What's new

Error code p1384

luckypedro79

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-ctdi EX
Right folks, I am getting a recurrent engine fault code of p1384 every time I start the engine from cold. I have googled this and found it to relate to the glow plug circuit malfunction. I have spoken to local honda dealer who was surprisingly helpful and didn't just give the "you need to bring it in for a diagnostic..." line that most give. They advised that the fault could lie with either the glow plugs themselves (one or more) or wirth the glow plug relay. I have ordered the relay since it is the cheaper part at first but my question is this.....

Has anyone changed their own glow plugs as I have read a few horror stories for other car types of glow plug heads snapping off and ending up with cylinder heads having to be removed to remove glow plugs. Am i better off just sending the car to Honda for them to change the plugs if the relay doesn't sort the code or would you guys try a diy?

All opinions welcome.

Hi Peter, glow plug relay? Hasn't this happened right after you took the IMRC off? Is the IMRC behaving normally now then?

I think the glow plug relay has been an issue on some ICTDI's as I remember seeing some posts from other members.. how much was the part?

Peter,

If as Fahad has mentioned you have been doing some work recently on the car, first port of call is to check connections, I suppose it depends on how long you have had the fault. But check the connector to the glowplug relay and glow plug connectors, just to rule it out.

I would have suggested just taking it to the dealers as they would / should be able to identify the problem by checking the resistance on the glow plugs and the relay, it shouldn't be a wild goose chase.

Yeah think is a conincedence that I had been working on the car last weekend. Checked all connections and all seem fine. Relay has arrived so will be fitting tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this solves the problem. Relay was about £37 i think. Def not more than £40.

Yeah think is a conincedence that I had been working on the car last weekend. Checked all connections and all seem fine. Relay has arrived so will be fitting tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this solves the problem. Relay was about £37 i think. Def not more than £40.

Well hopefully if works out for you,

Good luck, keep us posted

hopefully just a coincidence mate...

Right, the relay didn't work. Probelm still there when the car is cold and car is still perfect when warmed up. I think that I am going to put it in to Honda next week unless anybody else has a good idea?

Peter - what exactly is the problem, is it the 'feathering' sensation you described on the phone?

I would think it's probably the IMRC to be honest but am not familiar with that particular error code... could you maybe bring the car down to Leeds and let CJ have a look at it on his Honda HDS?

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/3829-all-new-accord-owners-on-ta/

Peter,

is the error code still occurring? i.e the problem you mention may not be related, as Fahad has said could do with more symptoms, what happens when cold , that doesn't happen when up to temp.

Hi guys thanks for the replies. The feathering has virtually disappeared. The new problem is that from a cold start, the car throws an engine management fault code of p1384 and goes into limp mode. I am unable to clear this code until the engine has started to warm up (i.e. the glow plugs are no longer being used) at which point the car is then perfect.
I suspect that one or more glow plugs are now at fault since I have replaced the glow plug relay but I am very worried about removing glow plugs myself due to fear of them snapping off. Hence, I think that a visit to Honda may be the best option.

Hi guys thanks for the replies. The feathering has virtually disappeared. The new problem is that from a cold start, the car throws an engine management fault code of p1384 and goes into limp mode. I am unable to clear this code until the engine has started to warm up (i.e. the glow plugs are no longer being used) at which point the car is then perfect.
I suspect that one or more glow plugs are now at fault since I have replaced the glow plug relay but I am very worried about removing glow plugs myself due to fear of them snapping off. Hence, I think that a visit to Honda may be the best option.

Well with that code, theoretically only the glow plugs are left, the dealer should be able to test each plug thus narrowing it down.

Good luck

According to Honda......

1 glow plug cream crackered so they are replacing that and should get car back tomorrow. I asked them if they considered the job to be DIY if any others go and they said they couldn't comment :lol:
All good, will post back tomorrow. Wish I was a Honda dealer, I would be a millionaire....

Hey Peter - good news then :)

Fantastic mate :) Enjoy it now!

I had a same situation today.
Started cold engine and received the same error code (p1384) and car goes into limp mode.
Checked all glow plugs, everything alright.

Deleted the error, done the reset of the computer, and havent tried yet on cold engine, but on warm everythings perfect.

gonna try to start it tomorrow and let you know.

PS. Can it be the glow plug relay ?

Could also be a hairline crack in one of the plugs that you cannot see. Most likely cause is the relay though.

You said you'd checked them. How did you do that?

Don't see why you'd need to change them all, but you'd need to know which one's faulty?

You said you'd checked them. How did you do that?

Don't see why you'd need to change them all, but you'd need to know which one's faulty?

Well i have exactly same situation as thread author.
I am going to change one after another to check which one of them is faulty :)
Because i dont know how to check them by myself, and i dont want to take my car to honda dealer :)

I'm really trying hard to find out what checking you've actually done before I make further sugestions!!!

It's not a trick question and I'm not trying to be difficult with you. But how can I make any suggestions if you won't say how you've already checked them (and found them to be alright)?

I'm really trying hard to find out what checking you've actually done before I make further sugestions!!!

It's not a trick question and I'm not trying to be difficult with you. But how can I make any suggestions if you won't say how you've already checked them (and found them to be alright)?

Well i was checking one after another, because i though im going to see one of them cracked or something like that.

So all you've actually done is a visual inspection? And I'm guessing you didn't remove them to do this?

You really need to check the continuity with an ohmmeter/multimeter while applying some finger pressure to them to try to show up any poor internal continuity (such as a hairline crack, which is quite possible). If you don't have a meter to do this then you can improvise with a small 12v lamp and some cables, but it's difficult to explain this unless you have some electrical knowledge, tbh.

So all you've actually done is a visual inspection? And I'm guessing you didn't remove them to do this?

You really need to check the continuity with an ohmmeter/multimeter while applying some finger pressure to them to try to show up any poor internal continuity (such as a hairline crack, which is quite possible). If you don't have a meter to do this then you can improvise with a small 12v lamp and some cables, but it's difficult to explain this unless you have some electrical knowledge, tbh.

Thanks for advice. I removed them to check visually. But did not noticed any hairline crack. Well i think ill wait for the glow plug, because i dont have any electrical knowledge as you said :)

If you only buy one, change it for one of your's and wait to see if it fixes the problem for certain. If it doesn't, then the one you took out is probably OK, so then replace another old one with that. And so on until you're rippled through all of them. If the problems still there then it's probably the relay.

Or it may be cheaper to replace the relay first?