What's new

Engine shaking/misfiring?

DJSR

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i CTDI
Hi all,

Just recently, when i accelerate quite heavily, especially on the motorway, it feels like the engine is shaking alot or like a mis-firing kind of effect. It happens more in 4th gear at around 2500-3000 RPM. I've checked the tyres, they are fine. Any idea's at all??

Cheers

Diesel fuel filter - it's always a good start. Make sure you use genuine.

Could be worn driveshaft if the whole car is shaking

HI, cheers for the replys.

I've got a Nipparts fuel filter in it atm, i think OEM is Destro or something. will replace it, cheers for the info and will check drive shaft.

Hi. Just came off the motorway. It seems to be getting worst shaking/struggling in 4th and 5th, less noticeable in 1,2,3. Acceleration is shaking the engine. Is the engine dieing? Done 116k. Also when u turn left the right wheel is vibrating/wobbling feeling. Not sure what to do. Ive ordered a new fuel filter done balancing today.

Worn drive shaft mate.

F6HAD said:
Worn drive shaft mate.
Hi Fahad, you 100% sure??? whats the best way of checking it? will look for part now, would you go OEM ? anywhere you recommend to get one? Cheers

just came off the phone to honda, there are 2 parts to the drive shaft, joint or full, would i need both? Full = £388+VAT, Joint = £265+VAT

found this joint one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shaftec-Joint-Drive-Shaft-for-Honda-CV1420N-Genuine-OEM-Quality-New-Genuine-OEM-/231469772091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3AHonda|Model%3AAccord|Cars+Year%3A2007|Plat_Gen%3AMK+VIII|Cars+Type%3A2.2i-CTDI&hash=item35e4ac6d3b

FULL http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Print-Right-Offside-O-S-Drivers-Driveshaft-Genuine-OE-Quality-Replacement-/301391319293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item462c5290fd

If i continue driving the car like this whats the worst that can happen?? i've been doing a few motorway trips of recent ?

Lie under your car, grab hold of the driveshaft and give it a shake. If it is loose and moving around then you have found your problem.

If it fails when driving then you will lose drive but if the driveshaft comes out and flails around it could do a lot more damage especially if this happens at speed

Dave G said:
Lie under your car, grab hold of the driveshaft and give it a shake. If it is loose and moving around then you have found your problem.

If it fails when driving then you will lose drive but if the driveshaft comes out and flails around it could do a lot more damage especially if this happens at speed
Cheers for the info Dave.

Local driving seems fine, i can feel small vibrations from the driver side wheel and single knocking sound when i move from stationary, but not all the time.

What other symptoms can i listen out for?? WIll it give off a warning sound as it gets worse?

Problem seems to be the bearing on the half shaft drivers side. Ordered from honda £36 + vat

Ok. above didn't cure the problem so changed driveshaft which didn't cure the problem neither. I'm going to take the car to an MOT bay to get the car lifted and spin the wheels to see how the shafts are turning.

Any other suggestions?

if it is shaking only when accelerating then it is more than likely worn inner drive shaft joints and as previous posters have said you need to feel the shafts to see how worn they are. Or you can take the shafts out and remove the inner joint and inspect for wear marks. As you have only replaced one side maybe it was misdiagnosed and it's the other side?

Cheers for the reply Wookie.

As i mentioned in a previous post, i sm feeling a vibration also from the right wheel when i turn left which made me believe the problem was with the right side shaft, thats why i changed that side. But like you said it could well be the other side, but i dont know what this vibration is on the right wheel.

Guys i have recently noticed something, thought ask for advice.
While driving if i switch Auto climate control button feel and hear a grinding/vibration for only 1 sec. What could be cause of this, rarely happens when manual climate control is pressed.

Thanks

Wookie is a honda technician at a main dealer, he knows his stuff.

The vibration might be a sepreate issue, possibly a bad wheel bearing. Prolonged driving with damaged drivetrain components will eventually ruin other connected components as all that vibration has got to transfer somewhere.

this is becoming a major worry now, so i'm going to book the car into honda for a diagnosis, instead of just guessing and throwing money away.