothered to clean the sensors.

So tonight I'll thought I'll clean the MAF, MAP and IMRC. I also drained and bled the fuel filter and serviced the pipercross panel filter. The oil was done yesterday at my mates garage.

The other thing to mention is that some 3k miles on with the EGR Off software, I wanted to return the car to standard Stage 1 and compare the performance and check what the smoking was like as with the EGR mod file, the car definitely smokes noticably more... As the software is still in testing by me, I wasn't too concerned.

Anyways I cleaned all the sensors and refitted... when I started the car the MIL was on.. read the codes.. I had errors for the MAFS and IAT.. strange I thought. After some faffing around I realised that I hadn't plugged the connector onto the MAFS properly, so quickly corrected that.

Restarted the car.. and the MIL is on again. This time P2004 IMRC stuck Open!!

So.. either I've damaged the IMRC when cleaning it (not sure how as all I did was spray inside it with some MAFS cleaner spray) or the part was on its way out anyway. I was a bit gutted to be honest.. faffed around for an hour or so, couldn't get rid of the error..

Also, by this time I had returned the car to Stage 1 (EGR ON) and had decided that the performance gain with the EGR OFF was worth the extra smoke ;)

So I thought I'll just put the EGR OFF back on. Did that.. cleared the error.. and guess what.. the error stayed off. Got on the phone to Elite.. and after speaking to them realised that the EGR OFF software is a complete fix i.e. it doesn't just stop the EGR working, it also maps out any errors or related errors.

So... for those of you suffering with IMRC or EGR issues on the ICTDI, you may wish to consider the EGR off mod from us.

I also fed back to them about the smoking issue and they will work on some new software for me this weekend which should maintain the same power and EGR OFF mod with a bit less of the black stuff coming out ;)

I'll keep you posted. But in a nutshell, with this software the car runs fantastic, economy is the same more or less and the power is really very very good (almost on par with a Stage 2 but without the bite). If they can get the smoking down a bit, I think we're on to a proper winner.

Plus, if it means you don't need to replace expensive parts like EGR valves and IMRC valves.. then it's gotta be worth it's weight in gold.

Interesting reading, but my sloshed brain is is struggling with the concept that there was an inherent fault with your motor?

Either that or you want a CN2 Tourer to test the software on as well and knew I was online.... Cheeky phecker ;).

Interesting to hear about the smoking - after the Cambridge meet I am waiting to see the vid from Dave to understand how my car smokes on an S1 map - can't see any in the wing mirrors, and the tinted tailgate coupled with the self adjusting RVM means I have no chance :(....

Makes me wonder what state my IMRC and EGR are in?

No I think the IMRC was fine until I took it out :blush:

I haven't read the whole thread so don't know how relevant this info will be but the Mondeo TDCI drivers use a blanking plate with a 5mm hole drilled in to it to allow just enough gasses to go through to fool the ecu in to thinking the EGR is still working but stops enough getting through to prevent it from clogging up so no EML etc.

If this method would work with the ICTDI i don't know. but may be worth looking in to possibly.

this is all very interesting but it seems a lot of people have been looking on the net about EGR turning off and blanking and putting links on here and its all about EGR blanking on petrols which is a totally different to EGR blanking on diesels. By feeding the lower oxygen exhaust gas into the intake, diesel EGR systems lower combustion temperature, reducing emissions of nitrous oxides. This makes combustion less efficient, compromising economy and power. Diesel EGR also increases soot production, though this was mitigated in the US by the simultaneous introduction of diesel particulate filters. EGR systems can also add abrasive contaminants and increase engine oil acidity, which in turn can reduce engine longevity.

So what you're saying Paul is that removing the EGR in a diesel is a good idea ;)

Neil, fitting a blanking plate is half the job. The ICTDI has a fair bit of technology and software parameters related to the operation of the EGR so the only proper way to do it is to map it out and compensate the software accordingly (no pun intended). Working really well to be honest. Covered a 565 mile round trip today (on a single tank) ;)

I remember when I tried blanking my honda with the blanking plate and it kept on throwing a CEL light and I was so dissapointed but kudos to elite and fahad who have beat the dreaded egr system...

I posted this in the previous EGR Blanking thread but putting it here also as it answers a few questions, I've updated it a little

I'm posting a couple of articles explaining EGR's, how they work and purpose etc .

Understanding EGR Systems

EGR Systems: Operation and Diagnosis

The biggest problem with blanking the EGR specifically on the I-CTDI, is that fueling is specifically tailored dependent on temperatures, air pressures and flows, the ECU takes into account these and releases a specific amount of fuel to maintain temperatures within the block and ensure optimal performance, via the MAF and MAP sensor, which both contain temperature sensors, together with other adjustments to the IMRC valve to alter the swirl ratio. This would all need to be taken into account when re-writing or erasing any maps, together with addressing any emissions control maps that may put the car into limp mode as the OBD II Emission standards have been breached.

As the EGR introduces exhaust gases to reduce the overall combustion temperature, then it would follow that with the EGR disabled the overall combustion temperatures would increase and in the article posted above it mentions a couple 100 degrees, which could have a cyclic effect causing the engine to overheat. The block is aluminum and has been designed to work in a certain temperature range, given the use of the EGR, I'm also not sure what effect this will have on the valve and seats as they will also be exposed to far higher temperatures than designed to operate in, not to mention the effect on the exhaust manifold, dependent on which version you have. Of course with the increased temperature the cooling system has to cope harder, which again will affect overall fueling.

I personally think it is too tightly designed into the whole running of the engine to be removed without serious issues, plus is it worth it, there are a few DIY's showing you how easy it is to clean it.

There are also plenty of threads showing how one slight thing such as fuel filter, IMRC solenoid vac leaks etc can have such a dramatic effect on the car.

On the other hand I have full faith in Elite to be able to do the maps and clearly it seems to be working well on the Civic and this would be the only way of possibly achieving it rather than sticking a piece of blanking material in the port, which incidentally would also need to be able to withstand the increased temperatures being subjected to it in exhaust gas. however it is still early days, I would be interested to know how the car fairs after say a year or so.

Clearly I am focusing on the negative points here, but it is the negative points that generally upset us when they happen, all I am really trying to say is, is it really worth all the risks, just to avoid cleaning it? (anxiously awaits response :unsure: )

Partload, EGR displaces oxygen in the combustion chamber, leading to a reduction in fuel requirement to maintain a reasonable airfuel ratio. Full load it is used to protect the turbocharger. VVG turbochargers cannot withstand as much turbine in temperature as non VVG turbochargers, typically run in petrol engines as exhaust gas temperatures are higher. Being able to use VVG turbochargers in petrol engines would be a godsend but the materials required to deal with the heat make them too expensive. The only petrol car I know that uses this turbo is a Porsche!

Blanking off the EGR valve could lead to premature turbo charger failure.

^ Yup, which is why an EGR Delete is not a simple 'blank off'.

So do you have any info regarding engine temps, exhaust gas temps, and turbo temps on EGR deleted engines?

Yep of course, Elite who developed the software do. Various logging information was captured over the 10k miles I covered in my own car when it was developed. But it's their intellectual property. All you need to know is it works perfectly, and there is a 100% track record of success with it.