What's new

Exhaust fumes/smell in cabin I-CTDI

I have just purchased a 55 plate CTDi Tourer and have noticed the fume smell at start, although it does dissipate once moving... the car is at 85k with a full history and i'm curious if I can contact Honda being the 3rd owner of this car? i.e. is the warranty on the car or the first owner?

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I'm a bit new to this

The warranty is 7 years and 125k whichever comes first. Yours is therefore expired..

We offer a fixed price repair at £200 in Bradford if interested.

thanks for the offer however I have since spoken with Honda UK and they have offered to repair under warranty... brilliant!

Folks I have a 2005 ictdi exec with all the toys. She'***** 172k and now I know the exhaust manifold is cracked. I nipped down to hepworth honda in Huddersfield, they contacted honda uk people and honda uk have agreed to cover the full cost of parts and labour. The service manager has ordered the manifold kit and will give me a ring once the kit arrives and I then just have to drop her off.

Brilliant result I reckon especially with 172k on the clock, well out of warranty, and honda history only up to 108k

update

My local honda dealer have the replacement manifold and kit in now, i'm dropping her off tommorow morning, Paul the service manager told me it will take approximately three hours. Great customer service from Honda uk :) as they are paying for everything.

Dropped her off first thing this morning and got her back 4pm this afternoon. She is so so much quieter and feels more refined.

High five honda uk!!!

Hi all, i think my manifold is also split, its 2008 getting fuel smell only in the mornings on cold start and losing power or like a misfiring when changing gear. I also notifce the sound of the engine gets very noisey like a clattering sound.

I've just hit 130k, but the car is 7 years old now, am i still under warranty??

It's under 125k and 7 years so you're out of warranty but it's worth taking it in and having a polite word with a friendly dealer as it's not out by much.

Hi Fahad thanks for the reply.

Do you think it sounds like the manifold has cracked? Would this misfiring problem I'm getting relate to the cracked manifold? Cheers

Yes either the manifold or possibly a leaking injector

Ok thanks fahad. Any chance you'll be down in London anytime soon?? :)

Out of the country on hols until 5th September but yes after that I can be for any tuning. Drop me a line to arrange

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and needed some clarification on the Accord manifold issue. I understand the repair applies to cars less than 7 years or less than 125k miles. For clarification purposes I have a 57 plate '2008' CTDI which has covered 107k - should Honda offer to replace the manifold free of charge ? Current position with the local dealer is that it is out of range, but its a 2008 car on their database ?!? :unsure:

Speak to honda GB directly

Think I have the same problem on mine, 2007 and 124k. From reading (most of) this thread it seems that a lot of people are still getting it fixed even if the car is just out of warranty, many of whom seem to have spoken directly to Honda UK. Can anyone confirm the phone number they've used, as it looks like I'll be trying to do the same?

Thanks in advance...

Just for information. If someone is going to this on your one, I have made a DIY on changing the maifold. You will find it under 7th gen DIY ;)

FWIW, the civic manifold is exactly the same.
I have one on my accord.

The difference in the exhaust run is in the turbo exhaust housing and elbow.

Burly Chassis said:
Think I have the same problem on mine, 2007 and 124k. From reading (most of) this thread it seems that a lot of people are still getting it fixed even if the car is just out of warranty, many of whom seem to have spoken directly to Honda UK. Can anyone confirm the phone number they've used, as it looks like I'll be trying to do the same?

Thanks in advance...
Answering my own question: Honda Customer Contact Centre 0845 200 8000. Have rung (customer services) and am waiting for someone else (customer relations, apparently) to call me back with a decision... *fingers crossed*

Good ole Honda.

I'm very impressed. It's service like that on used cars, that sees people buying new from them when the time comes.

Brindley Honda in West Brom just changed my exhaust manifold on my 2006 CDTi. Painless. 119k on the clock, but it did have full service history, only just bought the car as well!
This 06 replaces my 04 one - which developed a nasty timing chain racket... so thats going on the scrap pile - still parked in the drive way ready to be towed away on Saturday!
I swapped over my original 16 inch wheels from the old one to the new car which came with some crazy 17 inch wierd alloys and the ride is smooth like butter...
She makes me smile!
Now to do some sound proofing!

Just a quick question - it appears that the manifold from Civic fits on the Accord.
Has anyone fitted a manifold from CRV or FRV? Should be the same, I guess.

Is it just the CDTI covered by the extended warranty? I'm pretty sure this has happened on my petrol. It's not within range age wise but I was hoping they might subsidise it slightly..

No warranty on a cracked manifold on a petrol, it was a known issue on the diesel only. On a petrol model, rather than manifold being cracked, more likely that the gasket is blowing

Just wanted to let everyone know that I had my manifold replaced this week by Chiswick Honda, free of charge! I just called the customer contact centre and told them about the smell of fumes inside the car. They booked it into my local Honda dealer (Chiswick ) and once I had confirmation that the manifold was cracked they offered to cover the full cost of replacing the manifold including labour! Very happy. My car is a 2005 Honda Accord CTDi and had 109,000 miles on the clock and did not have a FHSH. Thank you Honda!!

Perhaps with all the recent emission related scandals, Honda are playing it safe and honouring repairs on what is a known manufacturing defect.

Good result in either case.

Chiswick Honda is their flagship store in the UK.
Bought my Subaru from them as it had just come in p/x.
They were brilliant to deal with, had great attitudes, let me speak to their head tech when I collected, and even filled the wife and I up with free coffee as they had a Costa's in store.
When I was looking at a new civic, I was speaking to them, an hour and a half away, because customer service standards are worth everything in my opinion.

sweetazbro said:
Just wanted to let everyone know that I had my manifold replaced this week by Chiswick Honda, free of charge! I just called the customer contact centre and told them about the smell of fumes inside the car. They booked it into my local Honda dealer (Chiswick ) and once I had confirmation that the manifold was cracked they offered to cover the full cost of replacing the manifold including labour! Very happy. My car is a 2005 Honda Accord CTDi and had 109,000 miles on the clock and did not have a FHSH. Thank you Honda!!
and a huge thank you to everyone from this forum for posting this information!!

Honda should be ashamed of their selves. all these cars should have had a recall on them. carbon monoxide is a killer. as honda know about this problem they should take responsibility, regardless of age or mileage on the vehicle. if it was a problem with air bags or brakes they would heve recalled them. carbon monoxide can cause people to fall asleep at the wheel, it can kill. people need to get together and make a big issue of this.what is the price of a life. shame on honda. disgraceful to let people drive around with a potential killer problem