What's new

Error code p1384

hey you was right ! ive checked the glow plugs with the wires, using battery, and all of them was alright !
now im looking for the relay..

If you connect the light bulb up to the glowplug, then it'll tell you if the relay is switching the current through OK.

Seeing as how you obviously understand a bit about electrics then you may as well test the relay before buying a new one.

If you connect the light bulb up to the glowplug, then it'll tell you if the relay is switching the current through OK.

Seeing as how you obviously understand a bit about electrics then you may as well test the relay before buying a new one.

Well i thought its only these two things can be with this error code. glow plugs or glow plugs relay.

Probably. I guess a bad connection is also a possibility?

I'd unplug the relay and make sure the connections don't look corroded.

Probably. I guess a bad connection is also a possibility?

I'd unplug the relay and make sure the connections don't look corroded.
Already checked the connections and tried to unplug and plug it back. i'll wait for the new relay :)

It is old thread but I would ask where glow plugs relay is? I mean which one from the fusebox under bonnet?

JapCar said:
It is old thread but I would ask where glow plugs relay is? I mean which one from the fusebox under bonnet?
Nobody answered the question...but I will ask another one:
What is the resistance of glow plug? Did somebody check it?

Buy a new one and check it. That's the only way to know.

F6HAD said:
Buy a new one and check it. That's the only way to know.
I did it, the resistance was as I expected (about 1 Ohm) and when installed it , after started the engine in few seconds came on Check System. Recorded error was Glow plugs and after checked new one it was burned... I don't know if the glow plug was cheep fake one, or the resistance generally should be different, thats why I ask here if somebody checked the resistance...It is very easy by multimeter/ohmmeter...

Probably a cheap one, which is why I always advise people to use genuine only in this car.

Few months ago I asked what is the resistance of a original glow plug (post 39) and described what happened when changed one glow plug...I put old one back and used the car till now.
I had no problem with starting the engine but checked glow plugs (again like before) because cold season is coming. All of them have different resistance (3 to 80 Ohms) and every time I measure them it is different which definitely is no OK.
This time I bought 4 glow plugs from eBay (from Germany). The resistance was again around 1 Ohm which I think should be right. I changed again just one of them. First time when started the engine, no problems, bet next time MIL came and got limp mode...Cleared the error (1384) and no problems until got home.
I expected the glow plug to be burned out as before but it wasn't, resistance was the same, 1 Ohm. Just in case I put back old one
(36 Ohms???) to see what to do?
I red many threads and everywhere people mentioned the glow plugs must be genuine but nobody say why. What's the matter if resistance is the same? How ECU recognize non genuine glow plug and reacts by MIl...if ?
I wander as well, why always the glow plugs are marked 11V, not 12V ?

I believe the relay is looking for a return signal within a specified time and if it doesn't get it, it throws up a glow plug malfunction error.

F6HAD said:
I believe the relay is looking for a return signal within a specified time and if it doesn't get it, it throws up a glow plug malfunction error.
I can't explain what I see on the diagram...I expected power switch to glow plugs (from GP Control Module) to be connected to any power 12V fuse but on the diagram it goes to ECM... And why glow plugs are for 11V?
b16546ce38f8.jpg

Glow plug control relay is a separate relay from the fuse box. It should have a yellow dot on the side of it. The early accords had problems with them and they were replaced with a modified unit hence the yellow dot. But they can still fail. I would try a relay unit first.

wookie said:
Glow plug control relay is a separate relay from the fuse box. It should have a yellow dot on the side of it. The early accords had problems with them and they were replaced with a modified unit hence the yellow dot. But they can still fail. I would try a relay unit first.
My relay is like black ones from the link but didn't noticed yellow dot...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=glow+plug+relay+accord&biw=1252&bih=526&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIvvLv3ZfAyAIViwMaCh3D_Qvl
Isn't it that relay whole Glow Plug Control Module?
Yesterday I connected to one of glow plugs LED which attached by masking tape outside on the windscreen (temporary for test) , so I can watch when relay supplies glow plugs. Today temperature was about 6 deg and LED was ON about 0.5 miles (2-3 min) after started the engine and pulled off.
Many people think the glow plugs heat just when dashboard light is ON (about 1-2 sec) but actually it is as I described, it is longer depending of outside temperature. On my last car, Avensis D-4D was similar...
So I think my relay is OK.

Apart temporary LED connected to one glow plug, I put another wires inside the car connected to multimeter and another glow plug to see what is the voltage until glow plugs heating. I've got another voltmeter plugged in cigarette lighter socked showing battery voltage.
Conclusions after my experiments:
After ignition ON (about 6-7 deg outside), glow plugs heating about 8-10sec and switches off if don't start engine. The voltage is about 11V but battery voltage is about 11.5V (probably battery is not so good (still the current is quite big, about 30-40A for all glow plugs)
After start engine and pull off, glow plugs start heating again for 3-4 min (0.5-1 miles). During that time battery voltage is about 14.1V and glow plug voltage is 0.5V less. (I still wander why all cars glow plugs are marked as 11V )
So, dashboard glow plug light doesn't show real time they are heating, it goes off after 1-3 sec after ignition is on, just to show you can start engine...