What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

Hi all.

Another happy Honda owner.

One month later and my car smells fresh again.All thanks to Marshall Honda Mountsorrel.
Took the car for inspection on a garage in Leicester,wich confirmed a faulty exhaust mnifold (£800 worth labour +part). After that got in touch with honda UK and explained the issues and asked nicely if they can help in anyway,either cover the whole cost ,either part of it.
The guy i've spoke to advice me to have it inspected by a honda dealer and get back to him after.
So I'very took it to Marshall Honda and they'very said the same thing but,the guy in charge of service department told me is not going to be covered by them taking in consideration the age and mileage of the vehicle.
Went back home called honda uk again,spoked to a nice lady who escaled my case to customer services,telling me I will have an answer in 3 working days.4 hours later got an email saying that everything will be covered by Honda.

Thank You Honda
Thank all of you who wrote their experiences in sorting this problem.

I thought I'd try this myself. I have emailed Honda Customer Relations about a fume smell on my 2004 Accord CDTi. It has 129k miles. I'll post any reply I get, hopefully they will show me a bit of compassion.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you know my exhaust manifold replacement experience so far.
2007 Accord Tourer 2.2l 118k

Booked car in for a Honda diagnostic at local dealer.
Reported cracked manifold and advised to contact Honda customer relations to enquire about replacement.

Dealer quoted £689 fitted for a new manifold outside of warranty.
Honda customer relations called me back two hours later and have offered to pay for the parts and only charge for labour £250.

Would have liked for them to honour it all but not a bad result overall.

Not bad at all for a 10 year old car mate. Fair play

Great stuf thanks for update let us know how it goes

sent using tapatalk

Just had manifold replaced under good will, they paid parts I covered the labour. 56 reg 106k miles. Only cost me £310.

sent using tapatalk

Hi all,

Just wanted to update again. I actually went back to Honda customer service today and decided to broach the question of them paying the full cost parts and labour.
My reasoning due to there being nothing I could have done as a customer to prevent the fault.

Both Sam and Kate the agents I spoke to have been very pleasant to deal with.

They said that Honda would never cover the full cost of labour due to all the dealerships being franchised and it is up to the dealership to offer good will at their own discretion.

My local dealer has opted to offer no good will (sods ;P) but the Honda customer service were good enough to call them and discuss the pricing.

So parts only it is...but £687 down to £260 isn't too bad.

Honda after sales care has always been pretty good to be fair.

Guess who's diesel's just cracked a manifold?

Going to have a crack at an eBay pattern jobbie and do a DIY for on here.

No chance of Honda fishing me out of trouble on this one. My car has a 2011 civic motor in it. Seems the late manifolds were no better off than the early ones. Approx 118k on the motor now.

Not a difficult job to do, but an annoying one nonetheless.

Oh joy.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Guess who's diesel's just cracked a manifold?

Going to have a crack at an eBay pattern jobbie and do a DIY for on here.

No chance of Honda fishing me out of trouble on this one. My car has a 2011 civic motor in it. Seems the late manifolds were no better off than the early ones. Approx 118k on the motor now.

Not a difficult job to do, but an annoying one nonetheless.

Oh joy.
Can you see the crack? Are you getting fumes in the Cabin?

Yeah, removed the heat shield earlier and it's gone on no. 1

Fair enough

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Goodluckmonkey said:
Yeah, removed the heat shield earlier and it's gone on no. 1
Okay, thats fine then. I smelt fumes in my FR-V, it was the injectors in my case.

Hope gets sorted soon

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I have been experiencing exhaust fumes in the cabin of my 2005 I-CDTI and after reading through all the comments posted on the subject I took my car to the local Honda dealers in Newcastle (after reading the messages I felt more able to fight nmy own corner) The mechanic came and took a look and a sniff around and said that he thought there was a cracked weld in the manifold and that they would contact Honda UK for a decision regarding replacement. An hour later when I got home there was a message from the dealer saying that Honda would foot the bill for the replacement of the manifold and the labour cost involved - Result.
As a Newbie to the site I would just like to express my thanks to those members who took the time to post details of their own experiences on the subject of the exhaust fumes, if I had not read them I would still be loloking for a solution - Once again Thank you.

I had to do mine as soon as I bought my car as well. My old heat shield didn't fit the new manifold though, so keep that in mind when you pick one.

If you have a friendly welding shop and you have a couple of days you can have the old one rewelded.